Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 10:35 pm

It's interesting that people think being autistic or aspie means you have no ability to translate or interpret other peoples' feelings, intentions, etc. Sometimes it takes longer and of course by then the opportunity to respond has passed, but it doesn't mean one doesn't get it or understand at all. That's kind of like saying you aren't human. If you can't translate at all then there is something seriously wrong.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 11:23 pm

Yes. I am extremely unempathetic.

It's very hard for me to feel sad for someone. Or happy. Or whatever.

The closest thing I get to empathy is being angry that someone hurt someone I like.

Don't get me wrong; on an intellectual level I certainly can think that something that happened to someone is a good thing or a bad thing but I don't feel anything.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 1:31 am

Inability to translate or interpret the feelings of others = Lack of Empathy and/or Sympathy

Lack of Empathy = A Psychopath

A Psychopath = Non-human or Inhumane in character

In other words, the Psychopath does have little or no humanity which also includes an inability to empathize with others. Some doctors have it wrong in this instance and are confusing psychopathic traits with autistic traits. Autistic people as a whole do not have these characteristics. In fact, they are just the opposite and have even more humanity, kindness and sensitivity than average.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 1:48 am

Narcissists' and other personality disorders share similar characteristics and traits with the psychopath, and lack empathy.

Many won't like me for saying that, but I frankly don't give a damn whether these people like me or not.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 2:17 am

I do feel when people experience things... not always the SAME things they feel, but I do imagine myself in their situation (sometimes a little too vividly...) and act according to how I would feel in that situation, so long as I can imagine myself in that situation.

Unfortunately, when I don't quite understand the situation and how one found themselves in such a position, I tend to ask a lot of questions, which to some comes off as being insensitive. I can't feel a certain way JUST because that other person over there looks like they're feeling that way - I need to know why, or feeling as such doesn't make sense!

On the other hand, when I do understand someone's situation enough to feel it, some emotions are easier for me to feel, handle and express than others - anger is a lot more manageable for me than straight sadness or resignation, and sometimes with those "easier" emotions I go too far, feeling more than the person actually affected does. That's gotten me in trouble sometimes.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 3:28 am

I have a sort of selective empathy....

Sometimes it feels as if it is very difficult to reroute my particular mindset towards the feelings of others...if that makes sense.....

I don't always pick up on what other people are going through..but when I do, it is sometimes difficult to care....

it does kinda feel like a form of lethargy...or like my mindsets are going to go where they are going to go and will not be rerouted to focus on someone elses problems....

then sometimes I can sorta be overly empathetic......depending on the situation....