Do other people make fun of your autistic behaviors?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2008, 1:20 am

Just wondering what behaviors have you been made fun of for? When I was little I used to close my fist and rub against my mouth and get called "funny faces" by my family. I still do this but I learned to do it only when alone because I don't want to get harrassed about it. :?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 1:26 am

Curling my hands up against my chest and not talking were the two main ones in high school.

Now, only in friendly jest by my mother, rather than derision like at school (though, I suppose I've been made fun of around the 'net, here and other places in the past due to how I interact "socially").

Sir_Beefy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2008, 1:29 am

People used to call me ret*d, but they don't anymore. My sister was the worst offender.

23 Aug 2008, 1:33 am

I was called weird and a show off as a kid because of my odd body movements, faces I made, etc. Also I hated certain clothes and I hated my skin bare skin in my arm pits touching so I always pushed my shirt to my skin and hold it there. Kids thought I did the "chikka chikka boom boom" thing. Saw that as showing off. I was also made fun of the way I talked and the fact I was clumsy. I was also called stupid because I was gullible, didn't understand sarcasm or humor.

Today I still get crap sometimes about me being literal. I got it last night but I wasn't sure if he said he was joking to manipulate me or he was serious about him joking and he was mad because I didn't pick up on it.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2008, 1:38 am

Yeah, the best example I can think of is when I was rocking really fast, and my two friends I was with started laughing at me and one of them said, "What the hell are you doing!? Are you ret*d or something?"

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 1:46 am

O, and when I did talk to those I could talk to, "slow" was the usual word thrown at me (which in said circle, equated to "ret*d").

I never thought that I was being made fun of in many cases, but I now realize that I was.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:28 am

I had a hell of at time at school, especially from grades 7 to 9. They made it very known to me that I was a complete outcast... and the sad fact of the matter is, they are right in many ways anyway.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:56 pm

Lets see Ive been called....weird, strange, crazy, insensitive, copy cat, dork, ret*d, eyes without a face (love that one), freak, stupid and some things I cant print here.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 1:49 pm

In school I used to have horrible, meltdown-like tantrums, and the other kids would trigger them on purpose. I would always say "Leave me alone" and they would always mock that back at me.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 1:53 pm

The way I talk and point sometimes in debate. Well they'd joke that when I use 3-4 fingers I'm serious but when I use 1 finger to point and jesture when talking I'm not that serious. One of my math teachers said that, lol. :P

I wonder if he suspected I was autistic. Probably.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 4:04 pm

Not any more. I'm not sure I do anything too obvious. I seem to send out a subliminal message that makes people not attempt social interaction with me, but I don't do anything they could make fun of, exactly.

When I was younger it was an entirely different story. I was harassed to the point where I couldn't even think about attending school without having a total shutdown/meltdown/whatever you want to call it. I didn't physically attend school from ninth grade to college (which I started when I would have been in eleventh grade).

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 4:11 pm

I was often mocked because of my tics. My mother also likes to mock my other quirks like executive disfunction and problems that derive from it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 4:21 pm

My posture, poor physical ability, the way I talk, my lack of response to NVL, etc... YEP!

camelonajourney
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2008, 5:54 pm

When in primary school I would get upset really easily (and what I now recognized as meltdowns) over what other kids thought were simple things. I got call crybaby, freak, crazy, etc.

Nowadays when someone calls me a freak or weird or crazy I turn it back on them and make it a compliment. Most of my 'friends' call me these in jest, and I've learned to let it roll off.

My best friend has AS, too, and I joke around and call her Rain Man when she's upset and acting particularly aspie to cheer her up. It's a running joke now.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 6:15 pm

One time, an acquaintance of mine told me that she had seen a boy in our neighborhood making fun of me for stimming (which in my case is running around with my music on). I was secretly happy to hear that his father had come outside to punish him.

Jael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2008, 6:39 pm

People have always found my formal speech pattern very comical and to this day it provokes occasional laughter at work. I've never really minded...it's mostly been good-natured teasing, not malicious or hurtful. My habit of talking to myself and inanimate objects is a standing joke among those who know me and my physical clumsiness has also made me the butt of many amateur comedians. It's all part of the odd package that is me. :P