Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:23 am

I'm with you on hating ignorance. That is exactly why I have had so many problems on other forums to the point of being called a troll LOL. Someone makes an ignorant comment like that and I blast them, then they all just have ganged up on me. And to be honest, these days I am pretty sick of most people in general because.. not only do they not "get it" but they just don't WANT to "get it" (and that is what makes them ignorant more than anything)

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:37 am

To me, you just acted the way most people would, you expected him to be understanding, you just probably weren't thinking clearly enough to ask why he had those opinions and thoughts. Maybe it was something like lazy people not working by choice.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:38 am

Sure, you'll find jerks at every level. It's a mix. It's just less of a mix at the bottom. They don't even know enough to fake it. They flaunt their Willful ignorance and openly use ridicule and name-calling as though they don't know there's anything wrong with it. They'll say things like "don't be smart" or "everybody believes" without the slightest hesitation or apology.
Yes, "educated" people do all of those things, but it's less often and more subtle. In the school yard, they'll openly say, "I hate him because he's ugly." Adults need to play "gotcha." They have to wait for you to make some trivial mistake and use it as an excuse. You get less of it, less often.
Ridicule and name-calling don't go as fast or as far.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:47 am

I just read some ignorant comments on some politics and it has gotten me realy angry, basicaly seeing all of the people I suport being insulted as being idiots and someone I thought was terrible being treated like a god. I dont know it just looks like the people that would like the progress loving party are just more able to get facts and stuff to push there opinion. While the ones who care more about looking after the people just are not able to do so, the coment that got me the most was when they called one of the greatest politicians Golph Whitlam a insulting name.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:48 am

But educated or no if they don't like you they all say it when you are not around and then decide, collectively, what to do with you. Sometimes it means losing your job. Sometimes, being ostracized by coworkers. Sometimes they humilate you by treating you like a complete incompetent when you are far more competent than they are. Maybe that's why. They realize you are more competent when they think you shouldn't be so they have to try and humilate.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:00 pm

I know, I know, willful ignorance can go right to the top. Saturday Night Live, George Bush on Global Warming (2006) http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=902de31e18
Still...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
They realize you are more competent when they think you shouldn't be so they have to try and humilate.

I believe that's one of their many complex motives. They can't pigeon-hole you, and it makes them crazy. They don't understand themselves or their own motives. They only know that your existence makes them uncomfortable. So they "vote" in private. They have a million complex psychological issues and are competely unconscious.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:05 pm

You should not judge someone on there inteligence, I thought that and would use someones lack of inteligence as an insult. But I realised some of the best people I know are of lower inteligence, for me ignorance is that you are not smart but the fact you reject information and or insult anothers. And if you say that all people of lesser inteligence are ignorant people who do not know what they are talking about then you are the ignorant one. For instance I was bullied by people that were probably smarter then my friend but I would call the bullies way more ignorant.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:06 pm

Tahitii

And when you call that to their attention (so many advocate that simply talking about something is all that's needed to solve it)they turn it around on you and try to make everyone think you are crazy for making a big deal about it.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 23 Aug 2008, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:09 pm

I don't even know what intelligence is anyway. There is intelligence and there is ignorance. Intelligent people can be ignorant thus appearing unitelligent offsetting the fact that they are intelligent.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:15 pm

Well say you someone was inteligent and thought up the most productive plan, but the thing is that person could be ignorant and not care about how others are affected. I think that could be an example, ignorance may not always be about the raw facts.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:44 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
You should not judge someone on there intelligence, I thought that and would use someones lack of intelligence as an insult. But I realised some of the best people I know are of lower intelligence, for me ignorance is that you are not smart but the fact you reject information and or insult others. And if you say that all people of lesser intelligence are ignorant people who do not know what they are talking about then you are the ignorant one. For instance I was bullied by people that were probably smarter then my friend but I would call the bullies way more ignorant.
You're right.

I was talking about the general culture that emerges in a self-selected group.
Some cliches become cliches because they are so often true. Engineers are more likely to value logic. Elementary teachers are more likely to value outdated crap and do everything they can to force you to conform to a world that no longer exits. If it kills you, oh well, at least they tried.
Military people are more likely to value uniformity. Not always, but in general.

Rather than try to make words like "intelligence" and "ignorance" cover too many bases, it works better to be more specific. We're really talking about a thousand issues at once. So many variables and so little time... Logic, compassion, information, personal baggage, willful ignorance, experience, motive, trust, herd-instinct, tolerance, self-esteem, greed, fear, communication, personal investment...

Intelligence (IQ) itself is so far down the list that it usually doesn't matter.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 1:18 pm

Greentea wrote:
I'm not saying all guys are stupid, of course. I just happened to always attract guys who were too simple for me and who believed strongly in the high value of remaining as simple as possible and changing me to become a lovely un-thinker.

I agree. Blokes find me attractive and simply don't listen to me, they are after one thing and I am not interested. I hate it when they pretend they are listening and then the next day they say they didn't know you were interested in astronomy/cooking/maths or whatever when you have already told them that. Then they try to make an excuse to hold your hand or touch you in some way, like, oh that jersey looks soft, what is it made of and then try to touch the clothing. God, they bore me. *Yawns*

The bloke that was after me had a degree and seemed intelligent but he was lecherous. Ugh.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2008, 1:53 pm

I do understand, it's very difficult when people say something ignorant and not get angry with them. My hairdresser a few weeks ago started telling me how Laura Ingalls Wilder's (Little House on the prairie....) father in real life was nothing like the tv show and was actually really mean (etc.) It made me angry because I loved the Laura Ingalls books growing up (the real story in her own words) and she loved her father very much and always told about how kind he was. I've researched Laura and her family to the point of even visiting her home in Missouri because the books meant so much to me growing up. I always wished I had such a wonderful family as she had that she would write a series of books about her life growing up. So I obviously know far more about her than this woman who was suddenly telling some horrible story that wasn't even true about a wonderful man who loved his family and never mistreated them. Made me so mad beyond words. :? I made sure to correct her several times as she kept trying to cover her ignorance.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 2:44 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
A person once asked me why I still work a job. He said "You could EASILY make $250,000/year!" Sad to say, but he MIGHT be right. My procastination, unwillingness to even say a HALF truth, obsessive interests, etc... make it harder for me though.

Your "procrastination" is the result of an instinct that says "this one is probably another dead end, and not worthy of my time."
In this case, your instinct is right. Whatever he's selling is a dead end. He's just a pimp, and a liar. What he doesn't understand is that you would not be able to make money for him, even if you tried. Those schemes are too transparent. No Aspie could make money at a game where every step involves being a fully conscious whore.

MAN did you read that WRONG!! !! !! It ISN'T a dead end, and I spent plenty of time on it! He was selling NOTHING to me! He was HONEST! I made LOTS of money for him(never charged him a PENNY)! WHAT SCHEME? Sooner or later, we ALL prostitute ourselves!

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 3:17 pm

nettiespaghetti wrote:
I do understand, it's very difficult when people say something ignorant and not get angry with them. My hairdresser a few weeks ago started telling me how Laura Ingalls Wilder's (Little House on the prairie....) father in real life was nothing like the tv show and was actually really mean (etc.)

I'm not quite sure why you were so angry.
From an impartial, external perspective, it simply looks to me, as though she's done what you have in reading the books - but has the added benefit of having met the man himself.
How does that make the hairdresser ignorant ?
Surely she was just expressing her impressions of the man she met.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 3:34 pm

Wikipedia says that Laura Ingalls lived from 1867 to 1957 and that Charles Ingalls lived from 1836 to 1902. It seems unlikely that the hairdresser met her father.