Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:12 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Anyway I digress. God knew of the human condition, but really couldn't, as an immortal being, truly understand it until he became mortal through Jesus.

I will say only that God knows a lot more than I ever will. Beyond that, I won't speculate as to the bounds of His knowledge or understanding.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:13 am

I am fascinated by anyone who could psychoanalyze God. Professionals require years of couch time to do it to mortals and here we have someone who can clearly peer deeply into God's brain (assuming that's what he thinks with) through what can only be second hand information.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:16 am

Sand wrote:
I am fascinated by anyone who could psychoanalyze God. Professionals require years of couch time to do it to mortals and here we have someone who can clearly peer deeply into God's brain (assuming that's what he thinks with) through what can only be second hand information.

I assume you're referring to ToadOfSteel.

It's interesting how different the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are. Perhaps they are different Gods and Jesus as a Jew assumed his God was the Jewish God and not some other entity altogether.

I have no issue with a lot of the New Testament. The Old Testament is utterly revolting on a moral level and it's God is cruel, vengeful and violent. A psychopath in other words.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:17 am

Sand wrote:

I wasn't trying to psychoanalyze God. I was trying to provide for the marked contrast in the style and material found between the two testaments...

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 11:22 am

corroonb wrote:
I haven't read most of the New Testament as schools in Ireland don't tend to teach Revelations, thankfully. Revelations is insane, the writer of it must have been very odd. Do we know who wrote it?

Well, no, but I think most scholars think that the author was different than the standard Christians attribution of it was. I don't think there is absolute certainty on who wrote any part of the bible though.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 3:36 pm

I'm not that interested in what unbelievers have to say on this matter.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 3:39 pm

I believe such opinions are known as wind and confusion

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 3:42 pm

Fortunately this is not a Christian only forum.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:05 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Well, no, you only offer your virgin daughters if he seems to want to rape a guest of yours.

Gen 19:8 Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof."

Thanks for posting that. Now I remember why I refuse to keep a Bible in my house.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Well, no, you only offer your virgin daughters if he seems to want to rape a guest of yours.

Gen 19:8 Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof."

"Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. One day the older daughter said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our father." Genesis 19:30-32

Hmmm, which of those would have been considered worse?

Last edited by greenblue on 26 Aug 2008, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:40 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

Judges 19:22-30 wrote:
While they were enjoying themselves, some of the wicked men of the city surrounded the house. Pounding on the door, they shouted to the old man who owned the house, "Bring out the man who came to your house so we can have sex with him."

The owner of the house went outside and said to them, "No, my friends, don't be so vile. Since this man is my guest, don't do this disgraceful thing. Look, here is my virgin daughter, and his concubine. I will bring them out to you now, and you can use them and do to them whatever you wish. But to this man, don't do such a disgraceful thing."

But the men would not listen to him. So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight.

When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, "Get up; let's go." But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.

When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel. Everyone who saw it said, "Such a thing has never been seen or done, not since the day the Israelites came up out of Egypt. Think about it! Consider it! Tell us what to do!"

Curiously, a similar plot in another story in Judges 19 and 20

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:00 pm

Bible is a nice book. You don't need to see horror films - just read attentively... :eew: have nice nightmares!

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:10 pm

Chaotica wrote:
Bible is a nice book. You don't need to see horror films - just read attentively... :eew: have nice nightmares!

Yes, and it's free.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:14 pm

greenblue wrote:
Chaotica wrote:

Yes, and it's free.

I guess we need more free books teaching us to respect ourselves and other people.