Do you have a hard time staying connected with your friends?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2008, 4:50 am

I don't mean online, I actually am pretty good at that. :P

It's just REALLY hard for me to stay connected with my friends in real life. I have a hard time using the phone. I can use it, but it's hard for me to plan stuff with my friends. :P

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 5:06 am

i never ring anyone.

if my "friends" suddenly decided to never contact me again, i would notice only after about 2 months or so.

i would not contact them to see why they have not talked.
i would just let it go.

i do not really have friends.
i have people i like to talk with.

if they do not feel like talking to me, they do not ring.
if they do, they do ring.

i am always happy to talk to them. but i never feel i have a reason good enough to ring anyone else up.
i do not want to interrupt them.

i have only 2 friends that themselves have much better friends than me.
they only really come around or ring when their "chips are down".

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 7:33 am

i change countries every couple of years and i dont usually contact the people i have met, but sometime they send me an email and i do answer the questions they ask there and i know i should ask them some too, but honestly it doesnt interest me. so eventually they stop sending the emails.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 10:28 am

Yes. I don't like using the phone either, I can do, but usually keep it short. A long conversation is a bit of a torment, unless I'm in a chatty mood which is not that often. I plan stuff with friends by email. One friend who isn't online I have to talk to on the phone but put it off until she rings me usually. :oops:

I even find it hard to keep in touch with online friends sometimes, if I get 'lost' in what I'm doing. But I try to make up for it later by catching up with them via email.

TutuFairy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 12:07 pm

Yes. It's not really just because of me though. It's actually not really me at all. It's just that my friends are all friends with each other and they all smoke and stuff, and I don't, so it just really gets in the way of our friendship. They all go smoke together all the time and so it leaves me out. Yeah. That's the deal with most of them. Another friend = long story. Then, the only good friend I have, lives like, an hour away from me so I never get to see him because neither of us drive. Oh, yeah. And another friend of mine is actually one of my sister's best friends, so she doesn't really let me be friends with her. My social life is wack. haha

Haha We both started our posts with "Yes." :lol:

-Me and Schuyler

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 4:30 pm

Yes! :lol:

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 2:19 am

I live in a different city from any friends or family, it sucks not having any friends close by.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 6:19 am

I hate using the phone.

I have a weekly social date that's always at the same time and place, so I see the only friend I see regularly without having to talk about it on the phone, unless it's cancelled that week.

I guess most of my best social-life has always been that way. Scheduled and routine, it's every week or every other week or one day a month, same place, same time, same activity.

irikarah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2008, 6:58 pm

This has become a huge problem for me over the last several years. I went to clubs a lot as a teenager as an escape from problems at home and school, as it was comparatively comforting to be around other "weird" people. I was socially awkward and didn't dance, but wound up dj'ing for awhile because I found that I could really immerse myself in music. I even made some friends, most of whom were a bit older and had a sort of protective nature that I found comforting. When I hit my 20's and stopped being involved in all that, the phone calls slowed to a crawl and the few parties I went to left me feeling uncomfortable or bored. Everyone always seemed so slick and sociable, while I was usually the guy that wound up nursing a drink by himself, chain smoking, and occasionally, someone I knew would drift by for a couple words and a pat on the head. When the parties got more ostentatious, with people dressing in elaborate costumes or expected to bring things, I gave up and just stopped going.

Since then, the phone calls have slowed to one or two a month, I'm not invited to things, and the rare occasion someone comes over, I get the impression that they're bored and want to leave. I'd call or IM people more often, but don't really know what to say, and nobody really tries to reach me anymore, so I just figure that they lost interest.

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2008, 5:10 pm

Yes, often because they either don't treat me well or I'm just not connected to them. I'm either used, treated unequally, or have to act differently to get along. I've never felt very close to the majority of "friends" both past and present, so while I do get lonely sometimes, I still don't bother to keep in touch.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:55 am

I can't keep a true friend more than 3 years.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 9:26 pm

I don't mean online, I actually am pretty good at that. :P

It's just REALLY hard for me to stay connected with my friends in real life. I have a hard time using the phone. I can use it, but it's hard for me to plan stuff with my friends. :P

no i do not have a hard time staying connected in real life, to my friends.

b/c i ain't got no precious lil "friends".

and yes i got a hard time on the phone.

but online is just so much easier.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 11:48 am

When I had friends I found it hard yes. I ended up losing most of my friends, partly due to ASD and partly due to depression because I found it hard to motivate myself to see or talk to them.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 2:11 pm

It's hard for my friends and I to physically get together and do stuff. None of us drive and/or have cars and most of the people I know don't have a lot of money, making it hard for us to go places aside from each other's homes to watch movies or things like that.

Hoggy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2017, 3:08 pm

I'd definitely say i have a hard time staying connected with friends.

When i had a part time job we would go to the pub most weeks, go to the cinema the odd time and play snooker with a couple of friends. I work most days now including every Friday and Saturday night, so that rules out pub nights and when people have party's etc its nearly always on a weekend.
I find now i don't get invited to events that often now, i will just see the Facebook pictures after the event or the snapchat pictures during. I have brought up that i would rather be asked and say i cant go, with a slim chance i could go rather then not being asked at all but nothing changed.

I also just don't have the motivation to keep in touch, sometimes i wonder why i bother having a phone on contract with the use i get from it. It's not even hard to send a couple of texts saying how you doing we havnt talked in ages, fancy doing so and so but i cant even do that.

ChristianSmith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2017, 5:25 pm

My problem is that having friends is a two way street, I really only want friends when I need them. I have recently lost a whole group of friends as I have ditched the what's app group we were all in for the 5th time, I get fed up with myself, god knows what they feel about me. They no longer invite me out now

AQ:39
RAADS-R 172