New here and need some direction with education issues

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:21 pm

laplantain hit on what I was thinking when I read your first post: pragmatic speech. Your son has pragmatic speech issues, as in difficulty using language EFFECTIVELY. This is a qualifier for speech therapy. Your son should be enrolled with the speech therapist at school. Request this specifically. PRAGMATIC SPEECH. Speech therapy helped my son immensely. It seemed counter-intuitive to me, since he speaks clearly and has a large vocabulary, but speech is about EFFECTIVELY conveying information and ideas in a way that others are willing to listen to, and can absorb. As a practical matter, our children fail at communication. Pragmatics.

I am sorry to hear you are in a district that is not giving AS proper attention. Sure, under their theory kids can manage their way through school, but along the way they will lose their enthusiasm for school and for learning. It's a very short-sighted view. Given that districts have limited resources, I can understand it, but I disagree with it. Our children have so much to give back: invest in them, and they will return it two-fold. If there is any way at all, TRANSFER OUT of that district. Find a school that understands AS.

prometheuspann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2008, 1:29 am

Quote:
PRAGMATIC SPEECH.

:!: :bounce: :sunny:

what she said.
:salut: