Can someone explain to me what PMS is?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 10:59 am

I told my aunt today that why is my mom and my sister been acting all fussy, moody, and over-stressful lately and she told me that women go through a cycle every month called PMS or something like that. I've heard of it before, but that's something my mom or people at school never taught me, so can someone explain it to me?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 3:47 pm

sorry am not one for technical words,but it's to do with the whole blood coming out thing every month.
PMS is like an extreme version of what normally happens with the blood thing-that may be some stomach pain,head ache, tiredness etc.
not all women get PMS,but for those that do,their body chemicals go extra crazy during that time,it can affect mood a lot and the body itself.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 3:59 pm

Women ovulate (produce eggs) every month (28 days is the average). Prior to ovulation a woman's body produces hormones to get ready for a pregnancy. These hormones make her feel good. If no pregnancy occurs, she stops producing these hormones and goes through a form of withdrawal from them. This produces irritability, headaches (sometimes migraines), bloating (water retention), and other symptoms depending on the individual. Also, the body rids itself of the blood & tissue that was building up in the womb to nourish and protect the baby. Often, the body gets a little overzealous and painful cramping can occur.

A bit of advice: NEVER blame a woman's bad mood on her period or PMS (premenstrual syndrome). This will get you into big trouble. It's best if you avoid the subject altogether. It's too easy to say the wrong thing to a woman about this.

I wish sex ed classes would teach you about both genders instead of just your own. It just sets people up for misunderstandings. I know I understood men a lot better after I checked out some books on men's health from the library.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 4:04 pm

It means to don't bug your sisters or mom, I had it rough, 2 sister and I was the middle kid, I had to learn to duck.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 4:32 pm

Pre-Menstrual Stress. Not sure if syndrome would fit it.

It's just something that happens with women during and around their cycle, if you know they are on their cycle try not to take anything to heart. Some girls can control it, others can not.

-Just waiting for a woman to correct me now :lol: -

marieclaire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2008, 4:58 pm

I will oblige.

Premenstrual syndrome and related moods are not easily controlled. Quite often premenstrual syndrome occurs when hormones are slightly out of synch. due possibly to added stress in someones life, of perhaps poor diet.

Someone now can feel free to correct me.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 11:05 am

marieclaire wrote:
I will oblige.

Premenstrual syndrome and related moods are not easily controlled. Quite often premenstrual syndrome occurs when hormones are slightly out of synch. due possibly to added stress in someones life, of perhaps poor diet.

Someone now can feel free to correct me.

That is so true. I just know when there has been a significant change in my weight or added stress, even if I have been exercising more.. my PMS symptoms always get much worse when those kind of changes occur. And when my PMS is bad, looook out LOL

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 9:38 pm

PMS is the time of the month when a woman is right no matter how nuts she sounds.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 9:47 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:
PMS is the time of the month when a woman is right no matter how nuts she sounds.

And don't you forget that, young man! :wink:

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

dragonlady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2008, 6:21 pm

pms is a less severe form of pmdd which is characterized by mood swings and other emotional problems pmdd is actually severe enough to get in the way of everyday life they both occur before the monthly bleeding starts i'm not a doctor but i suggest you consult one if you suspect you have pms

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 8:26 pm

philosopherBoi wrote:

Hahaha, right you are! Not only that, it's the time where you don't argue, you don't fight back, you don't annoy her, and you make sure there is PLENTY of chocolate in the house. And it has to be the right variety and flavour too! And if she demands you drive her to the shop to BUY chocolate, you get those keys and in that car asap! ;)

Often PMS is related to a lack of magnesium, which when added or supplemented to the diet can stop the symptoms. Evening Primrose Oil is also very well documented for stopping PMS and reducing cramps and spotty skin - the essential fatty acids in it balance the body out remarkably. So make sure there is plenty on hand!

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2008, 2:42 pm

Period Mood Swings. Period!