Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 6:16 pm

Hello all!

When I was first diagnosed, rather than taking it as an excuse for everything I perceived to be wrong with me, I chose to see it as a stereotype, a boundary for myself to push. Obviously there's some things I'll never get past, but over the couple of years since my diagnosis, I've managed to do a lot of things I thought I'd never do.

Tonight, I made possibly my biggest breakthrough to date.

First of all - I booked a reservation at a restaurant, over the phone, under my own name. I've never done that by myself. I then met with some friends, and we ate there. This is all stuff that's totally new to me, I'm used to just going out with my parents. This was the most minor breakthrough.

The biggest moment was when everyone said they were going to just stay out on the town and hang out in some bars for a while. I had been planning - e.g. my routine dictated - to go home and just use the computer as I always did... but instead, I elected to stay out with my friends. And I hung around in a bar, just sitting, chatting with my friends :D

This is stuff I've never done, never had the confidence to do before, never thought I'd ever do. I was so worried about going to university because of my not liking going out, but this has shown that I can do it. I've not been this happy, and this happy with myself, in a long time. I've pushed my boundaries, and it's worked great. (I didn't drink any alcohol, but that's never going to happen).

I dunno why I'm posting it, I'm just slightly ecstatic about. Or I dunno, maybe as a kind of 'there is hope!' kind of post. But I had to tell someone, so here I am :D

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2008, 6:18 pm

Yay! That's great!

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 6:31 pm

Wow, that's really awesome! I can definately relate and know what a huge accomplishment this is. Thanks for sharing your experience. It does offer hope for those of us, like myself, who are still lagging behind. You have every reason to be ecstatic and very, very proud.

Way to go!

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2008, 7:04 pm

Good job buddy!

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2008, 7:19 pm

Good for you! :P It's just like I read in one of those self-help books: sometimes you have to actually test a theory to help yourself with something that you want to change within yourself, and experiment by doing it even if it's hard. Then you'll either know for sure it won't work, or you just might find that it helps. So congrats!

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2008, 7:31 pm

Nice:D It´s a great feeling when you actually see how you gradually change these things. I spent holidays with my friends recently and tried to make eye contact with them, and for some moments it didn´t feel akward but "natural" in some way :D

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 8:03 pm

Congratulations. This is very relatable for me.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 8:11 pm

That's great - two major hurdles at least, in one night. Woot!

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 8:19 pm

Good to hear of your progress! I have improved myself some as well.

For years, I would come home everyday and go straight to my computer and spend the rest of the night there by myself...and I liked it that way. Over the last year or so though, I have started to go out with different people, talk alot more (in person and on the phone), gain some new friends, and found some things that I actually like doing. It really is nice getting out of the house and doing something for a change. It also keeps you from obsessing over things so much when you are busy.

The bad thing about this is, now that I have found these new things, I have grown tired of some of my old friends, and family members ways as well.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 8:28 pm

There are probably a lot of "NORMAL" people that haven't done that at your age! I don't know if I made a reservation at a restaurant to this day. I probably didn't make any reservation really until I was older. I could have, though even today I am often nervous, but hopefully you get my point. Today, I have to make a whole bunch of reservations every week, but they are done almost 100% on line.

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 8:43 pm

Someone I know gave me some good news about himself the other day also. It was more than 24 hours later that I realized that I never said congratulations to him. I felt so bad that I forgot to say so even though I felt I should have said something but just didn’t know what. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU. This opportunity probably makes me as happy as you right now.

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2008, 9:09 pm

I remember in 1959, while stationed in Pirmasens, Germany, I made myself go out and visit a shop or restaurant in town once a week. I felt that was a pretty strong accomplishment. Then came the time when a couple of other fellows from the unit attached themselves to me and came with me. I not only survived, I managed to enjoy most of the evening. Now, THAT was a breakthrough for me.

Congratulations. Keepup the good work. Hard as it is, it is worth it.

Pops

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 9:14 pm

Oh, this is good.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 9:14 pm

That certainly is good news, JohnHopkins, and it's also a good encouragement for all of us. Thank you for sharing that, and keep up the great work.

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2008, 10:34 pm

Awesome. Sometimes it's hard to break the routine and go head-on against stereotypes, since they're so prevalent (I always get a kick out of this page, :D ). But it's rewarding in the end.

PS. is that you in your avatar? If it is I give you credit for posting your face to the net for thousands to see. I certainly wouldn't have done that at your age.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 10:43 pm

I went to a restaurant with my dad once. Then a year or so later he was staying with me, we were passing and decided to go in as we remembered it being good.

I walked straight in, nodding @ the staff guy at the door and headed for the same table from the previous year. I suppose i assumed we would sit in the same place as i must have visualized it as we entered. But what your supposed to do is wait near the entrance for instructions.

tbh i dont have much respect for arbitrary social etiquettes, so i rarely feel any sense of failure or embarassment for breaking them.