No not really. 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
I never really thought about it so I am not sure. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Yes it does. 74%  74%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 27

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 3:37 am

So I was reading madderakka's thread in the parenting section and I started to wonder to people with asperger's etc. handle stress worse than NTs. In my opinion I would say that we do but then again I am the only aspies I know in real life.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 3:48 am

Waiting does not stress me out unless it is something important that is running late. But just waiting...no...I can just go into my own head and pass the time thinking.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 3:57 am

it is more complicated than the poll, in my case. when i know how long i am about to wait then it is no problem at all. i just go into my inner world and wait there. but not knowing how long i can stay there stresses me out. i really dont like when people are late for a meeting. i consider that disrespectfull. and most people are being late.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 4:03 am

Waiting itself doesn't necessarily bother me. Certain conditions, however, can make it a lot more stressful:
-If I have nothing to do while I wait (I always try to have a book, a sketchbook and another project of sorts on me if possible.... or at least two of the three).
-If things are running late.
-If there are a lot of people around, or just a lot of unpleasant sensory information that an end to waiting would allow me to get away from.
-If when I will be able to stop waiting is unclear - especially if it keeps getting postponed and postponed!

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 8:34 am

Waiting itself does not usually stress me. The circumstances and environment can make it stressful though. Here are some things that can make waiting stressful for me:

- If there is a lot of people around.
- If somebody is paying a lot of attention to me while I'm waiting or if people keep passing by.
- If there is bad sensory input (very strong lights, excessive noise).
- Physical discomfort (I have some physical problems that make it hard for me to stand for long and can stress me out or even cause meltdowns).
- Uncertainty about what's going to happen or approximately how long I have to wait.

Usually when I'm waiting for something I just fantasize and go from the real world into my imaginary world and don't pay much attention to my environment or time while I'm at it. I also sometimes stim without noticing it while my mind is somewhere else. If the circumstances don't allow me to be myself or to let my mind leave the room then the wait is harder for me.

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2008, 8:41 am

Queuing - can't do it. Can't spell it either.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 9:31 am

Yes, I worry all the time. So, not knowing and not having that closure just makes it worse.

Gainer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2008, 10:38 am

Waiting for x minutes for something and knowing it will be there then, nah
Waiting and waiting, people not doing their job, waiting, no indication of waht is happening, Yes

When i was in hospital I was very curious about what was happening and it stressed me out that no-one would tell me anything. I wanted to know yet the doctor refused to tell me. That stressed me and more importantly I gotr angry, frustrated and depressed.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 4:47 pm

I don't know if "stresses me out" is the right term but I do get very uncomfortable and often feel very impatient regardless of whether I outwardly show it. I get uncomfortably bored, agitated, itchy. When I'm waiting in a busy area I'm not close enough to my comfort zone to be able to just lose myself in thought. I'm too distracted by the commotion around me to relax.

I also have back pain that makes standing in line hard. The pain is always worse when it get's crowded too. Mental tension definitely plays a big role in the level of physical discomfort I experience while standing.