Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2005, 1:22 am

I love how you quote Kerry there knowing how much he said Iraq had weapons of mass distruction (dont believe me look it up.) I forget when he appolgised to America :-/. How many times has the United States actually went to war (5 notable exceptions would be the Civil War and the Korean War) do you dare say that the exceptions were illegal wars, do you think we shouldnt have started the first Gulf War after Iraq invaded Kuwait? If Bush wanted to go into Darfur tomarrow would you call that an illegal war, despite all the human rights violations there because the UN Security Council doesnt go far it (as it isnt in some of the countries best interest)? Then why bring up the lack of war declared and the UN not going for it.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2005, 2:49 am

Endersdragon, I appreciate your zeal.
No, I don't think that we should have sold slant drilling technology to Kuwait.
I think Kuwait should have sold the oil at a fair market value to allow Saddam to continue to pay back his war debt from the war with Iran at a reasonable rate.
I think that our UN representative should have answered correctly the first time she was asked about whether or not the US would involve itself in a conflict between a war between Iraq and Kuwait, a war that I was stationed in the Persian Gulf for.
So no, I do not think that the US should have helped create the situations that we fought Iraq to resolve the first time.

I will have to look into the Darfur issue more before I can give a proper answer.
As to my feelings about US military involvement to prevent human rights abuses, I wrote my undergraduate political science thesis on the need for US Involvement in former Yugoslavia to halt further atrocities by Slobodan Milosevic. I wrote a letter to the Clinton White House asking for US involvement in the region a month before we actually became fully militarily involved. I debated a retired three star general on a talk radio show in Los Angeles arguing for US involvement in the region and won whilst he called me an idiot. So, you want a legitimate military engagement to prevent wide spread human rights abuses, I'm all for it. You want another Vietnam based on lies and manufactured evidence, I have to say NO.

I am not saying that Kerry never said that Iraq did not have weapons of mass destruction.
If he did say that, it was due in a large part because of the fabricated intelligence from the Bush White House. I think "The war in Iraq was and remains one of the great acts of misleading and deception in American history" by Senator John Kerry is a pretty good declaration of, hey I was wrong, I blew it, and I'm sorry.

Yet, you never addressed any of the calls I made as to the character of George W's statements.
So, I stand by what I said. America and the world are getting tired of George W's continuous lies coupled with his inability to say: I was wrong, or I am sorry.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 11:17 am

eyeenteepee wrote:
Probably not. Whether Bush is intellectually feeble or not, he has a huge team of advisors etc who are making the real decisions. That doesn't change no matter who is sitting in the big chair.

Haha! Not sure I agree as you had Donald Trump, but with your other presidents it sometimes feels like that by what I have seen from the UK. (I do not know which party is which out there and who stood for what as I just looked at presidents as people and not the parties that supported them).
Like him or disslike him (I am neutral), I did see that he very much was not one governed by his advisors like the other presidents seemed to be.

The problem is one really needs an independent deep thinker to push your country forwards but when you get one you do not like it because they may push you in directions you do not want to go, so you much prefer voting in "Don't rock the boat" presidents which tends to be similar to politics here in the UK as well.
(I am looking at leaders rather than the parties they stand for or their party political views in my observations).
The dont rock the boat types tend to get more support for doing nothing and the leaders who push for change are the ones that end up being hated... But why? If one had no change in any direction everything stagnates.

I am not saying that there are not times when a country needs years of rest after a big event where the people are not ready for change and need to just settle down, so there are certainly times when the "Don't rock the boat" type leaders are needed, but I don't know...

I have sometimes thought "What would life be like if we did not have governments and we all just lived the way we want to? The only problem is that there are some horrible people that take advantage of that and many things we just would not have such as roads and railways as it takes great collective organization to build such things, so I don't know. The past population were trying to organize things for what they saw was the "Benefit for all". Today we seem to be thinking along the lines of "Power crazy governments" because some have taken governing too far...

I don't know what the answer is?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2022, 5:37 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
eyeenteepee wrote:
Probably not. Whether Bush is intellectually feeble or not, he has a huge team of advisors etc who are making the real decisions. That doesn't change no matter who is sitting in the big chair.

Haha! Not sure I agree as you had Donald Trump, but with your other presidents it sometimes feels like that by what I have seen from the UK.

This post is nearly seventeen years old. Please refrain from "bumping" old topics.