Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ryan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Nov 2005, 3:17 am

I think hes done a terrible job in office. The economy has taken a nose dive and the gas prices are so high mainly because of that pointless war. Hes the worst public speaker ever and doesn't meet the intellectual standards for a US President. What does everyone else think of him? Agree or disagree with my thoughts?

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2005, 4:12 am

You have to ask yourself, would any other president have done anything differently in the same circumstances?

Probably not. Whether Bush is intellectually feeble or not, he has a huge team of advisors etc who are making the real decisions. That doesn't change no matter who is sitting in the big chair.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 5:03 am

Bush is a puppet for big business interests and the religious right. The people in the shadows telling him what to say are far more frightening. Still, the way things are going, they won't get their way much longer... I hope, for all our sakes, not just Americans. Blair is rapidly losing influence here.... roll on the demise of Bush's cronies. :evil:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2005, 5:10 am

Didn't Douglas Adams make some incisive comments about presidents detracting attention from those who are actually in power? In that sense, George W is perfect for the job...

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2005, 7:31 am

Um yes eyeenteepee many presidents would not have invaded Iraq under false pretenses.
Many presidents would not have led a full out assault on Afghanistan.
Many presidents would have hired competent staff instead of a bunch of unqualified cronies.
Many presidents would have ensured a better response to national disasters, fair and equitable oil prices, a balanced budget ...
Goodby war debt, goodby unethical behaviour
Hello balanced budgets, and competency in the White House

If the Supreme Court had chosen Al Gore as the president the environment would be in a better place, and we would be a lot closer to having developed alternative fuel sources. We would also not have to pay record fuel prices while the oil companies make record profits.

If George W. had not stolen Ohio last year, he would not have been able to record the highest debt of any president ever.

History will record George W. as one of the worst presdients ever.
He is already the worst president in recorded history.
He has very little chance of seeing his popularity polls rise as moderate Republicans begin to distance themselves from him in preperation for next years election.
It's time that we unelected George W.

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2005, 8:10 am

irishmic wrote:
Um yes eyeenteepee many presidents would not have invaded Iraq under false pretenses.
Many presidents would have hired competent staff instead of a bunch of unqualified cronies.
Many presidents would have ensured a better response to national disasters, fair and equitable oil prices, a balanced budget ...

You make it sound like he made all these decisions on his own? I think not. You can blame him, his advisors and the GoP. To a certain extent, you can blame good 'ol Bill Clinton for leaving the country in such a state, the only place it could go was downhill.
As for unethical behaviour, I've long since given up on expecting politicians to have any kind of standards. Just being realistic.
Cronies? That's good management, you want the people close to you who you can trust, people you've worked with before. Nothing wrong with that, you'll see that everywhere if you look close enough.
irishmic wrote:
If the Supreme Court had chosen Al Gore as the president the environment would be in a better place, and we would be a lot closer to having developed alternative fuel sources. We would also not have to pay record fuel prices while the oil companies make record profits.

It's all very well to speak of "ifs" and "buts", but Bill Clinton had 8 years to work on a lot of thse issues, why does nobody ever blame him for not solving all of America's (indeed, the world's) problems? I don't recall Senator Kerry offering particularly ground breaking environmental policies either, pretty much more of the same wrapped up in different packaging.
irishmic wrote:

Will it? Time will tell, it's too early to be sure. I was convinced that things could only get better (subtle reference there) when Labour won in 1997 here in the UK. I was so sick with the damn Tories and was certain it was their fault for the country being in such a mess. Lo and behold, 8 years of Labour government and things are actually gettting worse! Maybe you'd like to blame Bush for that too?

Fact is, when oil supplies start to decline over the next couple of decades, you may be glad that Bush decided to invade Iraq and help secure a regular supply from that region. Or at least that was the plan, it isn't working quite yet..

The economic difficulties experienced by the US are not entirely of the making of Bush's tax policy, if you look carefully you'll see most developed countries are having a rough time at the minute.
irishmic wrote:
He has very little chance of seeing his popularity polls rise as moderate Republicans begin to distance themselves from him in preperation for next years election.
It's time that we unelected George W.

Given that the majority of Americans have somewhat dubious views on many things, being unpopular is possibly not such a bad thing?

For the record, I'm no fan of Bush, I think the reaction to the New Orleans disaster was dreadful, and the buck must stop at the top, but otherwise he really isn't much different to those that have gone before or who will follow. He's just an easy target because he's crap at public speaking.

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2005, 8:56 am

eyeenteepee wrote:
Fact is, when oil supplies start to decline over the next couple of decades, you may be glad that Bush decided to invade Iraq and help secure a regular supply from that region. Or at least that was the plan, it isn't working quite yet..

This is the kind of wrong headed statement that landed George W. a 37% approval rating.
The fact is that we were already getting oil from Iraq, and that most of Europe was as well.
We didn't need to invade Iraq to secure oil trade.
We didn't need to invade Iraq to provide security in the region or for American safety.
Fact is the region is far more insecure now that we are there, it's also costing a whole lot more.

eyeenteepee wrote:
You can blame him, his advisors and the GoP. To a certain extent, you can blame good 'ol Bill Clinton for leaving the country in such a state, the only place it could go was downhill.
Well, the blame stops at the top. So, if it happened under George W.'s watch, he gets blamed. George W. turned a budget surplus under Clinton into the largest budget deficit of any president. George W. increased the size of government, then hired unqualified people to run the main offices. Unemployment rates are higher under George W. then they were under Bill Clinton. In some part you can blame this on GATT. You never saw Clinton's approval ratings tank like George W.'s have. Bill Clinton endured a fierce smear campaign and the only thing that he was accused of was lying to Congress about an affair he had with an itern. How would George W. fair under the same criticism. Oh yea, I forgot George W. is the ethical president.

Poll: Most Americans Doubt Bush's Honesty
YahooNews wrote:
Bush, promised in the 2000 campaign to uphold "honor and integrity" in the White House

With that in mind, let's see how he is doing in the eyes of the American politic.
YahooNews wrote:
Almost six in 10 — 57 percent — said they do not think the Bush administration has high ethical standards and the same portion says President Bush is not honest.

At least he can count on his delusional base for support.
YahooNews wrote:
Just over four in 10 say the administration has high ethical standards and that Bush is honest. Whites, Southerners and evangelicals were most likely to believe Bush is honest.

You may be right about one thing, according to the standards that Douglas Adam's established in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, George W. may very well be doing a good job.

Quote:
you want the people close to you who you can trust, people you've worked with before.
I dont argue that he trusts people like Dick Cheney, Scooty Libby, etc. I argue why he trusts them. Bill Clinton was smart enough to want intelligent, well qualified, well respected people in his cabinet. People that when they left the cabinet returned to academic posts. George W. seems incapable of appointing either well qualified, or well respected people.

Quote:
Maybe you'd like to blame Bush for that too?

As a matter of fact, Tony Blair made a major mistake when he decided to play ball with George W. and the ball keeps rolling down hill.

Quote:
if you look carefully you'll see most developed countries are having a rough time at the minute.
Yep, it's called the re-rise of China and India as global powers. As more and more industry switches to these regions, we expect their power to grow, and power to decline elsewhere. However, the corporate execs relocating there are still from the US and Europe, so you can expect to see a widening disparity between the rich and the poor. The rich will have to manage this carefully to ensure the protection of their status away from the hungry mobs.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 11:04 am

After watching a State of the Union, I stopped thinking he might have a single bit of intelligence. I don't think he answered a single question he was asked. Some of his decisons were decent, but we need to get troops out of Iraq. From what I know about what's going on (not much), most of the attacks are on us by Iraqis trying to get us to leave. It's not our country.

Last edited by Sarcastic_Name on 11 Nov 2005, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddjh
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2005, 12:10 pm

irishmic wrote:

I have to disagree with this one. After 9/11, I believe any president (even Gore) would've attacked Afghanistan. Public support for that operation was close to 100%, and it was a clear and direct response to a very real attack on the nation.

It was a good decision, unlike Iraq, which has been a nightmare from the start.

Quote:

We wouldn't have had balanced budgets; we would've just had a lower deficit and higher taxes. That's an improvement over Bush, but not a huge one. We need to lower spending, and neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have any interest in that. Republicans used to, and a few throwbacks like McCain still do, but by and large the party has been hijacked by "borrow and spend" economic liberals.

Quote:

The environment is fine, and alternative fuel sources are not economically viable at this time. When the price of oil starts to rise (apart from short-term fluctuations like we've been seeing), then we'll see some real momentum in alternative energy research.

Quote:

No argument there.

Jeremy

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 2:06 pm

irishmic wrote:

[/quote]
Whoa, hold on!! ! The war in Afghanistan had the Unanimous support of both houses of congress except for one- Nancy Pelosi. :evil:

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2005, 2:41 pm

Good Lord! For once I agree with Sean 100%. Wow!
:lol:

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 3:41 pm

irishmic wrote:

In recorded history? The prehistoric presidents remain a mystery to this day.

mattbits
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2005, 4:26 pm

GEORGE BUSH IS THE BEST PRESIDENT SINCE ABRAHAM LINCION GO BUSCH WELL DONE IN OFFICE

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 7:19 pm

SOMEONE HAS BEEN BRAINWASHED AND BELEIVES EVERYTHING THEYRE TOLD OUTRAGE OUTRAGE OUTRAGE CAPS LOCK MAD DISAGREEMENT TIME

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2005, 8:41 pm

I think mattbits has spent too much time on the white, conservative, fundamentalist christian, aspie, chat board.

Well now that we're all agreed that America's little colonial adventure in Afghanistan had bicameral support, let's talk Central Asian Oil Control and the Central Asian Pipeline being built by Enron.

Oh, by the way, where in the world is Osama Ben Laden?

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2005, 11:16 pm

toddjh wrote:
The environment is fine, and alternative fuel sources are not economically viable at this time. When the price of oil starts to rise (apart from short-term fluctuations like we've been seeing), then we'll see some real momentum in alternative energy research.

"America's military budget is almost $400 billion dollars. Less than ten percent of that would be more than enough to perfect existing alternative fuel sources and leave oil, with the greed, torture, and murder it brings, in our past. The money spent on this unprovoked invasion alone would have been enough to make significant strides in the technologies."

--The Boy Who Cried Iraq

The environment may be "fine" at the moment, but it's not going to sustain the current level of exploitation for long. The government should have and could have begun fixing the situation a long time ago.