The 1992 "Girls Guide to Geek (read: aspie!) Guys

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

LILI
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2008, 8:45 pm

I think that you guys are exaggerating when saying that the only thing a geeky guy can offer women is a 6-figure salary...unless the geeky guy is simply looking for a 'trophy wife' or a typical superficial girl, it should not come into account.

most educated women these days make enough money on their own and only need a guy who can support himself as well and won't just sit on the couch all day long drinking pop and eating crisps. that is a bit of a turn off.

a normal (non-superficial girl) is rather looking for a true friend...who she happens to be attracted to as well. many things make geeky guys attractive such as their brains, ability to discuss certain issues that some averages joes won't comprehend, uniqueness, etc.

LILI
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2008, 8:48 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
LILI wrote:
Not all women like superficial things in men. In the end, most women I know just want somebody who loves them, treats them with respect, and challenges them intellectually.

On one hand, none of the women I see on a daily basis at college match this description but on the other hand, they are just out of high school after all. :?

if they are just out of high school, they should just be studying and partying....relationships (meaningful ones) should only come later, in my humble opinion.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 9:01 pm

LILI wrote:
Social_Fantom wrote:
LILI wrote:
Not all women like superficial things in men. In the end, most women I know just want somebody who loves them, treats them with respect, and challenges them intellectually.

On one hand, none of the women I see on a daily basis at college match this description but on the other hand, they are just out of high school after all. :?

if they are just out of high school, they should just be studying and partying....relationships (meaningful ones) should only come later, in my humble opinion.

Hmmm, good point.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 4:40 pm

LILI wrote:

Okay, the studying I get (hell, I chose to go to a college with a 4:1 male:female ratio because of the education, not the women...)

But do tell my why you think there shouldn't be meaningful relationships in college? I never had interest in partying (as the NT layperson would define it) or superficial relationships. Socially, I'm already at the point that I'm looking for someone to spend the rest of my life with. Commitment is far more important to me than fun. If there is fun to be had, then I'm all for it, but the commitment should take precedence...

LILI
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2008, 8:45 pm

I am not saying that meaningful relationships should not occur in college, its just that a girl straight out of high school may need to live a bit in order to know herself, experience life and define what she needs (same applies to guys). some acquire that maturity quite fast and may be ready for a meaningful relationship faster. I just find that 18 or 19 is a bit young.

when i say partying, its true that its an easy way to qualify 'experiencing things'. it could also be by traveling, getting involved in special projects, sports, etc.....

i am not the type to get drunk at uni parties or clubs either. alcohol gives me nasty side effects, and i don't like crowds of drunk people acting stupid and groping me on a dance floor....

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 9:29 pm

LILI wrote:
I am not saying that meaningful relationships should not occur in college, its just that a girl straight out of high school may need to live a bit in order to know herself, experience life and define what she needs (same applies to guys). some acquire that maturity quite fast and may be ready for a meaningful relationship faster. I just find that 18 or 19 is a bit young.

when i say partying, its true that its an easy way to qualify 'experiencing things'. it could also be by traveling, getting involved in special projects, sports, etc.....

i am not the type to get drunk at uni parties or clubs either. alcohol gives me nasty side effects, and i don't like crowds of drunk people acting stupid and groping me on a dance floor....

Okay, that makes more sense. I am not one to go for shallow relationships or FWB-type things, and I interpreted your statement as one that I should remain single until I graduated.. While there is merit in focusing on studies while in college, the fact that I haven't had anything meaningful since the start of college is starting to weigh heavily on me, possibly having more of an effect than merely being in a relationship would produce...

LILI
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2008, 9:42 pm

i understand. i have been single for something like a decade :cry:

however, you should not impose that pressure on yourself at this time in your life. get good grades, travel the world on scholarships, kick ass at your first job interviews, and land the job of your dreams. maybe you'll even get the 6-figure salary the other guys were previously talking about in this thread. :wink:

in any case, if you are a good guy, a girl will fall for you at one point for sure...geek or not!

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 10:19 pm

LILI wrote:
i understand. i have been single for something like a decade :cry:

however, you should not impose that pressure on yourself at this time in your life. get good grades, travel the world on scholarships, kick ass at your first job interviews, and land the job of your dreams. maybe you'll even get the 6-figure salary the other guys were previously talking about in this thread. :wink:

in any case, if you are a good guy, a girl will fall for you at one point for sure...geek or not!

I don't feel like it's a pressure I'm imposing on myself. If anything the conscious effort is constantly applied towards NOT worrying about relationships. I've always been 10 years ahead in what I worry about. When I was 11, I was constantly looking at several colleges and thinking about which one I would go to, When I was 16, I lamented the fact that I still lived in my parents' house. At 18 I was worried about the salary I would be making. So it just goes to show I would be worried about settling down now. Sometimes I feel like I'm 10 years older than I actually am...

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:42 am

Geeks are the best. I love geeks. :D

LILI
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2008, 9:47 pm

geeks are indeed the best.

i am supposed to meet one for coffee or a drink next week. he is a friend of a friend and he invited me via facebook. i wonder if it is a date or if he just wants to catch up. we'll see....but i am a bit stressed, i never go on dates...or one on one drinks

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 10:30 am

Good luck!

Dates with geeks are like finding a precious stone in the middle of a field on a walk during dusk!

Tell us how it goes!

LILI
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2008, 5:53 pm

I will!

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2008, 6:23 am

Hmm I think it can be more likely you will find a woman that you want to be wit hthe rest of your life in college, because after that you have to go into work and its a big no no to go out with one of your work collegues so where else can you find them after you leave colege?

And good luck with your "date", just remember I'm sure the other person is just as nervous as you are to get the right impression to come off. :D

LILI
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2008, 10:40 pm

It's been more than a week since he asked me out for a café or drink and asked me when I would be free. I answered, but he has not set-up a day yet...no emails....nada...
I quit dating! :twisted: