The 1992 "Girls Guide to Geek (read: aspie!) Guys

Page 5 of 6 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 455
Location: Detroit, Michigan

29 Aug 2008, 11:24 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
^^ Oh please, don't spoil our newly discovered love potion with your justifications.....maybe you didn't pick him for money in the first place but you obviously love him more now because he's making 6 figures. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong about that ...this is the right track for evolution!


Well that explains why my genetic line is doomed to extinction then.

(yes, in a crappy mood, just got back from an office party full of disappointment again.)


_________________
Quantum Mechanics -- the dreams stuff is made of


Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 176

30 Aug 2008, 6:10 am

Well the field I'm going into I will never get a 6 figure salary, probably only get enough to "live" which is fine but i will never get any woman. But do i really want woman f they are all gold diggers?



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,716
Location: New Jersey

30 Aug 2008, 10:06 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
On first page I posted:
LePetitPrince wrote:
Quote:
5. They're smart.

Only if they make good money from their 'smartness'.




and few pages later someone approves my theory.

breakfastsurreal wrote:
reasons why i chose my geeky husband:

5. They're smart. I LOVE this about him. And I love it even more because he brings home 6 figures. I don't have to work, which decreases my stress level a LOT.



You now know why they call me the wise prince?


Have you ever heard of hindsight bias?



breakfastsurreal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 34

30 Aug 2008, 10:49 am

:roll:



LILI
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 130

01 Sep 2008, 8:45 pm

I think that you guys are exaggerating when saying that the only thing a geeky guy can offer women is a 6-figure salary...unless the geeky guy is simply looking for a 'trophy wife' or a typical superficial girl, it should not come into account.

most educated women these days make enough money on their own and only need a guy who can support himself as well and won't just sit on the couch all day long drinking pop and eating crisps. that is a bit of a turn off.

a normal (non-superficial girl) is rather looking for a true friend...who she happens to be attracted to as well. many things make geeky guys attractive such as their brains, ability to discuss certain issues that some averages joes won't comprehend, uniqueness, etc.



LILI
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 130

01 Sep 2008, 8:48 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
LILI wrote:
Not all women like superficial things in men. In the end, most women I know just want somebody who loves them, treats them with respect, and challenges them intellectually.


On one hand, none of the women I see on a daily basis at college match this description but on the other hand, they are just out of high school after all. :?


if they are just out of high school, they should just be studying and partying....relationships (meaningful ones) should only come later, in my humble opinion.



Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,563
Location: Trapped outside of the space time continuum

01 Sep 2008, 9:01 pm

LILI wrote:
Social_Fantom wrote:
LILI wrote:
Not all women like superficial things in men. In the end, most women I know just want somebody who loves them, treats them with respect, and challenges them intellectually.


On one hand, none of the women I see on a daily basis at college match this description but on the other hand, they are just out of high school after all. :?


if they are just out of high school, they should just be studying and partying....relationships (meaningful ones) should only come later, in my humble opinion.


Hmmm, good point.


_________________
So simple, it's complicated


ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,716
Location: New Jersey

02 Sep 2008, 4:40 pm

LILI wrote:
if they are just out of high school, they should just be studying and partying....relationships (meaningful ones) should only come later, in my humble opinion.


Okay, the studying I get (hell, I chose to go to a college with a 4:1 male:female ratio because of the education, not the women...)

But do tell my why you think there shouldn't be meaningful relationships in college? I never had interest in partying (as the NT layperson would define it) or superficial relationships. Socially, I'm already at the point that I'm looking for someone to spend the rest of my life with. Commitment is far more important to me than fun. If there is fun to be had, then I'm all for it, but the commitment should take precedence...



LILI
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 130

02 Sep 2008, 8:45 pm

I am not saying that meaningful relationships should not occur in college, its just that a girl straight out of high school may need to live a bit in order to know herself, experience life and define what she needs (same applies to guys). some acquire that maturity quite fast and may be ready for a meaningful relationship faster. I just find that 18 or 19 is a bit young.

when i say partying, its true that its an easy way to qualify 'experiencing things'. it could also be by traveling, getting involved in special projects, sports, etc.....

i am not the type to get drunk at uni parties or clubs either. alcohol gives me nasty side effects, and i don't like crowds of drunk people acting stupid and groping me on a dance floor....



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,716
Location: New Jersey

02 Sep 2008, 9:29 pm

LILI wrote:
I am not saying that meaningful relationships should not occur in college, its just that a girl straight out of high school may need to live a bit in order to know herself, experience life and define what she needs (same applies to guys). some acquire that maturity quite fast and may be ready for a meaningful relationship faster. I just find that 18 or 19 is a bit young.

when i say partying, its true that its an easy way to qualify 'experiencing things'. it could also be by traveling, getting involved in special projects, sports, etc.....

i am not the type to get drunk at uni parties or clubs either. alcohol gives me nasty side effects, and i don't like crowds of drunk people acting stupid and groping me on a dance floor....


Okay, that makes more sense. I am not one to go for shallow relationships or FWB-type things, and I interpreted your statement as one that I should remain single until I graduated.. While there is merit in focusing on studies while in college, the fact that I haven't had anything meaningful since the start of college is starting to weigh heavily on me, possibly having more of an effect than merely being in a relationship would produce...



LILI
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 130

02 Sep 2008, 9:42 pm

i understand. i have been single for something like a decade :cry:

however, you should not impose that pressure on yourself at this time in your life. get good grades, travel the world on scholarships, kick ass at your first job interviews, and land the job of your dreams. maybe you'll even get the 6-figure salary the other guys were previously talking about in this thread. :wink:

in any case, if you are a good guy, a girl will fall for you at one point for sure...geek or not!



ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,716
Location: New Jersey

02 Sep 2008, 10:19 pm

LILI wrote:
i understand. i have been single for something like a decade :cry:

however, you should not impose that pressure on yourself at this time in your life. get good grades, travel the world on scholarships, kick ass at your first job interviews, and land the job of your dreams. maybe you'll even get the 6-figure salary the other guys were previously talking about in this thread. :wink:

in any case, if you are a good guy, a girl will fall for you at one point for sure...geek or not!


I don't feel like it's a pressure I'm imposing on myself. If anything the conscious effort is constantly applied towards NOT worrying about relationships. I've always been 10 years ahead in what I worry about. When I was 11, I was constantly looking at several colleges and thinking about which one I would go to, When I was 16, I lamented the fact that I still lived in my parents' house. At 18 I was worried about the salary I would be making. So it just goes to show I would be worried about settling down now. Sometimes I feel like I'm 10 years older than I actually am...



Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2008
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 666

03 Sep 2008, 10:42 am

Geeks are the best. I love geeks. :D



LILI
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 130

04 Sep 2008, 9:47 pm

geeks are indeed the best.

i am supposed to meet one for coffee or a drink next week. he is a friend of a friend and he invited me via facebook. i wonder if it is a date or if he just wants to catch up. we'll see....but i am a bit stressed, i never go on dates...or one on one drinks



Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2008
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 666

05 Sep 2008, 10:30 am

Good luck!

Dates with geeks are like finding a precious stone in the middle of a field on a walk during dusk!

Tell us how it goes!