Page 6 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

chessplayer
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Feb 2008, 12:00 pm

One reason why I enjoy playing the game of Chess is because of the variety of moves you can make. There are so many openings and defenses out there. I admit, though, I don't like gambits. I have never gotten used to being down a pawn early. :o

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2008, 8:13 am

LOL

I play :P

yea

I used to be class champion back in primary school Go team aspie haha won some prizes... in Australia :D

PLayed in highschool(in New ZEALAND) but it wasnt cool it was basicly full of ethnic minorites and the teacher demanded we trained so many times a week in our lunch times which wasnt cool for me i wanted to be outside playing sport eh

BUT im keen to yea... touch up on my chess skills

PRETTY RUSTY... so whats the list of sites? saw a few on this thread.... WHICH one are we all joining?

anyone keen for a challenge?
im 20 yo male lol.. havent played in a while ;)

can we put money on it haha nah jokes...

PS would be cool if there were a aspie chess tournament :D

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2008, 2:29 pm

I am a decent chess player. I am in my school's chess club, but we met once in the first 3-months, and then our advisor left and we still don't have a new one.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2008, 6:23 am

Message me for a game...

:D

but i warn you i might win LOL

KindofBlue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2008, 6:40 am

After two months of practice, I can now beat the cell-phone program on easy level. Normal level is tough because the AI doesn't waste time mindlessly moving pieces back and forth. Yesterday on easy level, I was down three pieces, a rook, bishop and knight, and still mated him. I think I shall acquire the book unbeatable Chess for Juniors from the library. It's supposed to be for 6-14 year olds, but that is the level i am playing on, lol.

Dyspergian

20 Feb 2008, 7:00 am

You might like to Google Robert Snyder, the author of the book you mentioned, before investing in any of his books.

Alternatively you can learn for free at my website.

ghostpawn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2008, 3:49 pm

I've played chess once or twice, but I was never much into memorizing openings

that's why I prefer fogchess

WilsonFisk

23 Feb 2008, 7:24 pm

Amateurs should focus on the endgame and middle game skills and basic opening development. Forgot about memorising topical/tricky opening variations.
I have about 170 ECF which is decent. I play various opening but most of the time the following:

against 1.e4 - I play the sicilian o'kelly variation
against 1.d4 - Queens Gambit Semi Slav Noteboom Variation
Against 1.c4 - 1..e5 and going into a sort of reversed grand prix attack, although sometimes I'll transpose into the Noteboom via 1..e6 move order.

I'm a 1.Nf3 player. Don't be fooled though, i'm quite aggressive and Nf3 is mainly focused on limiting my opponents opening choices and allowing me to get into variations I'm more ecomfortable in. In the Middle game I'll gambit pawns and hopefullly send my opponents king on the run.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 8:35 pm

Used to play for fun.