Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

soljaboi51
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2008, 5:13 pm

well it is 18 to drive in new york. and the east coast (cities like new york, boston, philadelphia) is far more stritct, they have much stricter probationary phases, but they all still end at 17 or 18. the west is way more relaxed, most likely due to the frontier spirit of its settelers (my ancestors were settled the west, which is why i live in seattle)

and why wouldnt your parents let you get your learner's at 16? my dad was all in to me learning to drive as he didnt want to drive me places. both my parents got their licenses right when they turned 16(no provisional period in those days) and i got my learner's at 15 and 9 months. so i had to wait six months in the learner phase(meaning i could get my license at 16 and 3 months). i failed my test first time, retook it 2 weeks later and passed with flying colors

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 5:32 pm

soljaboi51 wrote:
well it is 18 to drive in new york. and the east coast (cities like new york, boston, philadelphia) is far more stritct, they have much stricter probationary phases, but they all still end at 17 or 18. the west is way more relaxed, most likely due to the frontier spirit of its settelers (my ancestors were settled the west, which is why i live in seattle)

and why wouldnt your parents let you get your learner's at 16? my dad was all in to me learning to drive as he didnt want to drive me places. both my parents got their licenses right when they turned 16(no provisional period in those days) and i got my learner's at 15 and 9 months. so i had to wait six months in the learner phase(meaning i could get my license at 16 and 3 months). i failed my test first time, retook it 2 weeks later and passed with flying colors

She wouldn't let me because she said I wouldn't be able to drive and I would "be a danger to myself and others". Right up until I got my learners last year at 27 mum and step-dad constantlly said I wouldn't be able to do it and strongly discouraged me. John said he wouldnt teach me until I got some lessons. He now says he is glad I prooved him wrong but that waiting was a good thing. Driving isn't messasary here I was able to get around and still do most of the time due to not having a car on the train, bus, tram, taxi or walking. Mum herself was 25 when she got her Probationary licence (P plates) but in those days it only went for a year. My siblings were 20, 22 and 23. My step brother Joe is 22 and still has 20 months to go on his Ps. I will finish mine on August 29th 2011 at 31 and a half.

soljaboi51
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2008, 9:25 pm

Have the ages for licenses always been the same in Australia, or have they changed over the years?