Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 8:06 am

My friend Meg went and bought Microsoft Word for here Vista laptop, what are some free alternatives that I could suggest she could turn to for her word processing needs???? Please keep in mind she does not know a lot about computer as is evident from her buying vista.

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2008, 8:16 am

OpenOffice.org

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 8:23 am

OpenOffice.org and Notepad++ (as an alternative for the default Notepad in Windows)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 8:57 am

^ What they said, Open Office. Also, she would do well to switch her internet browser to either Firefox or Opera, and use IE only to open trusted sites that require IE. --The only reason I use IE is to access streamed media that I can't access through Opera or Firefox.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 9:44 am

Thanks everyone, oh and Fogman thanks for reminding me I need to have the good browser bad browser talk with her.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 10:02 am

It's funny seeing people using multiple windows with IE7 as they don't know about the tab function in it. I almost die laughing. Like the others on here, I only use it if there is a problem, but I don't use IE7, I use IE6 instead.

Having Vista on the computer is just an attempt by Microsoft to force software and hardware companies forward and drive out XP.

OpenOffice is much better and it's open source so no need to worry about pirating.