I enjoy watching the games rather than playing them

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:43 am

Its kind of strange, but I prefer to watch someone else (mainly my brother) play the games, and just watching, rather than playing them myself.

The fact of the matter is, I suck at gaming. I'd love to be good at it, but I am the most sucky gamer who ever did suck. I hate playing them because I makes me feel bad when I constantly stuff up. But when I'm watching, I am able to take in the story line and everything, without having to stress about keeping my mind on playing.

Taking MGS2 for an example. My brother decided to play that again, and out of interest I watched him. And I enjoyed it far more than I could have done if I was playing myself. I enjoyed the storyline, what the different characters did and everything, something which I couldn't do if I was playing. Its stressing.

I was wondering if anyone else could understand what I'm talking about. I don't really have any friends who can relate to me, seeing as they don't even know half of what I'm talking about.

(btw, anyone else like walking boxes?)

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 5:50 am

FieryGatoh wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else could understand what I'm talking about. I don't really have any friends who can relate to me, seeing as they don't even know half of what I'm talking about.

I am exactly the same way :wink: Prefer watching to playing.

An NT friend of mine said that he prefers gaming rather than watching movies because a game is like a movie with his own story line.

For me, playing computer games is actually stressful. You need to be in a hurry to build and destroy. I don't like to be in a hurry.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 6:00 am

I can definitely relate.

In the last two years videogames have become my main obsession, I constantly search for news and I've bought all current consoles, but then, when it comes to actually playing, I rarely find it pleasant, I often find it stressful or pointless, I enjoy admiring the graphics or trying to understand the storyline but not the actual playing. Maybe it would be better to cut down on videogames, I'm afraid what I'm into is just an addiction.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 7:27 am

When I only had a few games to play on my PC, I used to watch a friend of mine play games on his various systems (which I didn't have.) Sometimes he'd let me play, but usually I could only watch. It was entertaining at the time, though.

tomamil wrote:
An NT friend of mine said that he prefers gaming rather than watching movies because a game is like a movie with his own story line.

That's kind of how I see it. I prefer games to movies in part because I have some control over what I'm seeing.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 11:05 am

FieryGatoh,
if are bad at gaming,what about getting a action replay/game shark card/disc?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Replay

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 3:54 pm

Depends on the game.

If it's something linear with little-to-no interaction, like Final Fantasy, I find it much more entertaining to just sit back and watch. I did that with FF7, and when I got around to actually playing it myself, I lost interest pretty quick :oops:

Anything else, I'd rather play it myself.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:11 pm

Sometimes, depending on the game.

I prefered to watch my sister playing Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy X and other games she loved. I used to watch and sometimes, when she got stuck without knowing what to do next, I told her "try to do this. . ." or something like that.

However I'm more a gamer than a spectator.

Thornheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2008, 12:47 am

I like to watch, especially if the player is good at it. My sister does too and often yells at me to GO PLAY WINDWAKER SO I CAN WATCH.

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 3:24 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
FieryGatoh,
if are bad at gaming,what about getting a action replay/game shark card/disc?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Replay

I haven't really considered it, but my terrible gaming skills aren't the only problem.

The fact is that if I play, my brother will sit there and offer me advice. And I really hate people watching me when I'm sucking at something, let alone when they start to give advice. Its a problem of mine.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 8:19 am

My brother and I often have a relationship with certain games where one plays and the other watches, generaly I am the better gamer but he is realy good at aiding and some stratagy. Looking back in the old days I played games like Crash Bandicoot and he watched and he played Spyro and I watched, if he needed help at a part with gameing I would offer my help and if I needed a bit of stratagy he helped. Usualy when playing Coop I do the realy crazy manouvers and he aids me or gives some tactical thinking. When he played LOTR the third age I mostly watched and if I came up with an idea I told him and when I played my FPS games he would offer some things like where he thought would be a good stratagy. He is a good explorer and free thinking gamer while I am good with actual game play and moves. When we have played games like Smash brothers I have learnt a few things off of him, and he has learnt a bit more off of me, I find myself often trying to explain to him some good moves. Like he likes useing Ike and I am trying to tell him that if he did a bit more jumping and A button attacks in the air, though he would be a bit less deffensive but be a bit faster. It is funny as I learned some things just by watching him play games, then I use what other moves I have thought up and better him, love seeing his face when I do that, but I mostly come up with it by watching first.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 8:43 am

I like designing games more than playing them (mostly I play them at parties). I like to reinterpret games I've played in new ways, create original stories, imagine what sorts of graphics / sound I'd use, control schemes, and everything.

A few years ago I was obsessed with creating my own version of the Star Fox series, and recently I've imagined new Mario platformers (2D and 3D ones). Plus, for a long time I've imagined levels and characters for a new Smash Bros. game.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 1:04 pm

FieryGatoh wrote:
The fact is that if I play, my brother will sit there and offer me advice.

That's when you tell them to shut up or go away ;)

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 6:15 am

some games would make good movies

eg Kingdom Hearts.
My sister played through both the games and i just watched. I read the strategy book and told her what to do(she told me to). (the book would tell how where to go to get through the levels)

Kingdom hearts is a great story.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 10:27 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
My brother and I often have a relationship with certain games where one plays and the other watches, generaly I am the better gamer but he is realy good at aiding and some stratagy. Looking back in the old days I played games like Crash Bandicoot and he watched and he played Spyro and I watched, if he needed help at a part with gameing I would offer my help and if I needed a bit of stratagy he helped. Usualy when playing Coop I do the realy crazy manouvers and he aids me or gives some tactical thinking. When he played LOTR the third age I mostly watched and if I came up with an idea I told him and when I played my FPS games he would offer some things like where he thought would be a good stratagy. He is a good explorer and free thinking gamer while I am good with actual game play and moves. When we have played games like Smash brothers I have learnt a few things off of him, and he has learnt a bit more off of me, I find myself often trying to explain to him some good moves. Like he likes useing Ike and I am trying to tell him that if he did a bit more jumping and A button attacks in the air, though he would be a bit less deffensive but be a bit faster. It is funny as I learned some things just by watching him play games, then I use what other moves I have thought up and better him, love seeing his face when I do that, but I mostly come up with it by watching first.

That's the kind of "game relationship" I had with my sister.

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2008, 3:56 pm

i love playing games myself. i find it can be very entertaining being in the steering wheel of your own movie. however when it comes to some beat 'em up games. i sometimes enjoy watching the computer fight against itself. like in soul calibur 3 there was a theatre mode where you could just watch two enamys fight. i also like to test how my charecters play out without me behind the wheel using the same method. but yeah, i more enjoy playing them tbh.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Sep 2008, 4:39 pm

I find watching others play games interesting, because everyone plays games a little differently, and it's interesting to see the choices they make. It's kind of relaxing for some reason too. Like, actually playing a game isn't usually relaxing, because you're constantly having to think of what to do next, but watching someone else play a game can be. Especially games with good storylines like Final Fantasy. In fact, I think Final Fantasy games are sometimes funner to watch than to play.