Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

At what age should people be allowed to drink beer ?
21 age old (US) after being an adult for a few years. 31%  31%  [ 12 ]
18 years old (most of the world) so basicly adults. 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
16 years old (Netherlands) teenagers 31%  31%  [ 12 ]
No alcoholic drinks allowed period 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2008, 9:40 pm

The legal age is 5 in Britain.
Seriously.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 9:54 pm

Or a La Fin Du Monde

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 10:04 pm

i love the belgian ales...especially the trappists.

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Aug 2008, 10:47 pm

It should be 30.

Additionally pregnant women should be absolutely forbidden to drink alcohol. I hope you've heard of fetal alcohol syndrome. (Enough said.)

Ideally I'd like to outlaw alcohol for human consumption completely (except for medicinal purposes with a doctor's prescription), but I think that's completely unenforceable at this point.

As for the age, multiple studies show that anatomically significant areas of the human brain still haven't finished maturing well into the 20's, mostly associated with judgment and emotional control. It is also a well established fact that alcohol causes brain damage. It follows, therefore, that people under thirty (as a group) can't be reliably trusted to drink responsibly, and further that this mental immaturity may become a permanent condition (through damage to the rapidly developing areas) for people in that group who regularly drink.

As for government nit-picking about minimum age, don't be ridiculous! We have laws mostly to keep people from hurting each other. (And, by extension, themselves, for that matter.) The effects of alcohol abuse are so serious that there is ample cause to ban alcohol altogether, but as I've said, due to cultural/historical/addictive reasons, I don't think an outright ban is enforceable at this point, but it may be worth considering in the future.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 3:32 am

skafather84 wrote:
i love the belgian ales...especially the trappists.

Jupiler is also nice 8)

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:32 am

I know this sounds odd for a Belgian who lived in Ireland and now lives in Germany (three "beer oientated countries") but I dislike beer. Since on medication I do not touch any drip of alcohol anymore, beforehand I would drink a Pisang Ambon maybe twice a month and that was it. I find it a pity people need things like drugs or alcohol to have fun, but well, to each his own.

18 is the good age for me. Then you are legally adult and do what you want. I would disencourage alcohol usage and drug use, but since you cannot just ban alcoholic drinks I would set the minimum age at 18 which is also the age legal adulthood commences.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2008, 9:37 am

Encyclopedia wrote:
It should be 30.

Additionally pregnant women should be absolutely forbidden to drink alcohol. I hope you've heard of fetal alcohol syndrome. (Enough said.)

Ideally I'd like to outlaw alcohol for human consumption completely (except for medicinal purposes with a doctor's prescription),

Fascism is bad, mmmkay?

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Aug 2008, 9:44 am

No age limit at all. It's age discrimination. Same as I think that there should be none for voting.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:11 am

I'd go with 16 honestly as most 16 year olds, and even some younger people who want to drink seem to do it anyway around here with the drinking age at 21.

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2008, 10:21 am

ouinon wrote:
No age limit at all. It's age discrimination. Same as I think that there should be none for voting.

How many children do you have? How many have you raised? Two-year-olds really aren't competent to vote for national office.

Now, I'd also do away with an age limitation on voting, but I would impose a different set of criteria, based upon whatever arbitrary method favors me the most.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:28 am

I think 12 is a good age for legally being able to buy and drink alcohol independently. I think it should be legal for parents to give their kids drink at any age.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:41 am

I'm a bit fickle about keeping control of my own mind (to the point that i've had bouts of insomnia because sleep would mean losing control), and I never understood why people want to drink and willingly give up their mental controls all the damn time. It doesn't matter what ethnicity a person came from, what religion a person follows (even in those that forbid alcohol consumption), or what country a person is a part of, everyone wants to just keep consuming booze all the time. I don't mind the glass of wine with dinner (which has health benefits), but the evidence of so many alcoholics that try to consume whatever booze they can get their hands on is staggering at this point in time.

In another age (even into the early 20th century), alcohol was the only thing some people had to drink if clean fresh water wasn't available, but today, in the days of running water almost everywhere in developed countries, one would think alcohol usage would decline... if anything, it's risen since 1900.

Then again, since I don't like imposing my views on others forcibly, I'm actually for abolishing the drinking age...

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Aug 2008, 11:33 am

Dogbrain wrote:
ouinon wrote:
How many children do you have?

One.
Quote:
How many have you raised?

One.
Quote:
Two-year-olds really aren't competent to vote for national office.

Who is? Why be barred on account of age? As you go on to say.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 11:41 am

Yeah, I'm not sure that the government should set an age limit. That wouldn't stop individual stores or restaurants from having their own policies - if Tony's Italian restaurant wants to sell one glass of wine or beer to a 14 year old when they are dining with their parents, but not if they come in alone and belly up to the bar, that doesn't bother me. Likewise, if a grocery store wants to establish an age limit for them to sell beer, that is ok with me.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 12:07 pm

Its 18 here in Alberta, 19 in some other provinces, personally I think 21 should be the law, most NT kids are to immature at 18 wouldn't you say.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 12:27 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I'm a bit fickle about keeping control of my own mind (to the point that i've had bouts of insomnia because sleep would mean losing control), and I never understood why people want to drink and willingly give up their mental controls all the damn time. It doesn't matter what ethnicity a person came from, what religion a person follows (even in those that forbid alcohol consumption), or what country a person is a part of, everyone wants to just keep consuming booze all the time. I don't mind the glass of wine with dinner (which has health benefits), but the evidence of so many alcoholics that try to consume whatever booze they can get their hands on is staggering at this point in time.

In another age (even into the early 20th century), alcohol was the only thing some people had to drink if clean fresh water wasn't available, but today, in the days of running water almost everywhere in developed countries, one would think alcohol usage would decline... if anything, it's risen since 1900.

Then again, since I don't like imposing my views on others forcibly, I'm actually for abolishing the drinking age...

Fun is the word the word you forgot in this post. People would lose theyr mind if they had to be serious theyr whole life. Sure you can have fun without alcohol, but for my 90% of the time people find me funny is when i've had a couple. Normally i tend to be too dam serious all the time. It also tends to make me a spender instead of someone who hates spending alot of money, wich is kind of funny.
What you are reffering to is ale, like a extremely light beer that used to be safer for comsumption than water was.
Nobody is ever going to stop people from using alcohol or drugs. Some people just have this dire need to escape from reality at times. Especially those in bad neighorhoods.