Do you get anxiety about doing the simpliest activities?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 11:33 pm

Such as going to get a haircut/go to beauty salon, ordering groceries, or perhaps going to pay a bill?

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2008, 11:49 pm

Anxiety, unnormally, effects everything I do. :x

Those who know, don't speak.

Myles17
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2008, 11:55 pm

yes, i get ainxed about going to buy clothes. not a haircut though. I think i get ainxed because I don't want people to talk to me, and they always ask me stupid questions in public.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Aug 2008, 12:23 am

I used to get anxiety about everything if I had to do it by myself. Now that I don't have my parents following me constantly and I'm a bit more independent, I've become more comfortable with doing simple things. Some things that I used to get anxiety about I'm very comfortable with now. I do get anxiety about getting my hair done, as well as at the dentist. I think this is do to people being in my face, I find it difficult not to laugh, which is what I do when someone's making me nervous. I also still get anxiety about riding the bus. I sometimes panic if I'm in a big city or a downtown type area by myself.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 12:26 am

Ooo, yes. I hate this. When asked to do a simple task, I always seemed to miss one step, and bumble the whole thing. Simple things are NOT simple. Many times it's overthinking about the task, or forgetting an important part of the task. Usually it seems that people don't give me enough information, and I can't "think outside the box" about what they actually want. This is why I operate on lists these days. Have had enough trouble with bosses in the past, if there's not a list made up, I'll ask for one.

O, you asked about everyday stuff! Sorry, got work on the brain. I've a pretty structured life as it is, so I don't have too many problems in this area.

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2008, 12:40 am

Yes, but some types of "simple" activities have never really felt simple to me, such as purchasing items at a store. I hate that one.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Aug 2008, 1:26 am

Eire wrote:
Yes, but some types of "simple" activities have never really felt simple to me, such as purchasing items at a store. I hate that one.

That's one that I used to hate but am perfectly comfortable with now. Some stores have self-check outs. If it's dealing with the cashiers that makes you uncomfortable.

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 3:26 am

Sometimes I wonder if there is anything I can do without at least a little anxiety.

Buying stuff is pretty stressful, and I also get very anxious when movie begins. I'm not entirely sure why though.

ThisNamesTaken
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2008, 7:47 am

Yep, my anxiety never seems to go away unless i'm at home ( I live by myself)

So anything that involves going outside/ seeing other people causes major anxiety and it often takes a long time to prepare myself mentally to go out. This makes doing even simple things like going grocery shopping or collecting a prescription difficult.

I'm glad i'm not the only one going through this!

aintnowreck
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2008, 8:08 am

Oh yes, anything involving people makes me anxious.

The worst is going to the mall or "shopping", commuting is a close second and having diner in a restaurant close third.

Anyone goes to Costco here? Extreme sport on wekeends, even for NT's.

Not fun.

tielgirl5
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2008, 8:42 am

I get anxiety from trying to call people, or when they are more than 5 mins late. They did say they were going to be there at a certain time so they should be there at that time... (I know there's usually traffic, so leave earlier), I even get anxious when I have to go up to a complete stranger and ask them something- I don't mind when they come to me.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 3:48 pm

-JR wrote:
Ooo, yes. I hate this. When asked to do a simple task, I always seemed to miss one step, and bumble the whole thing. Simple things are NOT simple. Many times it's overthinking about the task, or forgetting an important part of the task. Usually it seems that people don't give me enough information, and I can't "think outside the box" about what they actually want. This is why I operate on lists these days. Have had enough trouble with bosses in the past, if there's not a list made up, I'll ask for one.

O, you asked about everyday stuff! Sorry, got work on the brain. I've a pretty structured life as it is, so I don't have too many problems in this area.

Ahah!

aww that sounds like mee... im good at jobs that I can get the hang of myself, not jobs that im required to figure things out for myself.. =[ sadly.. it always makes me feel so stupid! :x

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 9:32 pm

Yes...

If I have to make a phone call and I don't know the person, then if is really hard. I will make excuses to delay as long as possible. I even do this with email.

If I have to go somewhere and interact with people at, say the bank again, I have to prepare myself a day or two in advance to do it. Even then, when I walk in, I can't wait to leave and feel very uptight with all those strangers around.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 6:13 am

Probably not.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 12:16 pm

Just about everything makes me anxious!! !! :(
The worst however is going to public places (shopping malls etc) and social gatherings. I also avoid speaking on the phone, I usually sms or e-mail people instead, its far less exhausting

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 1:36 pm

Yes, anything involving people or going to new indoor environments makes me really nervous. I particularly hate getting my haircut and will put it off until it looks absolutely horrible, before I'll go. The smells, having my head and hair touched and the chit chat make me miserable. Hate it!

I also really hate buying gas for my car. I always feel like I'm going to do something wrong, and never know what to say to the attendants and again, the smells. Luckily I also really hate driving, because it also makes me super nervous, so I don't use much gas. :lol:

Smells really get to me, for ages I couldn't go to a movie because of that overwhelming stale popcorn smell, and all the perfumes, deodorants, fabric softeners etc. on the people around me. But I can now, I just get really nervous beforehand, but am usually OK when the movie has started, if it is interesting and after I get used to the volume.

So yup, all kinds of little every day things that other people do without even thinking twice make me very, very anxious. It would be nice not to be so "wound up" all the time.