Women Prejudging by Appearance?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 4:36 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Btw, sexism in nature is not always in the favor of the male.

Yes, being a male angler fish would suck.

Kellindil
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2008, 4:40 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
MissPickwickian wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
Word MissPick, despite of being with gender equality , I was accused many times of being 'sexist' when I state any nature/evolution-related theory.

You'll like this: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27908

Yes, that's what the article said.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 4:50 pm

Women tend to be less visual when it comes to sizing up men. That DOESNT mean that a Mans appearance is irrelevant but it does mean that She's looking for a LOT of other things besides a bodacious bod. What I know is as far as looks go women judge men primarily on their height and bodyweight, and some girls in their teens and early 20s like muscular guys but Ive found most educated women arent that interested in buff guys. As long as you dont actively stand out visually in a way that makes you seem creepy and/or low status OR you're waaaay out of shape I think appearance is something many women will overlook in favor of social skills and body language.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:12 pm

KingChaosNinja wrote:
Fnord wrote:
But does a person enjoy spending money, as opposed to becoming petulant or grumpy when they have to? Nobody likes a grumpy person, frugal or not.

Well then it should be, "Pleasant to be around?" or some such. But money is generally irrelevant in our situation, seeing as how it's very emotionally hazardous for us to be with shallow and materialistic people.

Already covered.

Fnord wrote:
Do you dress well?
Are you well-groomed?
Do you have good personal hygeine?
Are you able-bodied?
Are you in good health?
Do you own a car?
Are you dependable?
Do you live on your own?
Are you easy-going?
Do you have a job?
Are you honest?
Do you enjoy spending money?
Are you interesting?
Are you friendly?
Are you lovable?
Do you pay attention?
Are you well-mannered?
Do you have female friends?

Everything in bold type addresses the "Pleasant to be around?" question from different perspectives, which is important when dealing with detail-oriented, literal-minded people such as yourself.

The lack of money makes a person irrelevant, at least when it comes to relationships. All alse being equal, people would rather be in a relationship with someone who has money than with someone who doesn't - money itself is always relevant.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:53 pm

^
""money itself is always relevant""

Sad and true. So harsh is the world today, cant
escape the moneyside of things, its everywhere.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 6:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
All alse being equal, people would rather be in a relationship with someone who has money than with someone who doesn't - money itself is always relevant.

...well of course. That's an insanely obvious thing to say. That's like saying 'ell else being equal, they'll go with the person they think is sexier.' It's a no-brainer. It's not an indication of societal downfall or anything.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 6:43 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
Fnord wrote:
All alse being equal, people would rather be in a relationship with someone who has money than with someone who doesn't - money itself is always relevant.

...well of course. That's an insanely obvious thing to say. That's like saying 'ell else being equal, they'll go with the person they think is sexier.' It's a no-brainer. It's not an indication of societal downfall or anything.

It's a no-brainer ... you know it, I know it, and anyone with any common sense knows it. Yet, there are still people who claim that money is irrelevant in a relationship.

Speculation: Maybe they are so reluctant to admit it about themselves that they deny even the possibility that it could be true at all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 6:48 pm

Well it's not ALWAYS relevant though. People aren't entirely based on logic. I was referring to your scenario, which was all other circumstances equal, they'd go for the one with more money.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
I suppose I have a fairly masculine appearance, and I exercise regularly (note: not excessively muscular but more the build of a runner or swimmer), so maybe women I assume I have the social skills and particularly the flirting skills they have come to expect from fairly masculine-looking men. Since I do not meet their assumptions, they are turned off. Does this seem plausible?

Very plausible.

Do you dress well?
Are you well-groomed?
Do you have good personal hygeine?
Are you able-bodied?
Are you in good health?
Do you own a car?
Are you dependable?
Do you live on your own?
Are you easy-going?
Do you have a job?
Are you honest?
Do you enjoy spending money?
Are you interesting?
Are you friendly?
Are you lovable?
Do you pay attention?
Are you well-mannered?
Do you have female friends?

The more 'No' answers you have, the less attractive you are.

I have boldfaced the ones that don't apply to me (although some of the rest are a matter of opinion to an extent). Most of these things don't come up when you meet someone for the first time. I really haven't had very many instances in my life where I've interacted with a woman on multiple separate occasions.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:02 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
I suppose I have a fairly masculine appearance, and I exercise regularly (note: not excessively muscular but more the build of a runner or swimmer), so maybe women I assume I have the social skills and particularly the flirting skills they have come to expect from fairly masculine-looking men. Since I do not meet their assumptions, they are turned off. Does this seem plausible?

Do you think that being masculer bring a disadvantage that you might out shadow her in attractiveness, while not because you are an aspie.

I'm not extremely rugged, but I am definitely not effeminate in my appearance. I don't think women worry about this. I just think they expect me to know what I'm doing socially.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:12 pm

Yes that is plausible. I have experienced this. I am told that I am good looking, women I have slept with all tell me I have a hot body, etc. but I am also told that I am pretty socially awkward around people I don't know. I think a lot of women want a guy who is superior in all areas, ie has the looks/body, job/money/prestige, but also has the abundance of social skills. If you saw me after a new haircut with my nice clothes, you'd think it's some player guy/athlete who has it easy with women, but I'm more of a quiet/intelligent guy who plays games and spends a lot of time alone. When women realize what I'm really like, the interest cools off a bit it seems. I can only be me though.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2008, 12:00 am

Well has anyone taken a look as to how I dress? It's like the cologne from Anchorman. 60% of the time it works all the time. Except it almost never works, but I'm okay with that.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 12:22 am

Space wrote:
I think a lot of women want a guy who is superior in all areas, ie has the looks/body, job/money/prestige, but also has the abundance of social skills.

That is what I have found, you have to be better than them. Bigger, older, stronger, smarter, etc.. I totally agree.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 12:04 pm

MR_BOGAN wrote:
Space wrote:
I think a lot of women want a guy who is superior in all areas, ie has the looks/body, job/money/prestige, but also has the abundance of social skills.

That is what I have found, you have to be better than them. Bigger, older, stronger, smarter, etc.. I totally agree.

You're both referring to the "Alpha Male" archetype.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 12:10 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:

Yes, being a male angler fish would suck.

No, being a male spider would Suck(for sure)!

irikarah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2008, 2:24 pm

I've yet to meet two women who necessarily look for the same things in a guy, let alone any women who adhere so rigidly to dating the alpha-male type of guys. If that is what so many of you are noticing, that probably says more about you and the sort of people you associate with. Most people look to date within their particular niche in society. If you listen to mainstream music, watch big Hollywood movies, and don't read, you're probably going to attract people with similarly "safe" interests, which typically means people who try to meet societal expectations and trends. Part of that for guys means being muscular and financially stable. If you fall more on the fringes of that, it's easier to meet people who have developed different preferences.

Last edited by irikarah on 28 Aug 2008, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.