Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:24 pm

claire333 wrote:
crackedpleasures wrote:
I am against absolute freedom of speech because it is constantly abused by (often far right orientated) lobbyists who use it to spread hatred and divide amongst groups of people (racial hatred as most common example) and try to hide behind the freedom of speech.

I might have to disagree with this statement a bit. Hate speech with threats is one thing, but when people are expressing their opinions it is another. I myself, have been discriminated against my entire life due to the color of my skin. There are plenty of people out there who hate me just for the way I look. But frankly, that's their opinion and there is nothing I can do about it, and they are entitled to think whatever that want of me, just I am free to think what I want of them. Don't get me wrong...I'm not happy that bigots hate me for my appearance, but I have to admit I have respect for the ones who have the guts to say it. The one's I don't respect are the ones who say...We are all God's children and created equal and peace and love blah blah. Meanwhile, they've got a flag with a swastika hanging in their garage and they are sneaking out at night to spraypaint racial slurs on the side if their neighbor's house like a gutless coward. I would much rather someone tell me the truth than smile in my face while stabbing me in the back. At least that way I know who to steer clear of. There's plenty of views I don't agree with out there, as I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree with mine but we all have the right to say what we think.

What about the people who couldn't care less about melanin concentration
and don't perform hypocritical acts?

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I don't know...I would fall into that group. I have never been able to identify with any race in particular. Are you asking for my opinion of myself?

Last edited by claire-333 on 28 Aug 2008, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:48 pm

claire333 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I don't know...I would fall into that group. Are you asking for my opinion of myself?

No, of the ideological group.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:49 pm

claire333 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I don't know...I would fall into that group. Are you asking for my opinion of myself?

who doesn't perform hypocritical acts?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:52 pm

skafather84 wrote:
claire333 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

People who aren't hypocrites.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:52 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
claire333 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

doesn't exist.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:54 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
No, of the ideological group.

I think pure ideology is a bit unrealistic. However, the ideological group are free to daydream about utopia while the real world continues to spin right around them. They do have nice thoughts though...

Last edited by claire-333 on 28 Aug 2008, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:58 pm

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
claire333 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

doesn't exist.

Incorrect. It has to do with people being honest and practicing what they believe. A hypocrite is someone who, say, teaches a doctrine but denies they believe it by their practice.

If "ALL people are hypocrites" and you espouse Atheism, therefore you aren't an Atheist.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 10:18 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Incorrect. It has to do with people being honest and practicing what they believe. A hypocrite is someone who, say, teaches a doctrine but denies they believe it by their practice.

If "ALL people are hypocrites" and you espouse Atheism, therefore you aren't an Atheist.

Let us define a hypocrite:

A hypocrite is a person who holds belief set X and instead follows X'(where X != X').

Does this mean that all beliefs within X must be incorrectly followed? No, it means that X is not followed, and instead X' is followed. The difference between X and X' does not have to be in all things, it just has to exist. This means that a single belief, such as atheism, can exist, but not all beliefs can truly exist.

Now, let's just even continue and accept your logic. Let's just say that all atheists are hypocrites, does this mean that they are not atheists? No, they just are imperfect representatives of the ideal represented by atheism. All Christians are hypocrites too, and that is pretty clear and straightforward, but it does not follow that there are no Christians just because all of them defy the doctrine they espouse.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 10:50 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
A hypocrite is a person who holds belief set X and instead follows X'(where X != X').

I would not state that said person is neccesarily a hypocrite, for me it would not be about holding a belief, but about preeching, which makes more sense.

A person strongly preechs X and instead follows X'

I have to take in mind that the term hypocrite is subjective, so we might call one who might really not be the case, if we want to follow a more accurate definition of it. The intention is something important to take note here, which people sometimes miss.

A closer accurate description of a hypocrite, in my opinion, I think it would be someone for example, who preeches the love of God in a church and asks for money and donations for charity, but then, he steals the money for his own benefit. Heck, he might even not believe in God, after all.

Anyway, a more accurate definition of a hypocrite would have to be related to deception, someone who deceives people.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:36 am

greenblue wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

I would not state that said person is neccesarily a hypocrite, for me it would not be about holding a belief, but about preeching, which makes more sense.

A person strongly preechs X and instead follows X'

I have to take in mind that the term hypocrite is subjective, so we might call one who might really not be the case, if we want to follow a more accurate definition of it. The intention is something important to take note here, which people sometimes miss.

A closer accurate description of a hypocrite, in my opinion, I think it would be someone for example, who preeches the love of God in a church and asks for money and donations for charity, but then, he steals the money for his own benefit. Heck, he might even not believe in God, after all.

Anyway, a more accurate definition of a hypocrite would have to be related to deception, someone who deceives people.

Well, I don't think it has to do with preaching so much as claiming. Most people claim to be some things, so a hypocrite merely claims to be one thing and ends up being another, skafather never stated that we were talking about strong hypocrites, only hypocrites. So, the example of holding to X and actually following X' essentially works. Perhaps we should use "claims to hold" rather than "hold" but such differences are sort of small in the scheme of things I think.

If preaching were necessary, then skafather's claim would already be self-defeating as not all people preach.