Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 11:03 pm

greenblue wrote:
spudnik wrote:
I think in certain situations its ok to deny the right to free speech, I don't think prisoners
deserve the right, I also believe with enlisted personal there needs to be limits to what
can be freely spoken, as some information is on a need to know basis. But in a free
nation all citizens deserve the right for free speech, regardless of political or religious
views, and this should include the right to be politically incorrect.

The question is, how limited or how permisive free speech should be? and how accurately can we difference politically incorrect from hate speech or crime speech?

Well when politically incorrect crosses the line into hate rhetoric, against a race, gender, or sexual orientation, I agree, it would be a very fine line determining what is politically incorrect from hate or crime speech. I would assume people would know the difference, but that isn't always the case. I do think people get a little carried away with political correctness, banning Christmas themes at city or school functions was the first time I had ever heard the term, personally that is form of political incorrectness too, if people want to get technical, as it also crosses the line against christians who celebrate those holidays.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 11:09 pm

greenblue wrote:
The question is, how limited or how permisive free speech should be? and how accurately can we difference politically incorrect from hate speech or crime speech?

I would always error on the side of permissiveness, we are talking speech here, the worst that can happen is someone gets offended. I'd rather that millions be offended than one person's right to express their opinion be stifled, as should be made pretty clear by my one man crusade to offend as many people as possible on the internet :P

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 12:28 am

spudnik wrote:
greenblue wrote:
spudnik wrote:
I think in certain situations its ok to deny the right to free speech, I don't think prisoners
deserve the right, I also believe with enlisted personal there needs to be limits to what
can be freely spoken, as some information is on a need to know basis. But in a free
nation all citizens deserve the right for free speech, regardless of political or religious
views, and this should include the right to be politically incorrect.

Well when politically incorrect crosses the line into hate rhetoric, against a race, gender, or sexual orientation, I agree, it would be a very fine line determining what is politically incorrect from hate or crime speech. I would assume people would know the difference, but that isn't always the case. I do think people get a little carried away with political correctness, banning Christmas themes at city or school functions was the first time I had ever heard the term, personally that is form of political incorrectness too, if people want to get technical, as it also crosses the line against christians who celebrate those holidays.

The Chaska Recreation center, just 10 or so miles north of me, has, instead of Christmas celebration, some sort of winter festival about Norse gods and yule. Also, for some unknown reason, at the Ice Palace in Saint Paul, when I went in 2004, they had some celebration about the "god" Vulcan.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 12:32 am

f**k cock balls s**t whoremouth

see no freedom of speech

(good Yule is a much less materialistic crap fest then x mas)

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 12:35 am

A lot of scandinavians in Minnesota, thats were my grandfather was born, I am not to sure how they
celebrate the holidays, I think they roast those rubbery Ikea meatballs over a smoldering yule log.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 12:42 am

Kilroy wrote:
f**k cock balls sh** whoremouth

see no freedom of speech

What was that about?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 12:50 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
f**k cock balls sh** whoremouth

see no freedom of speech

What was that about?

I think he ate one of those meatballs, they give me a similar reaction, full of colorful metaphors.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 4:02 am

I am against absolute freedom of speech because it is constantly abused by (often far right orientated) lobbyists who use it to spread hatred and divide amongst groups of people (racial hatred as most common example) and try to hide behind the freedom of speech.

I am proponent of abolition of freedom of speech and a certain censorship. This does not have to be a huge difference as only in extreme examples when freedom of speech is abused for eg racism, violent talk, blackmailing, etc there should be a law preventing it. And as some statements are on the borderline of what is OK and what's not, a special commission should be created that judges these borderline cases.

I do think absolute freedom of speech is something mankind can simply not handle without some people abusing it.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2008, 4:32 am

I live in Britain where free speech has been eroded dramatically since the loony left took power.

For example, anyone who has the guts and the courage to protest against unabated immigration (Britain takes in any scrounging parasite from the four corners of the earth and gives them a free house and handouts for life at the poor taxpayers expense) is branded a racist. This is disgraceful. The immigrants of course have free speech with the full backing of the authorities. :x :x

like me,,,,,,,,she had a dream to fly

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:34 am

The dichotomy I have with 'free speech' is should those that are using this 'right' to try and restrict others free speech be free to speak it. I honestly cannot decide my viewpoint on this one.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 6:49 am

piroflip wrote:
I live in Britain where free speech has been eroded dramatically since the loony left took power.

For example, anyone who has the guts and the courage to protest against unabated immigration (Britain takes in any scrounging parasite from the four corners of the earth and gives them a free house and handouts for life at the poor taxpayers expense) is branded a racist. This is disgraceful. The immigrants of course have free speech with the full backing of the authorities. :x :x

Happens in Belgium as well. And I am glad it happens. Or would you rather let those people in the cold while returning to their own war-torn countries would be their death certificate? For fecks sake, be glad our governments have a heart and morals and offer those people a helping hand. I am welcoming them in Europe and support the multicultural society.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2008, 6:59 am

crackedpleasures wrote:
piroflip wrote:

Happens in Belgium as well. And I am glad it happens. Or would you rather let those people in the cold while returning to their own war-torn countries would be their death certificate? For fecks sake, be glad our governments have a heart and morals and offer those people a helping hand. I am welcoming them in Europe and support the multicultural society.

The high ranking politicians who allow them in don't have to live next door to them.
over 80% of Somalians living in Britain have no job.
they are scrounging parasites feeding off the tax payer.

Last edited by piroflip on 28 Aug 2008, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2008, 7:10 am

Btw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they are supposed to claim asylum in the first qualifying country that they encounter. Since when has Britain bordered Somalia, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 7:16 am

piroflip wrote:
Btw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they are supposed to claim asylum in the first qualifying country that they encounter. Since when has Britain bordered Somalia, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc?

The Somalians are, of those I've met and worked with, rather nice people.

As to the bordering countries: should Somalians seek asylum in Egypt? Should Iranians seek asylum in Iraq? There are usually more highly charged racial and other animosities from nearby countries than there are in countries far away.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2008, 7:23 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
piroflip wrote:

The Somalians are, of those I've met and worked with, rather nice people.

As to the bordering countries: should Somalians seek asylum in Egypt? Should Iranians seek asylum in Iraq? There are usually more highly charged racial and other animosities from nearby countries than there are in countries far away.

A couple of years ago a British policewoman was killed by Somalian gangsters as she tried to stop them committing a robbery. These were brothers and all asylum seekers, one of whom is still on the run and being hidden by the Somalin community.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 8:28 am

The law says the asylum seeker should not cross half the world no. But if this asylum seeker happens to think Britain/Belgium/HOlland/Germany/... is a safer place than the country next door... well, if a government then refuses asylum and sends him back home (knowing this is like signing a death cert.) then this government just proves it has no heart at all. I am happy that European governments open their doors to immigrants, especially when we're talking of those who have no other place to go. Other than that, you can learn from other cultures rather than to see them as a threat. If tax money is used to feed and supply them with a house and minimal comfort, then good thing, finally some tax money used for things that are actually useful and humane.