Giving talk to preschool teachers - advice needed

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

27 Aug 2008, 8:48 pm

Next month I am running a workshop for preschool teachers titled 'Introduction to Asperger's - identifying and supporting preschoolers on the spectrum.'

I have 2 sons with Asperger's who have very different personalities so I hope I can give an idea of different presentations eg not a monotype personality

I will talk about sensory issues. I am wondering about fluro lights. I know many people with Asperger's have reported they hate fluro lights. Does this include the new energy conserving fluros that are replacing traditional light bulbs?

Regards
Heeln

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Aug 2008, 8:54 pm

My son and I both are bothered by flourescent lights. the new ones bother him more than me, but they drive me crazy as they are getting ready to go out.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 8:58 pm

I've actually had thoughts about giving talks about autism, since my son and I are both under the spectrum. It's something I really need to psych myself up for because if I am not truly ready, the speech will be a disaster. But its something that is certainly in the back of my mind for future plans!

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:57 pm

My son hasn't had any issues with fluorescent lighting as of yet. But as someone stated earlier, the inconsistent flickering before they burn out does get to me.

Today I gave the presentation on my son's multiple medical issues and his ASD. It went well. There were a few surprised faces when I mentioned being an Aspie myself. I got the feeling that at least a couple of them could see that being on the spectrum isn't such a bleak outlook.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:37 pm

Wonderful!
You might donate to the teachers a copy of Thinking in Pictures and any other book that explains our issues and variety well.
When I was young, fluorescent lights drove me nuts. As my senses fade with age, they don't bother me any more until they get slower flickery.