Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

rjay09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2008, 10:44 pm

Hey WP, was hoping you could help me with a question I've been thinking about all summer.

I am 20 and in college, at a state university. For the first two years, I've mostly been hanging out with some heavy party guys. They're good people and funny to be around, but I really don't have much in common with them at all. They prefer sports video games, I prefer RPGs, MMOs, FPSs. They drink every night, I don't. They hang out with college floozies and I just don't mix well with that type of girl. Etc, etc... although that last one is kind of important. 8)

So what can I do to expand my social circle a bit to include some 'geekier' types that might share more of my interests above? Any ideas, clubs, events, etc?

Thanks guys and gals!
~RJ

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 11:43 pm

A comic book store can't hurt, and, if you can handle the extra classes, take Japanese. I met my nerdiest friends from college in Japanese (outside of my engineering courses).

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 12:34 am

Actually, just about any foreign language class is good, especially dead languages, if you're interested in that. Classes in engineering, IT, English, just about anything outside of the standard classes that everybody has to take. But don't take them just to meet people. Pick one you like, and you're more likely to find someone with similar interests.

Also look to see what clubs and organizations your school has. Gaming clubs and academic clubs among others might be a good place to look.