British Hacker using Aspergers as a defence

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

psych
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 7:52 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Justice? Yes.

Well if its justice you want, we can write off extradition to the US. A profoundly unjust nation, by western standards.

Quote:
Do you understand the implications of all this?.. ..No, this guy needs to be made into an example for others.

Look, you have to decide whether its 'justice' you want or to 'make an example of' , because you cant always have both at the same time, theres a conflict of interests, the former being compromised by the latter.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:10 pm

Ah, so you're English. Explains it.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 10:28 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Fascism? No. Justice? Yes.

So both the government and its court-system is corrupt, so ... that must mean this hacker couldn't possible tell a lie or deceive anyone, right? I mean, computer hacking is an honest occupation, right?

Let's just see how this all plays out.

of course the government is corrupt, and of course the courts are as well.. sorry, its obvious to me, but thats only because i know more about it then you :D

no its not an honest occupation, but he doesnt deserve life in prison for not having an honest occupation.. the same way a prostitute doesnt deserve life in prison for not having an honest occupation..

The Government doesnt have an honest occupation either.. make an example of them then?.. set your standards straight..

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 10:33 pm

Obviously you're biased in favour of the accused. You couldn't serve on the jury.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 10:59 pm

hell im not biased.. I just have a good sense of justice.. and I dont think im biased for thinking he shouldnt have life in prison. He didnt commit a terrible crime, and that is my unbiased opinion.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 11:10 pm

The thread title is a bit misleading... he's not using aspergers as a defense, he's bringing it up as a mitigating factor... nothing improper about that...

Some aspies fare very poorly in a prison environment, due to their trusting nature and the tendency of others to bully or take advantage of them...

Doesn't mean he should go without punishment... just that the usual punishment would be more severe for this person than it would be for a neurotypical...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:29 am

Instead of "big boy prison," where should we send this miscreant after his conviction? Back home, where he can get back to his computer hacking posthaste and without delay?

Aspie Jail, where all the inmates are super-cool?

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:42 am

slowmutant wrote:
Instead of "big boy prison," where should we send this miscreant after his conviction? Back home, where he can get back to his computer hacking posthaste and without delay?

Aspie Jail, where all the inmates are super-cool?

How about.. MINIMUM security prison for like.. 6 months?..

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:47 am

Sure, whatever is standard for white-collar criminals. A place like San Quentin is not where he belongs. Let me explain something, when I was talking about making an example of him, I wasn't talking about killing him and putting his head on a pole. No, that would be a little extreme. What I meant was that I want this case to become a precedent in future cyber-crime cases and the prosecuting of them.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:09 am

yeah i didnt say he should get a slap on the wrist either.. but I was saying he SHOULDNT get life in prison which is what I heard they were planning for him.. if you were facing life in prison you would play every card in the book, I can see why using Aspergers would be valid.. i wouldnt wanna go away for life, its so unconstitutional to the crime..

but minimum security prison for half a year seems fine to me..

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 7:52 am

slowmutant wrote:
It's not like he hacked the military networks by accident. He knew damn well what he was doing and the wrongness of it. Are Aspies any less accountable for their actions than NTs?

Hacker nerds should answer to the same law everyone else does. Being "special" does not elevate you above crime & punishment. I am so sick of this bullsh1t! :x

He was an Englishman, who broke English laws, on English soil, so he should be tried by English law, except he isn't, he is being shipped to a country he is not a citizen of, on whose soil he has never set foot, and being tried under a foreign justice system.

The stink about this case is precisely that he is NOT answering to the same law his peers do.

His action may have been against US law, but he's not a US citizen, and he didn't commit it on US soil. So tough cookies.
It WAS however also against English law, and for that he should be tried, in England, before an English court.

L.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 7:57 am

Would you suggest a stiffer sentence than 6 months in a holiday resort prison?

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 11:45 am

a stiffer sentence than 6 months in holiday resort prison?.. hmm no, because then he'd just have a longer holiday.

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2008, 12:55 pm

psych wrote:
From what ive read, he was only investigating a suspected coverup of UFO evidence. by having a peek at totally unsecured networks. That doesnt strike me as wrong.

I don't have a security fence around my entire yard. People who enter my yard without permission are still trespassing.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:25 pm

Dogbrain wrote:
psych wrote:
From what ive read, he was only investigating a suspected coverup of UFO evidence. by having a peek at totally unsecured networks. That doesnt strike me as wrong.

I don't have a security fence around my entire yard. People who enter my yard without permission are still trespassing.

those laws are becoming abolished.. because no one really 'owns' property anymore.. accept for the gangster bankers..

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 2:50 pm

SpiceWolf wrote:
...He was an Englishman, who broke English laws, on English soil, so he should be tried by English law, except he isn't, he is being shipped to a country he is not a citizen of, on whose soil he has never set foot, and being tried under a foreign justice system.

The stink about this case is precisely that he is NOT answering to the same law his peers do.

His action may have been against US law, but he's not a US citizen, and he didn't commit it on US soil. So tough cookies.
It WAS however also against English law, and for that he should be tried, in England, before an English court.

L.

Well said. Gordon Brown has got his nose as far up the arse of Bush as that bastard Blair, and that's the only reason the guy is being made a scapegoat for the incompetence of the Yanks, and is being sent to the US where he will be coerced into a guilty plea by their morally-bankrupt plea bargain system. They've already done that with a bunch of British bankers, and who knows it could be any other British citizen next. I think any Yank would be wise not to take a visit to our country in the near future, because as far as some of us are concerned they're just not welcome if their government carry on sticking their nose into our business this way.

Dogbrain wrote:
I don't have a security fence around my entire yard. People who enter my yard without permission are still trespassing...

And in English law trespass is a civil matter, not a criminal offence, so your ignorance has done well to further expand the point being made. Of course, it's understandable a US citizen not having a bloody clue about a place where their government is causing trouble.

You know, I was very pro-US a few years ago, but now I can actually understand why a large part of the world thinks of you as the enemy.