Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:02 pm

Since making friends in high school is not really working out for me, I've decided I could make some friends in my town, but I wonder how I can do that?

Also, I'm still searching for any autism meetup groups here in the Triad area.

DustinWX
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Aug 2008, 12:58 am

Dude, I'm going to be straight with you bro. You cannot seek out friendships, they just have to come man. There has to be a connection and an ACCEPTION of your differences for the friendship to work. Or strong common interests, but that usually doesn't work for me.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:14 am

its hard to make friends.. for normal people it comes easier.. because they are on the same wavelength.. you will always have a harder time making friends, because you are just not on the same wavelength..

you probably do not like to do the same things as them.. people can sense things in you pretty easily.. i get judged so quickly i barely ever have a chance..

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 4:14 am

Uhhh...what? I don't get both of you two's advice. :?

DustinWX
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Aug 2008, 8:30 am

roygerdodger wrote:
Uhhh...what? I don't get both of you two's advice. :?
Ok mr. intelligent.

Go up to some random girls in your town and say HI WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND AND HANG OUT WITH ME???????????! !! !! !!

It will work, trust me.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 11:52 am

Quote:
Go up to some random girls in your town and say HI WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND AND HANG OUT WITH ME???????????! !! !! !!

That's a terrible idea. It leaves you completely exposed to any potential cruelty.
I say, stick with the common interests. I'm a musician, and have made friends with the other street musicians in the next town over(though one of them lives in my town). I love anime, and made friends with people by joining the anime club at college. I love video games, and made friends with people by working at Gamestop(they were my co-workers).

IRWEASEL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2008, 2:21 pm

FireMinstrel wrote:
Quote:

That's a terrible idea. It leaves you completely exposed to any potential cruelty.
I say, stick with the common interests. I'm a musician, and have made friends with the other street musicians in the next town over(though one of them lives in my town). I love anime, and made friends with people by joining the anime club at college. I love video games, and made friends with people by working at Gamestop(they were my co-workers).

This guy clearly has no idea what he's on about... The other guys advice is great.

Go up to a girl, say you love her, touch her boob, then you will have a girlfriend.

Try it, It works

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 12:39 am

OP, I wouldn't do IRWEASEL's idea....sexual harassment..hmm does it apply at 16 though?

I'm tempted to try out DustinWX's idea but as others said that's opening yourself to personal attacks so... :?

Also I remember going to a local park once in a while, same for a bookstore...eventually something should happen; met some different people, talked to them, etc. 2 days in a row once last year

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 6:23 pm

IRWEASEL wrote:
This guy clearly has no idea what he's on about... The other guys advice is great.

Go up to a girl, say you love her, touch her boob, then you will have a girlfriend.

Try it, It works

You must be joking.....right???

What if the girl has a boyfriend????? Now if the boyfriend catches you hitting on his girl, he'll beat the hell out of you. Even if she didn't have a boyfriend, she might perceive you as a weirdo and file a sexual harassment lawsuit against you.

You want friends??....Then participate in some activities that require social interaction during your spare time such as martial arts, dancing, ang yoga lessons.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 11:39 pm

Ignore DustinWX and IRWEASAL. They're just yanking your chain.

Get involved in something that you enjoy. Join a club. Talk to people in your classes at school. Join school organizations. Go to church.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

DustinWX
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2008, 12:32 am

I was being sarcastic because this kid asks stupid questions. You make friends, just because you do. Otherwise deal

lukesneeringer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2008, 1:19 am

@DustinWX
As a thought, using sarcasm on a forum dedicated to being a community for people with Asperger Syndrome (who, as a rule, have difficulty picking up on sarcasm), and also toward someone who is genuinely seeking advice and trying to understand how to address a social situation that he doesn't understand--that's probably not doing anyone any good. And his question isn't stupid; it's tough to make friends sometimes. To be honest, you're actually being extremely rude, for no apparent reason as far as I can tell.

@roygerdodger
It's tough to make friends sometimes, and to be honest, I don't have any particularly good advice for you. Try to smile and be kind, and eventually there will be people who see through things like awkward social interactions and will get to know you and befriend you. I know that encouragement likely doesn't solve any of your problems, and believe me, if I had anything more to offer, I would...but it's there nonetheless.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 1:24 am

I have made only one friend in my town. As for finding females Aspies who are single and live within 50 miles of me, my chances are zero.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 4:39 pm

Make that 4 friends.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!