Telling 'dates' about your diagnosis

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2008, 5:09 pm

^Isn't him criticizing you about your symptoms a symptom of his? The schoolyard referee?

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 6:13 pm

I would once I knew them. But then again, telling someone on the first date could be a way of finding their true colors.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 6:42 pm

There was some things i didnt know when growing up,
i met girls and sometimes felt like trying to explain that
i didnt know what happened to me sometimes, but didnt
know what to say. But, 9/10 times or something they
would mention it after getting to know me a little, "you know,
you`re so weird", but in a kidding way with a smile and
some truth behind it, they beat me to it. Always felt dumb
when they said it but i just concured and had no explanation.
Sometimes it felt like they liked that weird part of me, those
small quirks, called me things like "my own little weirdo" :)
those times it felt a little better to be "weird"

edit---
9/10 times sounded so "much", just an example, not that i`ve
had girl after girl after girl going by me or anything like that
and i`m counting regular friends that were just friends.
remember one girl that was a friend and became almost more
like a sister very fast. She just told me straight out that she
liked hanging around and talking just because i made her laugh
and we had alot in common to talk about, and she liked the
weirdnes factor as she put it :) that was very nice, more of
a brother/sister-thing almost, a good friend

Last edited by ImTheGuyThatDidThat on 01 Sep 2008, 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2008, 8:38 am

Ah so that's where i've been going wrong! I mention the OCD, but haven't mentioned Aspergers to anyone yet, that would be for people who cared about me, and those people know that I am different anyway, without the labels. "Jenk I know you have to do that four times, but we are going to be late." "You are taking ages what are you doing?" "Painting my face!"

Good luck, hope it goes well for you.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 11:48 am

fruitcake wrote:
I am considering dating again, its been along time, in the meantime I have collected a few diagnosis mostly HFA/Bipolar/Ceoliacs disease/Hyperacusis. It is bothering me about approaching the subject, anyone dealth with this. I am using a internet dating sight to meet people. Clearly I don't put any mention directly to this on my profile more than wanting to hide my issues I am more concerned about attracting the wrong sorts as technically I am a little vulnerable. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on this issue and how they dealt with coming out so to speak.

Don't tell anyone, only people that need to know, personally I would never tell anyone. Once it's out it's out, most people are stupid and prejudice. Just remember that.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:30 pm

It explains a lot of who I am, the hows and and whys of what I do... if someone can't accept that readily, then their own issues may already constitute a major obstacle in establishing any friendship. In a recent conversation, the question was asked if I shunned those who didn't accept me for who I am; the answer is that I do not shun, but I will not apologize... and to go further, I won't hide it either. The process of homogenization removes those very aspects that make one unique, interesting, those pieces that allow a strong connection to be made, like fitting into a jigsaw puzzle snugly. Long story short, while it isn't something that will come up on the first date, if I am going to be involved with someone then they should know this about me.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!