Page 6 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

lau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 11:53 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
...What really, really, blows is that for example none of the n methods to change volume is able to disable prboom's sound.

Erm.... "prboom -nosound"?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 3:55 pm

lau wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
...What really, really, blows is that for example none of the n methods to change volume is able to disable prboom's sound.

That's not a method to change volume.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 6:16 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
lau wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

That's not a method to change volume.

You asked for a method of disabling its sound. The volume controls are under ESCAPE/Options/Sound Volume. (Or just F4)

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 9:36 pm

Well, just saying, the computer's volume control should be global, and it isn't, and that's lame.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 2:18 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Well, just saying, the computer's volume control should be global, and it isn't, and that's lame.

Actually, I've just tried it out yet again, and I can say that the volume control is global...

...however, for some reason known best to itself, prboom seems to choose to utterly capture the mouse and keyboard, so you can't get to the system's volume control any more.

I experimented, by setting the volume before starting prboom. Sure enough, the sound level was reflected in prboom.

Actually, I find I have to kill prboom, sometimes. It locks up in some fashion that stops me from controlling it. Luckily, Ctrl/Alt/1 still lets me get to a console, where I can "kill -SIGKILL" the stupid thing!

Actually, I quite like "Doom" and have a full version... somewhere. Maybe I'll see if I can figure out how to get to the other levels.

PS. Indeed, "prboom -iwad DOOM.WAD", once I'd found the three CDs, and figured out which one had the wad file, worked a treat.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Actually, I've just tried it out yet again, and I can say that the volume control is global...

ubuntu eee?

Well, I set the volume to 0 before running prboom, and it was still banging altogether.

Quote:
Actually, I find I have to kill prboom, sometimes. It locks up in some fashion that stops me from controlling it. Luckily, Ctrl/Alt/1 still lets me get to a console, where I can "kill -SIGKILL" the stupid thing!
Sounds like the crash bug that requires you to run with -nomusic or install timidity.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 2:29 am

for those of you runing debian style eepcs, this may prolong your ssd life.
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/09/0 ... te-drives/

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 4:18 am

So I got around to buying a $20 1 gig SD card and I installed puppy linux on that and it run fine on the eee. the sound doesn't work and I may have to play around to get to work along with the other hardware. There is a special eee version of puppy which will be better. the eebunutu looks the best though.

I might buy a 8 gig SD card and install Windows XP on it one day.

the eee is a bit flakey booting off usb flash drives, I always had to press the esc key when booting it up and sometimes that wouldn't work. Booting from SD card works fine. I like SD cards better because they do not stick out of the side of the babybook.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 11:14 am

MR_BOGAN wrote:
I might buy a 8 gig SD card and install Windows XP on it one day.

Sources say this doesn't work. The thumb and SD cards have a bit sized chunk of data that indicates that the drive is a removable one. Windows doesn't like this, but it is possible to flip that bit off.

Just so you know before you waste the use of an xp licence.