Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2008, 9:42 pm

I need help overcoming problems from the aforementioned title. I should give a full explanation, which is below.

I am a Social Democrat who used to live in the festering backwater of Colorado Springs. All of the following happened at High School. While there I constantly bashed for my opinions, had people insinuate things about my sexuality (I'm straight, but tolerant on many issues), and generally neglected by others. In my last year of High School I did eventually make some friends, even with the double handicap of AS and being Liberal. However, half of my friends were also friends of a rather mean who did not like me and time and again rubbed me the wrong way. Eventually, she said the we should not help poor people. Considering ancestors 2+ generations back worked their ass off to get into the middle class, and sometimes needed government help. To say the least I became insanely angry. Angry to they point of yelling at 100 db at this b****es face from about 2 feet away. (This was during class, but the teacher, and with the exception of my three "friends', did not intervene. Seems they liked what I was doing) However, these people did not like that I stood up for my opinion and they (in my opinion) abandoned me. (The reaction should have been expected: I was the most vocal liberal at my school.) They distanced themselves so far away. My experience the AS says that basically AS robs you of your vision socially, meaning, in my case at least, I need guides. So when three people do that to me it is very damaging. Also they were Repubs. Granted, not all of my republican friends abandoned me, some actually helped me recover. But this jaded me against all others I met since. Whenever I find out a person is a Republican, I immediatly leave the area they are. When I see a group of them I snarl.

I know this is a problem, but what do I do about it? I know I'm bitter, but what do I do to get rid of it.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 11:44 pm

Yea, republicans scare me too. One actually came into work the other day and started spouting off about McCain and the awesome things he's going to do 'WHEN' he wins... I went in the back and grabbed my Obama sign and hung it up in front of her. Boss couldn't stop laughing.

I've found the best way to get rid of them is to not even discuss politics. Now, I'm a Christian, I believe in a higher power, but I don't think that higher power is out to kick everyone's rear for not doing things just so. I mean, please.

Nowadays, all the republican party seems to be is a bunch of church nutters with no sense of how to run a country with OTHER religions in it. I've not met every republican, I'm sure there's decent ones out there, but mixing the church and the gov't is not the way this country is supposed to work. It's the whole reason we left England, so we wouldn't have to listen to that from our leaders. And the people who tell us that every little bad thing that happens to this contry is cause God is punishing us? I actually had some nut tell me that's what Katrina was. I about whipped him, cause I'm sorry, but thats mother nature. Take it up with her. And stop playing with people's feelings. They speak of a loving God who is beating us up for not being good? Are they for real? A loving God doesn't get mad over every little thing.

Whoops... I think that ought to have ended up in PPR... *sheepish*

Just don't bring up politics where you might come in contact with Republicans, and you'll be able to avoid them. This means no Obama shirts at work... yada yada...

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2008, 12:07 am

You can't reason with right-wing block heads, especially religious ones.

I'd just say some random s**t to offend them (e.g., "Gay people are cool, f**k jesus, weed is good, etc.").

If you're in a class that involves debate (e.g., philosophy), take a real extreme position (e.g., churches should be outlawed) and argue it like you literally believed it.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 8:50 pm

Don't worry about them. There are always going to be inconsiderate people out there (in this instance, the girl was being inconsiderate in not wanting to help poor people). Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, and very few people can make a difference on their own. There are still Neo-Nazis around, but we can't change their opinion, right?