A teen cursing at me made me feel uncomfortable

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

01 Sep 2008, 10:11 pm

Today my boyfriend and I went to his old boss's house for Labor day barbecue. His family does it every year.
I was in the basement on the computer watching a video on siamese twins on youtube. It was a news clip about 4 month old infants from Kenya being conjoined at the chest. These teens that were also there come down in the basement and one of them comes in the bedroom and says to me "What the f**k are you watching?"
I tell him "a video about siamese twins" and the other teen tells him it means they are stuck together and he looks at the video with me and he says "That's disgusting, why the f**k are you watching it?"
I say "because it's interesting" and he says "Why the f**k is it interesting?"

The profanity made me real uncomfortable. I was just minding my own business and he comes in and starts cursing at me for no reason. After he left the room and went in the other room with the other two teens, I got off the computer and went upstairs and decided I am leaving because I didn't want to be there with that teen. I didn't complain about it to his parents but my boyfriend did, I just decided I wanted to leave because I wanted to buy a pot for my plant and planting soil and I wasn't enjoying my time there anyway because socializing is boring and their house is dirty it's disgusting. My boyfriend told me he cursed because he is just a teen. :?
Excuse me, I see young adults doing it too and it also makes me uncomfortable too. One time I saw a young guy talking on the phone at a bus stop when I got off work. He was cursing and it made me uncomfortable there, then the bus came and I got on and so did he and he was cursing as he talked and I was so happy when they bus driver told him he needs to lay off the cursing. I wonder if lot of people feel uncomfortable with it because profanity isn't allowed on the buses here. Even some other places don't allow it.

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2008, 10:34 pm

It makes me uncomfortable, but I sometimes do it . My wife is really uncomfortable with it, when we first met and even now if I curse ( I usually do it if I hurt myself) , she'll replace my swearwords with other words like fudge or crumbs or cheese whiz, despite what you may think they aren't all food words. Anyway she says it makes her uncomfortable (especially if the person is talking to her ) because to her it connotes anger.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 12:41 am

It doesn't bother me. In fact, if I didn't censor myself, every other word would be the "curse" in question. It doesn't seem that he was cursing at you, rather, conversing with you with cursing intermixed amongst the words.

Some people use it without meaning offense; it's just how they talk, especially around people they deem as peers or "cool".

IIRC, you had said curse in your signature awhile ago, did you not? Pot, kettle, and all.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 12:49 am

I can see how you can feel uncomfortable with that imature brat. It's not that he just cussed, he displayed disgust at someone for simply egsisting. (namely the twins) "Oh that's disgusting!" What's so disgusting about them?! I wouldn't be very amused either.

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 02 Sep 2008, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 12:52 am

I think this kid just needs to familiarize himself with the Internet. Then maybe he'll stop complaining so much.

02 Sep 2008, 1:13 am

LiendaBalla wrote:
I can see how you can feel uncomfortable with that imature brat. It's not that he just cussed, he displayed disgust at someone for simply egsisting. (namely the twins) "Oh that's disgusting!" What's so disgusting about them?! I wouldn't be very amused either.

Because they were stuck together. I was grossed out too when I first heard about it in my teens but then I got used to it, I am not grossed out by it anymore or even freaked out by it.

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2008, 3:24 am

What's worse than a teen?
Right: Two teens.

He didn't curse for the vidoe or for you, he cursed most likely just to "impress" teen no. 2.
Or the two of them had talked each other in a "cursing mood" about something totally different.
The term "what the f*ck" can't even be regarded as true cursing with teens, it's more a kind of emphasizing.