Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 4:05 pm

I just read that Google have admitted messing up the eula and are going to change it. I've also no intention of switching from Firefox. It does everything I want with AdBlocker plus and Noscript.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 4:30 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I just read that Google have admitted messing up the eula and are going to change it. I've also no intention of switching from Firefox. It does everything I want with AdBlocker plus and Noscript.

Google Chrome may eventually incorporate similar features for their browser.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 4:46 pm

pat666rick wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Google Chrome may eventually incorporate similar features for their browser.

Possibly, but I'm not sure. There is a strong conflict of interest. Google gets most of their income from Internet advertising. The main target of AdBlocker Plus is Google sponsored adverts. So do Google take the red pill or the blue pill?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:24 pm

Actually, Google don't care which browser you use. This isn't an attempt to take over from firefox.

Instead, it's an attempt to start a trend towards faster and more stable web browsers - so that people will be more willing to move to cloud computing platforms. That's where google's real interests lie.

If you're using firefox or IE but also using Gmail, Google Reader, Blogger, Google Chat, Google Alerts, Orkut, Google Analytics, Google Docs, Google Base and Google Picasa then you're already on the majority of their cloud computing platform. They don't need to convince you that it's the way to go.

but.

If you don't use those things because your browser is slow or crashes, then they're hoping that chrome (when it's finished and released - remember it's very early beta) will convince you that it's viable.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 9:51 am

Psimulus wrote:
It seems to have a text editing issue for me. As an example, attempt to edit one of your post and you may see what I mean.

Agreed major problem there. Other than that it does seem bloody fast

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 10:26 am

gbollard, what about mozilla's Ubiquity, what do you think

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 3:47 pm

Looks like there are some things to iron out yet:

Chrome is a security nightmare, indexes your bank accounts:
link

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 4:40 pm

I got past the "Upgrade your browser" Not the easiest thing to find "ignore this notice" or whatever it says. I prefer FireFox, and if I have to in dire situations use Internet Explorer 6 or Netscape Navigator

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 5:56 pm

Computerlove,

Thanks for the redirect to Ubiquity it's quite interesting and has a few features I'd use.

It's interesting that Mozilla's idea of mashups is similar yet different to IBMs. The IBM idea is to connect different bits of data to applets in other frames. It's already working and available and I've seen a lot of great business level demonstrations.

The IBM demos are a bit dry but you can see them on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ItsMashtastic

In the meantime I'm gonna play with Ubiquity.

Thanks again!