I don't fear work, just the process of getting there.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2008, 5:03 pm

I’m twenty three yet have never had a job in my life.

The whole working aspect I don’t mind. I want to have a job. I don’t mind doing work. Rather it be stocking shelves for a grocery store or cleaning bathrooms or sweeping the floor... or doing whatever. I’d be happy to do it

It is simply the process of getting the job I can’t handle. Or I don’t know if I can handle as I haven’t yet... the simple thought of it scares me s**tless.

Things like filling out an application and having to answer the phone if they decide to call you back. Or having to call them for whatever reason and going on an interview. Those things terrify me. Even as something as simple as just answering the phone as I mentioned, makes me have a near panic attack at times.

I know what to do as far as things like interviews (dressing nicely, shaking hands, eye contact/etc.... I is simply having to actually DO those things that get to me.

If I could just show up a place and start working I’d do it in a heartbeat. Sadly the world does not work that way.

I also don’t drive... I fear it and also live in a small town so jobs are limited.

I have completed highs school and have my diploma, but other than that I have no other skills or abilities to bring or talk about.

Has anyone been in a situation like mine? Any advice? My mom says I should tell them (when I do try for a job) I suffer from Aspergers. I don't know though. Would/do/have you told?

I thought about trying to go through some workshop where they help you find a job that suits you. I know nothing about how that works however. If anyone has been through a program like such could you please tell me what it was like?

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 5:57 pm

McCann_Can_Triple wrote:
If I could just show up a place and start working I’d do it in a heartbeat. Sadly the world does not work that way.

Tell. Me. About. It! I'm 24 and have never been able to get full-time work. In my experience, getting a job is MUCH harder than actually having one. Sure, having one can be hard depending on what it is, but after taking the effort to get you, they're usually pretty set on trying to keep you. Have you thought about easing into things gradually? Maybe get a part-time job or an internship? Volunteering can also be good, since you'll get experience and references, and it can be fairly self-directed in some cases, so you can accomplish what you want. Most people here would tell you NOT to mention AS in an interview. You can mention your weaknesses (they'll usually ask that in an interview), but stating AS by name will probably confuse people more than it helps you.
Important question, though: What are you interested in doing?