Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2008, 9:11 pm

Hi, Went to a Sue Larky course the other day and just thought I'd pass on the biggest "pearl of wisdom" regarding behaviour at school. Sue said (apart from all the usual strategies) the main thing to make sure of is that your AS child is drinking the same amount and type of liquids during the day as they do on the weekend. She says most AS kids drink 3-4 litres a day (1-2 for NTs), and that they have easy access in the weekend, but they tend to stop drinking at school because it is not in their home routine. AS kids need hydration more than NTs because they move and stim a lot more than NT kids. She asked us to imagine surviving the day without a drink, and how that makes us feel as NTs (headahces etc.)- then transpose that into a child who has AS . . . and no wonder they meltdown. Always wondered why my AS son drank so much! Hope this is a helpful tip for you all out there. Has anyone else heard of this?

Kiera
Raven
Raven

03 Sep 2008, 12:56 am

i never really thought about it until i read this. my aspie drinks about 4 liters of water a day. every day. i've even called him Camel Boy.

never knew it was an aspie thing to do, i just chalked it up to general weirdness and was thankful that he likes drinking water.

thanks for the info :)

as for the school thing, we homeschool, so access to hydration hasnt been an issue... but i will definitely keep that in mind for his IEP when we decide to transition him back into mainstream schooling.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 1:00 am

I have never heard of this before. But it does make some sense I guess. Although I never thought that stimming would require that much energy.

More water couldnt hurt though.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 4:54 pm

The connections we never think to make, lol.

Yes, my son has always tended to drink a LOT more than other kids.

Really good suggestion to make sure that gets covered at school. While I always pack him lots of water, it never occurred to me to worry about it, that this was different from NT's.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 5:10 pm

I never really thought about that either but I tend to drink more and my son drinks more. Interesting...

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:00 pm

Interesting. I've actually thought maybe I should have my son checked for diabetes since he drinks so much. And I'll ask him "water, milk or juice" and he always says water, always.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 9:13 pm

I've always had an unuinchable thirst. My parents had me tested for diatabeties umteen times and it would always come back negetive. I would get anxious if I knew there would be no acess to water. I was constantaly getting in trouble at school because I spent too much time at the water fountians and was not allowed to bring a water bottle with me because I would drink it up in one sitting. I was told I drank too fast.

picklejah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2008, 9:50 pm

Wow. This is very interesting.
I never really paid attention to it.

I DO know that if my son has a lot of milk or dairy products, this can have an effect on his behavior.

And he DID ask me if he could take his large water bottle to school today so he didn't have to fill up his smaller one as often.

cool.

DylansMommy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Sep 2008, 9:59 am

Wow. The things we never think of. At a resteraunt for example, my son (AS) will drink 3-4 glasses of water to his sister's (NT) 1. When in public school he would repaetedly get in trouble for leaving class to go to the water fountain- they were not allowed to have water bottles in the classroom. I guess some things we just chalk up to quirkiness.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 6:34 pm

Wow! My son has always, always drunk loads - not water though, he says it makes him cough, but fruit juice and milky drinks. I've also had him tested a good few times for diabetes, so this is fascinating! He does stim a lot as well, he's a flapping, spinning boy!

Janie08
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2008, 10:23 pm

Never thought about this - thanks for the tip! I guess it's no wonder one of my son's first phrases was "drink please."

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2018, 4:03 pm

I don't normally necro-post but the world needs to see this.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 6:59 am

When I saw the thread title, I thought this thread was about alcohol. Oh well.

Anyway, I was a big water drinker as a child. My parents hated it, and limited my water drinking with the ruthlessness of Genghis Khan. They'd give me one glass of water, and no more than one glass, at meal times; they'd take away and pour out any water I didn't finish. If they saw me reach for water at any other times (we had a water cooler at home), they'd scream at me, slam their fist on the counter, and/or spank me. They also recruited extended family members to limit my water drinking too, and they complied. I coped by pretending to want to go to the bathroom, and gulping water straight out of the faucet.

I didn't drink much water at school, because I I was afraid to. I was worried that my teacher would see it and tell my parents, and I'd get in trouble at home. (She got me in trouble with my parents many times before, mainly over homework grades.) So I only did it when she wasn't looking, or I'd just drink tap water in the bathroom (I'm male). To add insult to the injury, my city water was poor quality. Nothing like Flint, MI, but it had an odd taste. My grandparents' house was on well water, which tasted even worse.

My parents stopped limiting my water drinking around the time I turned 10. I never understood why they did it, and I don't want to bring it up now. I figured it was just a power game on their part, with an easy pretext of "caring about my health". Me not giving them any grandchildren, effectively chopping off a part of the family tree, is a fair punishment on my part.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2018, 9:23 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
When I saw the thread title, I thought this thread was about alcohol. Oh well.

Anyway, I was a big water drinker as a child. My parents hated it, and limited my water drinking with the ruthlessness of Genghis Khan. They'd give me one glass of water, and no more than one glass, at meal times; they'd take away and pour out any water I didn't finish. If they saw me reach for water at any other times (we had a water cooler at home), they'd scream at me, slam their fist on the counter, and/or spank me. They also recruited extended family members to limit my water drinking too, and they complied. I coped by pretending to want to go to the bathroom, and gulping water straight out of the faucet.

I didn't drink much water at school, because I I was afraid to. I was worried that my teacher would see it and tell my parents, and I'd get in trouble at home. (She got me in trouble with my parents many times before, mainly over homework grades.) So I only did it when she wasn't looking, or I'd just drink tap water in the bathroom (I'm male). To add insult to the injury, my city water was poor quality. Nothing like Flint, MI, but it had an odd taste. My grandparents' house was on well water, which tasted even worse.

My parents stopped limiting my water drinking around the time I turned 10. I never understood why they did it, and I don't want to bring it up now. I figured it was just a power game on their part, with an easy pretext of "caring about my health". Me not giving them any grandchildren, effectively chopping off a part of the family tree, is a fair punishment on my part.

Jesus! That's crazy. Dam. well I hope you drink a gallon of water a day now.

Chelsie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2018, 10:05 pm

I'm not used to drinking but I heard that one should drink cold water alternatively when having an alcoholic drink to avoid getting too drunk.

Benfold
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2018, 9:50 pm

I have seen lots of guys drink. Me too. But I don't know follow any process or something like that. Will wait if someone tell me the secrets.