can someone do a paper on NTs instead?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:27 pm

It's not that I do not believe that those attempting to write papers on autism are wrong, but the more that is studied, the more it seems that society sees it as a disability...like we are a "disease" to be studied...

Why can't they do a paper on NTs? They could start out with...

1. they lie
2. they are superficial
3. they go with the flow instead of with their true beliefs...

etc, etc...

Just wondering...

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 11:33 pm

I'm actually working on an extended essay about NTs at the moment. I got the idea during an aerobics class I got stuck in...the movements were so cultlike.
It would be humor though. In reality most NTs are decent folk, like most Aspies. They just don't know what to do with us is all.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 1:02 am

whatamess wrote:

1. they lie
2. they are superficial

etc, etc...

Just wondering...

Read some sociology and human psychology books and the like-it helps explains all the weird-ass power plays and social nuances and the like. And cultural stuff....

EDIT: yeah; one of the things I remember is how lower-status males supposedly mimic the dress/speech/etc of their superiors to either 'respect' them subconsciously or to want to 'be' like them. There's a bunch of 'unwritten' BS that can be learned by reading/taking Sociology and Psychology classes...it can help.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 3:09 am

Warsie wrote:
whatamess wrote:

1. they lie
2. they are superficial

etc, etc...

Just wondering...

Read some sociology and human psychology books and the like-it helps explains all the weird-ass power plays and social nuances and the like. And cultural stuff....

EDIT: yeah; one of the things I remember is how lower-status males supposedly mimic the dress/speech/etc of their superiors to either 'respect' them subconsciously or to want to 'be' like them. There's a bunch of 'unwritten' BS that can be learned by reading/taking Sociology and Psychology classes...it can help.

Though if you wear EXACTLY the same thing as your superior wore the day before, you do run the risk of him thinking you're taking the p*ss.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 9:47 am

Ditto to what other people have said. Check out a sociology or social psychology textbook. There has actually been *way* more written on NT behavior than ASD behavior.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:33 am

whatamess wrote:
It's not that I do not believe that those attempting to write papers on autism are wrong, but the more that is studied, the more it seems that society sees it as a disability...like we are a "disease" to be studied...

1. they lie
2. they are superficial

etc, etc...

Just wondering...

and plenty of them are the one with the problem, not those who are under the spectrum (but remember, always an exception to everything)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:37 am

All of us could benefit from studying each other. Since we have the ability, might as well use our brains. Someone should write a book called "Aspie Psychology".

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:40 am

whatamess wrote:
1. they lie
2. they are superficial

etc, etc...

I do to, but I'm not non-autistic.

I think it should be:

- have varying levels of empathy that are not clinically impaired
- have varying levels of , again no clinical impairment in this area no matter cause
- have varying levels of the ability of self-organisation and ability of adaption for self and others in that area

etc.

Yes, it's true what others above said. This all this is actually written about a lot more than autism is written about. So many theories, models and all.

I learn from studying this, too.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 2:30 pm

Actually somebody already created articles and a "diagnostic criteria" for neurotypicals. It's hilarious. Check it out: http://isnt.autistics.org/

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 2:42 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
All of us could benefit from studying each other. Since we have the ability, might as well use our brains. Someone should write a book called "Aspie Psychology".

Yes, this is my dream to sometimes be able to write a book about Aspie psychology. I'm afraid I don't have enough answers yet to do it right. Despite having tested 1,330 questions in Aspie-quiz I don't think I have the whole truth. :x

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 2:55 pm

Amik wrote:
Actually somebody already created articles and a "diagnostic criteria" for neurotypicals. It's hilarious. Check it out: http://isnt.autistics.org/

I remember reading that.

Quote:
Neurotypical syndrome is a neurobiological disorder characterized by preoccupation with social concerns, delusions of superiority, and obsession with conformity.

Neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one, or the only correct one. NTs find it difficult to be alone. NTs are often intolerant of seemingly minor differences in others. When in groups NTs are socially and behaviorally rigid, and frequently insist upon the performance of dysfunctional, destructive, and even impossible rituals as a way of maintaining group identity. NTs find it difficult to communicate directly, and have a much higher incidence of lying as compared to persons on the autistic spectrum.

NT is believed to be genetic in origin. Autopsies have shown the brain of the neurotypical is typically smaller than that of an autistic individual and may have overdeveloped areas related to social behavior.

lol

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 3:00 pm

Amik wrote:

Clever!

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 4:42 am

Sociopaths are high functioning NT's. :?:

-Pythagoras

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 12:30 pm

Magnus wrote:
Sociopaths are high functioning NT's. :?:

In what way? They lack empathy, and exhibit many maladaptive behaviors. Lack of empathy is supposed an *autistic* trait. In fact, there are several behavioral traits they share with autism (although I doubt the neurological reasons for those behaviors are similar).

darkwhispersdale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2008, 12:43 pm

I like that site.

Magique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2008, 1:15 pm

I am not sure that thinking NT vs AS is such a good idea. AS is a set of neurological differences that explain why it is difficult to do some things that are expected and make it more difficult for me to fit into the world. That's about it. It's not a case of NT = bad vs AS = good. There are NT folks who are interested in the same kinds of topics that interest me, and others who don't have a clue. Ditto with AS folks. I'd love to get to know some of the AS folk here (some of the NTs too). Others I wouldn't like.

Books about aspie psychology generally disguise themselves as "Jungian psychology", Eastern religions, or other mystic practices. It is entirely possible that aspies find these easier than do NTs. Some are disguised as science fiction.