Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Grimm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Sep 2008, 9:49 pm

Christian values and christian institutions are very different. The goal of nearly any institution with real power or influence is to freeze time. They do there best to ret*d independant thought, enforce conformity and generally act omnipotently.

I was raised catholic and am largely atheist/agnostic. The judeo-christian values got through though, and I'm glad because they're good values IMHO. Its just sad to see so many profess to believe them while doing largely the opposite.

I think that the fact that the papacy still refuses to endorse any form of birth control besides apstinence is a crime against humanity. If Jesus could see what became of his following he'd surely weep.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 11:10 pm

Grimm wrote:
If Jesus could see what became of his following he'd surely weep.

or pick up his whip

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2008, 11:29 pm

Loborojo wrote:
Grimm wrote:

or pick up his whip

Yeah, no offense, I really don't think you get what Christianity is all about...

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 12:18 am

Grimm wrote:
Christian values and christian institutions are very different. The goal of nearly any institution with real power or influence is to freeze time. They do there best to ret*d independant thought, enforce conformity and generally act omnipotently.

As the Reverend Peter J. Gomes said, "So much for the missionary position"
link

Quote:
I was raised catholic and am largely atheist/agnostic. The judeo-christian values got through though, and I'm glad because they're good values IMHO. Its just sad to see so many profess to believe them while doing largely the opposite.

I have to agree with you on that. I was raised presbyterian (still practicing), and many people at the church I go to do practice the faith, as opposed to just professing it. There are religious organizations of all the major Abrahamic religions out there that still follow Abrahamic teachings (and the specific teachings for their religion), but most of them fly beneath the radar. After all, Jesus did say to not profess your faith before man for the explicit purpose of being seen practicing your faith.

Quote:
I think that the fact that the papacy still refuses to endorse any form of birth control besides apstinence is a crime against humanity. If Jesus could see what became of his following he'd surely weep.

Not so much a crime against humanity. I think Jesus would be weeping over some of the Roman Catholic Church's other offenses in the past, like the persecution of Galileo, the religious wars that surrounded the Protestant Reformation and the atrocities committed by both sides, the conquest of Mexico by Hernan Cortes, the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades... the list goes on.

Too many heinous activities have been committed in the name of the Lord (in whatever name He takes in the religion) throughout time, and that's what sickens me more than anything else related to religion...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:15 pm

Loborojo wrote:
Grimm wrote:

or pick up his whip

No.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:17 pm

Anyone else here want to beat the living shit out of Jesus? I sure do.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:19 pm

chever wrote:

I know you do. Don't worry, precious, you'll get your chance.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:01 pm

slowmutant wrote:
chever wrote:

I know you do. Don't worry, precious, you'll get your chance.

Don't be offended. He could be talking about one of thousands of Mexican guys.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:08 pm

No, I think he was referring to Jesus of Nazareth, Prince of Peace, Redeemer, etc.

There's always a few psychopaths on any Internet message board.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:12 pm

slowmutant wrote:
No, I think he was referring to Jesus of Nazareth, Prince of Peace, Redeemer, etc.

There's always a few psychopaths on any Internet message board.

Having talked to Chever a few times myself, I can assert that he's actually extremely intelligent and logical.

Considering that he seems to have a leg up on everyone, if he's a psychopath, I would very much like to be one too.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:14 pm

I do not share your admiration for chever. Some of the things he says remind of Patrick Bateman's character in American Psycho.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:18 pm

slowmutant wrote:
I do not share your admiration for chever. Some of the things he says remind of Patrick Bateman's character in American Psycho.

lol. Except instead of raping and murdering, he proves differential equations and programs fractal patterns.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:22 pm

Anyone who expresses a desire to beat the sh*t out of Jesus ... 8O :?: :!:

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:23 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Anyone who expresses a desire to beat the sh*t out of Jesus ... 8O :?: :!:

I have vocally expressed a desire to kill my dog, my cat, my brother, and the kid who talks loudly behind me in calculus class on multiple occasions and have yet to do it. Most likely, it was because I said such things out of jest.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:29 pm

Regardless, it's a horrible thing to say. A rationalist wouldn't ordinarily make statements like that. You know, a rationalist?

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:36 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Regardless, it's a horrible thing to say. A rationalist wouldn't ordinarily make statements like that. You know, a rationalist?

People would probably be a lot less willing to make jokes about Christianity if you wouldn't feed their amusement each and every time by taking it to heart.