Religious people and thei gods have no standard for truth...

Page 8 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Sling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2008, 7:55 am

slowmutant wrote:
Faith is a belief in the invisible and/or the unprovable. If I could prove my religious beliefs like a mathematician proves a formula, my beliefs would not be beliefs at all. They'd be direct knowledge, which is the opposite of faith.
What's you point? Belief in God will always be made out of faith just like belief there is no God will always be made out of faith.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 8:41 am

Sling wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Faith is a belief in the invisible and/or the unprovable. If I could prove my religious beliefs like a mathematician proves a formula, my beliefs would not be beliefs at all. They'd be direct knowledge, which is the opposite of faith.
What's you point? Belief in God will always be made out of faith just like belief there is no God will always be made out of faith.

I just wanted to say it.

Sling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2008, 10:52 am

Oh. Okay. I thought you had a point or something.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 12:22 pm

Sling wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Just like disbelief in The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Zeus and Apollo is made out of faith. Correct?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 6:50 pm

slowmutant wrote:
At some point there was a Beginning. But how does life come from non-life? Does a patch of gravel have the capacity for life?

Good question. I don't know the answer.

sling wrote:
Current estimates suggest that as many as 200 different proteins are necessary for life. Each of these proteins requires a specific sequence of amino acids in order to function. One calculation that has been verified experimentally, shows that a 100 amino acid protein requires a specificity of sequence that has only a 1 in 10 to the 65th power probability of occurring by chance alone. This even allowed for most amino acids to be substituted by similar amino acids in the sequence. So one not only has to manufacture one protein but hundreds, and then bring them together in a membrane like structure, in order for life to take hold.

The "irreducible complexity" argument isn't really taken all that seriously, if that's what you're hinting at here. The current scientific hypothesis is that the first organisms didn't have proteins at all- the discovery of ribozymes (RNA sequences that can act similarly to enzymes) meant that the original life forms could easily have existed simply as sequences of self-replicating nucleic acid within some type of membrane.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 10:03 am

Man's first Mistake :

On the first day, God created the dog and said:

'Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years.'

The dog said: 'That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?'

So God agreed.

On the second day, God created the monkey and said:

'Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span.'

The monkey said: 'Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the Dog did?'

And God agreed.

On the third day, God created the cow and said:

'You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty years.'

The cow said: 'That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?'

And God agreed again

On the fourth day, God created man and said:

'Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years.'

But man said: 'Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the ten the monkey gave back, and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?'

'Okay,' said God, 'You asked for it.'

So that is why for our first twenty years we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves. For the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren. And for the last ten years we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.

Life has now been explained to you.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information. I'm doing it as a public service.