Religious people and thei gods have no standard for truth...

Page 6 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 9:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Orwell wrote:
greenblue wrote:
"What is Truth?" - Pontius Pilate.

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

Freedom is slavery.

Being shackled in a hut and forced to work the fields, building pyramids, or powering Roman utilities is slavery.

Contrary to popular belief, teh Pyramids were not built with slave labor.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 9:58 pm

ZakFiend wrote:
... how does a religious perosn determine which god is right? How would you know if you weren't deceiving yourself? since all truth is derived from the world itself and any untruth must be compared against some standard. It seems to me, to be religious you go off into relativistic never never land and never return.

Thats because Religion really isnt about Truth. Its about faith on a personal level, and manipulating human behaviour on a societal level. :wink:

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 10:00 pm

I wish Ghandi were here, so I could hug him... im so tired of the debating.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 10:10 pm

ShawnWilliam wrote:

Maybe you should go hunt down the "free hugs guy." He might even donate a vital organ to you. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt77890.html

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 10:14 pm

Just make up a religion,
Like love of Jebus and such.
Find a messiah or anointed one, exalt him and then kill him
Then zombie Jebus will fix everything.

Problem solved!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:05 am

Haliphron wrote:
ZakFiend wrote:
... how does a religious perosn determine which god is right? How would you know if you weren't deceiving yourself? since all truth is derived from the world itself and any untruth must be compared against some standard. It seems to me, to be religious you go off into relativistic never never land and never return.

Thats because Religion really isnt about Truth. Its about faith on a personal level, and manipulating human behaviour on a societal level. :wink:

It seems more likely that religion is all about manipulating a person's faith in order to obtain the desired behaviour from that person.

"The Lord loveth a cheerful giver; so the more you give, the happier you'll be!"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:31 am

"Nothing is true, and everything is permitted."

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 2:29 pm

Orwell wrote:
ShawnWilliam wrote:

Maybe you should go hunt down the "free hugs guy." He might even donate a vital organ to you. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt77890.html

lol... but I think he prefers hugs from the ladiess..

unless I dress up like a penguin?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 1:03 pm

Religious people and thei gods have no standard for truth...

And you do?

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 1:08 pm

And I must repeat.

Truth is relative to the person being addressed.

Weather it's sheeple, zombie Jesus, Jebus, or whomever!

Just relax, and take what you want to be the truth as the truth.

And be happy, or at least content.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 4:13 pm

I would say EVERYone is religious, unless they choose to think for themselves.. most people in society are controlled via their thoughts.. you're either a christian, an atheist, an agnostic, a satanist, a muslim, an evolutionist, a green peace activist, a scientist, a doctor, an ordinary worker, etc.. what about avoiding all of this secondary bottom of society BS?.. everyone is guilty including me.. the real issue is why are we being controlled to believe in a society that is only here to make slaves of us?!..

It's not that christians don't have any standard for truth, it's that NObody does, because we don't realize that in order to have standard for truth, we must think for ourselves..

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 5:33 pm

ShawnWilliam wrote:
I would say EVERYone is religious, unless they choose to think for themselves.. most people in society are controlled via their thoughts.. you're either a christian, an atheist, an agnostic, a satanist, a muslim, an evolutionist, a green peace activist, a scientist, a doctor, an ordinary worker, etc.. what about avoiding all of this secondary bottom of society BS?.. everyone is guilty including me.. the real issue is why are we being controlled to believe in a society that is only here to make slaves of us?!..

It's not that christians don't have any standard for truth, it's that NObody does, because we don't realize that in order to have standard for truth, we must think for ourselves..

I base every single one of my beliefs off of evidence and facts, to me that's the truth, and it's led me to being the proud Atheist that I am.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 6:05 pm

z0rp wrote:
I base every single one of my beliefs off of evidence and facts, to me that's the truth, and it's led me to being the proud Atheist that I am.

Anyone who makes such a statement as you just did is either a terribly bad liar or has delusions of grandeur.

You do not base every single one of your beliefs off of evidence and facts. No one in the world has ever done so, or ever will. You take a great many things on faith because it is both impossible and unnecessary to reinvent the wheel for everything all on your own.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 6:11 pm

Thanks Orwel for stating the painfully obvious.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 8:41 pm

Orwell wrote:
z0rp wrote:

Anyone who makes such a statement as you just did is either a terribly bad liar or has delusions of grandeur.

You do not base every single one of your beliefs off of evidence and facts. No one in the world has ever done so, or ever will. You take a great many things on faith because it is both impossible and unnecessary to reinvent the wheel for everything all on your own.

Yes, precisely... one must not trust one source for their evidence, especially ones of authority.. ever since the beginning of civilization it's been that way.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 10:30 pm

Orwell wrote:
z0rp wrote:

How is that so? I simply don't believe anything that I feel isn't supported or proven enough to be believed.