Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What is your favorite decade for music?
'70s (Led Zeppilin, Pink Floyd, Disco, Elton John) 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
'80s (Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, Hair Metal) 33%  33%  [ 8 ]
'90s (The rise of Seattle rock, Janet Jackson, Garth Brooks, East Coast-West Coast rap) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
'00s (Green Day, Nickelback, Linkin Park, etc.) 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
Other ('50s-Elvis Presley, '60s Beatles-Motown, pre '50s Frank Sintara-Jazz-Blues) 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24

JML101582
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 1:02 am

Which is your favorite music from one decade?

I was going to go for the '90s since I spent the rest of the my childhood and teenage years in that decade, but I am just going to go for the '80s as my favorite because the songs are catchier and there is more to love with music as it had many music genres to offer. Plus, it had the ultimate pop trifecta with Madonna, Prince, and Michael Jackson when they were in their prime of their musicial careers.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 3:01 am

Er... I said the 00s because most of the music I own and enjoy is from that period. But I don't know most of the artists listed in the poll.

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2008, 5:50 am

I went for the 1970s, largely because Zep and Floyd are mentioned, and those two bands had such a huge effect n the way I listened to and played music. That, and Sabbath.

Although equally, The 2000s music has been the decade when I really got into music, so I suppose if I could vote twice, I'd vote for this decade.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:46 am

18th & 19th century. Do you think anybody will be listening to late 20th century music 100 years from now?

- Emerson

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:56 am

I'm gonna go ahead and vote for the 80s because I like what you mention there more than the other decades. I don't really have any particular preference for any decade, except rock music mostly took until around 1966 or 1967 to become more LP-oriented which suits my listening habits better.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:10 pm

The 1920s. There was a wide variety of great, lively music on the soundscape during that decade.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 6:16 pm

MrMark wrote:
18th & 19th century. Do you think anybody will be listening to late 20th century music 100 years from now?

Yeah, possibly you're just listening to the wrong 20th century music?

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 4:47 pm

Based on my list of favourite albums, the 2000s, 1990s in second place.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 5:52 pm

Musical taste "defines personality" (Reuters)

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - Fans of classical music and jazz are creative, pop lovers are hardworking and, despite the stereotypes, heavy metal listeners are gentle, creative types who are at ease with themselves.
The study concluded that jazz and classical music fans are creative with good self-esteem, although the former are much more outgoing whereas the latter are shy.

Country and western fans were found to be hardworking and shy; rap fans are outgoing and indie lovers lack self-esteem and are not very gentle.

Those who like soul music can take heart as the research concluded they are creative, outgoing, gentle, at ease with themselves and have a high self-esteem.

more...

- Emerson

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 8:11 pm

That's a very interesting article.

Anyway...2000's. An old sound bothers me, what can I say? Here are some of my uttermost favorite albums:

Evanescence - "The Open Door"
Marilyn Manson - "HolyWood"
Dimmu Borgir - "Death Cult Armageddon"
Orgy - "Vapor Transmission"
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - "Of Natural History"
Elend - "A World In Their Screams"
A Perfect Circle - "Thirteenth Step"
Zeromancer - "Eurotrash"
Nightwish - "Once"
Dark Sanctuary - "Les Mémoires Blessées"
Deftones - "White Pony"
H.I.M. - "Uneasy Listening, Vol. 1"
Mushroomhead - "XX"
SlipKnot - "Vol. 3: (The Subliminal verses)"

They're all from the 2000's.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 10:07 pm

MrMark wrote:
Musical taste "defines personality" (Reuters)

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - Fans of classical music and jazz are creative,
-snip-

That almost makes sense. I like some types of jazz, and classical on occasion, and am a creative person (in that I play music, although not any type of jazz). The problem I'm having with the researcher's conclusion is, uh, Jazz is a very broad genre. Grouping all types of jazz together would be like grouping "alternative", "hard-rock" and "punk" into "rock". Those are subcategories of "Rock". "Jazz" has it's own subcategories that make it at least as varied than "Rock". There are some types of jazz that I love while some of the other kinds bore me.

Looking at the quiz myself, right now, I see that there are only music categories one would find in mall record stores. More of the music I like is not represented by any of those categories than are. There are also a lot of personal questions that I don't have an answer for. I guess people like me haven't been taken into account, with this so-called "research".

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 12:12 am

The 80's are the most memorable, but the 70's are a close second.

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2008, 2:14 am

I said the 70's due to the choices you have listed. For me, I like some jazz, classical, and blues from early eras, but I'm mostly a rocker. So I dig some 60's, a lot of 70's, especially the British stuff, and then the 80's was a great time for Thrash, and the 90's had grunge along with bands like Pantera, White Zombie, Tool, and Rage Against the Machine. Now we have all kinds of great underground music.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 11:31 am

Most of my favourite bands had their peak or formation in either the late seventies or the eighties. I am a big Echo & The Bunnymen and Smiths fan, also love bands such as Bauhaus, U2, Siouxsie & The Banshees, ...

In that time my favourite styles of music (gothic and new wave) developped, but also many other styles of music developed such as hiphop, electronical music, ... Sometimes with an added subcultural movement, sometimes without. But the new styles emerged, bands that made music that was never done before and that didnt sound like a band from the past. Something never done before emerging and the exciting feeling of being a part of that, that is a feeling that I miss now and that I fear will never come back because everything seems to be done, we explored pretty much the boundaries of music. Even pop music was still catchy and good in the eighties, but most of all the seventies and eighties to me represent new music styles developping, seeing something totally new and how it affects society, and the excitement of being part of all of it.

The music since the new millennium is my least favourite era. Too much dance and RnB, some extremely annoying trends of dance covers of formerly good songs, and all good bands that emerge still sound like they recycle older bands. Maybe we just have had everything and explored the limits of music, you cannot keep on creating new types of music all the time because sooner or later it has all been done. That is the feeling I got now, the term recyclement pretty much sums up my feelings about modern day music. other than Muse and A Perfect Circle I cannot think of any band I really like who emerged the last 10 years and where I have no feeling of listening to a replica of an older band (OK, Muse are older than 10 years but the demo days I count out as they rose to stardom in the last 10 years)

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 7:59 pm

1950s and 1960s

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 8:05 pm

Other: Big Band/Swing; Doo-Wop; Motown; Celtic (Contemporary and Traditional); Classical; Baroque; American Blues, Folk, and Jazz.

That's about it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.