Total votes : 111

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2008, 3:15 am

Hi
I was looking on this website about bullying:
http://www.smelena.com/article_bullying.php

Over 90% of children with AS experience being bullied daily.

AS Responses to Bullying

* Children with AS may have a blank facial expression, so the person taunting them does not realize how upset the child with AS is getting, until the child with AS lashes out. YEP that was me!
* A person with AS may try to ignore the bully. Then one day the child with AS cannot take it anymore and they will lash out.ME
* Neurotypical children will defend themselves. For example, if the teacher says, ‘Did you punch Freddie’, the neurotypical child will say, ‘Yes, but he's been calling me names all day and he stole my lunch money etc etc’ Never did that
* A child with AS will not defend themselves. For example, if the teacher says, ‘Did you punch Freddie, the child with AS will say ‘Yes’ and nothing more. They will be punished even though Freddie may have been physically and emotionally taunting them for days/weeks/months. Oh yes, then after that, i got bullied more!

Tony Attwood reported females with AS may be better off at single sex schools because they are vulnerable to boys and more likely than neurotypical girls to experience sexual abuse/date-rape. YES I CANNOT AGREE MORE!#

Why Are Children With AS More Likely to be Targeted?

* They are naive, trusting and eager to be part of a group ME
* Physically weaker
* Show signs of anxiety ME
* Low self-esteem ME
* Insecure, shy ME
* Engage in solitary pursuits (predators are more likely to target those who are alone) ME
* Not successful at sports LOOOL DEFINITLY ME
* No extensive network of friends Me
* Less likely to retaliate with anger
* Less likely to be supported by peers. ME
* Poor social skills. May be perceived as intrusive and irritating by peers and adults
* Socially clumsy, attention seeking or dominating ME
* Child with AS doesn't recognize when to stop. ME
* Child with AS may be perceived as eccentric, not ‘cool’ ME
* Not good at characterization skills (eg People with AS cannot judge whether someone is of good character, or a predator). ME

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·.`.~*

Being me is great!

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 3:27 am

some of those characteristics of targeted people apply to me.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 3:29 am

:) all of them are ME.

there were two boys regularly bullied in my class. i was one of them, but once i fought back and although i had got beaten, they turned more to the other boy, because he was easier to get.

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2008, 3:35 am

I fight back once and i regret it, because I was send to the head master, i was on detention for weeks, my mum was called, and the bullying didnt stop (i was 12)

Oh, another time, people wanted to take my place in the playground (i was alway sitting on a step with a friend). My friend said something like "my dog will bite you". So i start to run aftr them, bite a girl s thumb, i broke it, and it was bleeding. Of course after that, the headmaster had a good idea... make me go in every class and say "i am crazy and dangerous, so dont play with me"
(i was 8 )

Being me is great!

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 4:01 am

I got bullied a lot but I did retaliate ones I went into a meltdown it became a dangerous situation. When I was in school I would have such bad meltdowns because of being bullied I would hurt people I wanted them to make them suffer the way they made me suffer, I tore classroom to pieces it looked like a tornado had hit, I cussed in such a way to make them suffer. As I got older the meltdowns got less severe however they didn't go away. I mean how could I was bullied but the bullies never got punished they got away with it and when I retaliated they treated me like a monster a horrible monster.

I remember one time I saw someone getting picked on it pissed me off so much I bloodied about five or six noses and got suspended. The principle actually told me he had never been so proud of me but that he had no choice but to suspend me. That is when I gave up on relying on the teachers and school staff that's when depression set in and suicidal thoughts crept into my mind and a deep seeded malice gripped my heart.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 4:16 am

Yes I was. It was because of a combination of factors. I acted strange, I didn't talk hardly at all, I was inconsistent in standing up for myself, hardly ever doing so. When I did talk back I had a bad habit of doing smart-ass things that would get under their skin and make them escalate it beyond what I could handle. I would generally take it and not retaliate, so I was an easy target.

I added my rundown of the list.

* They are naive, trusting and eager to be part of a group -No
* Physically weaker -No was quite a bit stronger than most actually
* Show signs of anxiety -YES
* Low self-esteem -YES
* Insecure, shy -YES
* Engage in solitary pursuits (predators are more likely to target those who are alone) -YES
* Not successful at sports -Was not interested in them
* No extensive network of friends - I had no friends
* Less likely to retaliate with anger-YES
* Less likely to be supported by peers. -YES
* Poor social skills. May be perceived as intrusive and irritating by peers and adults-YES
* Socially clumsy, attention seeking or dominating -Clumsy but not the other two
* Child with AS doesn't recognize when to stop. -Was sometimes a problem
* Child with AS may be perceived as eccentric, not ‘cool’ -Very much the case
* Not good at characterization skills (eg People with AS cannot judge whether someone is of good character, or a predator). -YES though I started to figure this out somewhat

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2008, 4:58 am

I suffered badly. i could never hit or fight back - as if areas of my mind were blank. At age fifty I still have a lot of anger over that. Now I've got to watch I don't attack anyone. Loneliness for me is being among other people, then it hurts. trick cyclists are useless.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 5:22 am

i lashed em out so badly they fear me even this day :twisted:

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 6:16 am

Most of my schooldays were a misery of endless bullying and at some time or other all those point could have applied to me.

Helen is a lovely person and does understand these problems well :)

At my secondary school the standard punishment for bullying was for the bully to pay the victim 6d (old pence) for sweets in a very short time one term I had more money than I knew what to do with this made me more of a victim because the bullies would want protection money and resented me even more because I had there pocket money so more bullying - it did not work and the bullying eventually eased off when I was about 16½ and one of the biggest in the school.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 6:44 am

ghouna wrote:
Hi
I was looking on this website about bullying:
http://www.smelena.com/article_bullying.php

Over 90% of children with AS experience being bullied daily.

AS Responses to Bullying

* Children with AS may have a blank facial expression, so the person taunting them does not realize how upset the child with AS is getting, until the child with AS lashes out. YEP that was me!

Some CLAIMED I was like that, but I don't believe it.

ghouna wrote:
* A person with AS may try to ignore the bully. Then one day the child with AS cannot take it anymore and they will lash out.ME

Kind of.

ghouna wrote:
* Neurotypical children will defend themselves. For example, if the teacher says, ‘Did you punch Freddie’, the neurotypical child will say, ‘Yes, but he's been calling me names all day and he stole my lunch money etc etc’ Never did that
* A child with AS will not defend themselves. For example, if the teacher says, ‘Did you punch Freddie, the child with AS will say ‘Yes’ and nothing more. They will be punished even though Freddie may have been physically and emotionally taunting them for days/weeks/months. Oh yes, then after that, i got bullied more!

Sometimes, but most of the time, THEY KNEW

ghouna wrote:
Tony Attwood reported females with AS may be better off at single sex schools because they are vulnerable to boys and more likely than neurotypical girls to experience sexual abuse/date-rape. YES I CANNOT AGREE MORE!#

Gee, I'm sure NT girls would disagree.

ghouna wrote:
Why Are Children With AS More Likely to be Targeted?

* They are naive, trusting and eager to be part of a group ME

Doesn't make sense

ghouna wrote:
* Physically weaker

I started out STRONGER, but didn't act like it. One bully ended up hearing that he and I had the same build and he was SHOCKED! He started leaving me alone.

ghouna wrote:
* Show signs of anxiety ME
* Low self-esteem ME

Not I!

ghouna wrote:
* Insecure, shy ME

I wasn't insecure!

ghouna wrote:
* Engage in solitary pursuits (predators are more likely to target those who are alone) ME
* Not successful at sports LOOOL DEFINITLY ME
* No extensive network of friends Me
* Less likely to retaliate with anger
* Less likely to be supported by peers. ME
* Poor social skills. May be perceived as intrusive and irritating by peers and adults
* Socially clumsy, attention seeking or dominating ME

I was all of those, but NOT attention seeking and usually not irritating.

ghouna wrote:
* Child with AS doesn't recognize when to stop. ME

In some cases that was me!

ghouna wrote:
* Child with AS may be perceived as eccentric, not ‘cool’ ME

ME!

ghouna wrote:
* Not good at characterization skills (eg People with AS cannot judge whether someone is of good character, or a predator). ME

Well, some NT people have the same problem. I might know be better at that than most.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 6:47 am

Bullied BIG time, I only just survived and possibly still recovering!

Namenick
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Sep 2008, 7:00 am

Yes. Elementary/Middle school were some of the worst years of my life. I remembered that I had one particular bully that picked on me from Grade 5 to 6. When he left the school I was overjoyed. But that didn't last long. A new student in Grade 7 started picking one me. He didn't come back for Grade 8, but someone else took his place. I thought to myself, "How the hell am I attracting these people?"

* They are naive, trusting and eager to be part of a group YES
* Physically weaker MOSTLY YES
* Show signs of anxiety YES
* Low self-esteem YES
* Insecure, shy YES
* Engage in solitary pursuits (predators are more likely to target those who are alone) YES (If with someone else, they're picked on as well)
* Not successful at sports YES (I was always picked last)
* No extensive network of friends YES (Rarely spoke to other kids outside of school)
* Less likely to retaliate with anger YES (Two fights. Each that were long overdue)
* Less likely to be supported by peers. YES (Though there were a few who would defend me in several cases)
* Poor social skills. May be perceived as intrusive and irritating by peers and adults YES
* Socially clumsy, attention seeking or dominating YES/NO/NO
* Child with AS doesn't recognize when to stop. NOT REALLY
* Child with AS may be perceived as eccentric, not ‘cool’ YES
* Not good at characterization skills (eg People with AS cannot judge whether someone is of good character, or a predator). YES

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2008, 7:09 am

Namenick wrote:
"How the hell am I attracting these people?"

I thought for a long time that i was meant to be bullied. I changed school (not because of that) and it started again!! even now as an adult, i can get bullied...

Being me is great!

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 7:22 am

Bullying was a daily aspect of my life. In primary and middle school, it was all petty stuff, name calling, teasing, making fun of me for not having the 'right' clothes. When I got to high school it became physical and I recieved daily slaps to my head, kicks in my shins and was pressed against walls. One bully even tried to set me on fire but I turned round in time to spot what he was doing. I could have died or become seriously disfigured. Presumably most of you had the same sort of problem where you tell the teachers the first 6 times then when you realise that they dont give a ^*&$ you give up trying to tell on the bullies. That's what I did. Aged 20 now, I will stick up for myself and even call the police if it gets out of hand.

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2008, 7:27 am

Once we were in the classroom, studying a painting with a very old lady on it.
The bully shouted "look it is ghouna!"
And everybody was laughing. I wasn t
The teacher told me "it is you today, tomorrow, it will be somebody else"

A girl told her "but it is always ghouna"

And the teacher just smiled at me.

I dont know what she meant with her smile, but i know she didnt help me... They dont care

Being me is great!

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 7:53 am

I recall being goaded into doing things bullies told me to do. In first grade, the class bully convinced me to pick up a dead rat on the playground. Wouldn't you know, I got the brunt of the teacher's anger at doing that??? :evil: