Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 7:51 am

Hi everyone. Next Tuesday I will be doing a presentation about living with Autism/Aspergers/Tourettes and OCD (yeah, I am a right mixture!). I think I know quite a lot about this but I would like a few people on this site to define what they think autism does for them. I need both positive and negetive aspects of having the condition. I am telling the teachers how to deal with people like us so I need more people to help me because I am only one Aspie!

ViatorRose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2008, 10:15 am

Jellybean wrote:
Hi everyone. Next Tuesday I will be doing a presentation about living with Autism/Aspergers/Tourettes and OCD (yeah, I am a right mixture!). I think I know quite a lot about this but I would like a few people on this site to define what they think autism does for them. I need both positive and negetive aspects of having the condition. I am telling the teachers how to deal with people like us so I need more people to help me because I am only one Aspie!

I would like to wish you the best of luck with your presentation. I could never stand before people and speak, or even present anything signed, visual or prerecorded. It can be difficult when you are singled out and somehow become spokesperson for people like you, even regarding a condition as diverse as autism.

Thankyou for doing this on behalf of those of us who can not :-).

It might be an idea to post a mini report on how it went, to give feedback to anyone who posts information and opinions for you to refer to in your presentation.

It might even be of educational interest to us how your teachers receive and interpret what you have to say.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 10:17 am

Wow kudos to you, thats great. I am not sure if I could have the guts to do that but maybe one day. I can certainly share with you some things about myself. I'll be sending you a PM, probably over the weekend sometime.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 11:08 am

That's pretty inspiring to a person like me. I want to be able to speak in front of a bunch of people one day. That takes courage even for NT's

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 11:44 am

Best wishes with giving your presentation! You might find that being an expert on the subject matter may not be as nerve-racking as giving a book report. 8)

Benefits of being an Aspie:
-generally not having the predisposition to play mind games
-ability for extreme focus on an area of interest
-[in my experience] looking back at relatives who may also share a place on the spectrum, I hold much less contempt for them if they said or did things that seemed outright mean at the time

Drawbacks:
-we have a tendency for perfectionism and sometimes we can't shake past mistakes/transgressions of ourselves or others
-loud or 'busy' classroom environments draw our attention away from the task at hand, let alone being able to concentrate
-deficits in executive function or in listening to instruction makes completion of the task more difficult; written instructions to follow in sequence might be more helpful
-unannounced changes to the daily schedule might stress us out