Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 5:02 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
eikonabridge wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
There have been prominent writers who were doubtlessly on the spectrum, such as H.P. Lovecraft, Franz Kafka, James Elroy, Robert E. Howard, Thomas Ligotti, etc. So yes, those on the Spectrum have made their mark on the arts.

I'd be more careful. After I have researched more into bipolarity recently, things have become more clear to me. Many cases that I used to think were ASD, have turned out to be bipolar.

For instance, if you look into H.P. Lovecraft's life, you'll find:http://thingsyoushouldknowbynow.tumblr.com/post/52802348304/hp-lovecraft
... Born August 20, 1890 in Providence, Rhode Island to Sarah and Winfield Lovecraft,...
... Sarah began to fall more into madness herself, and in 1919, she was committed to the same institution that her husband had died in. Her diagnosis was hysteria and depression, probably more Bipolar Disorder or Manic Depression, as “hysteria” is not an actual condition, but was considered to be so at the time.

For Robert E. Howard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2MwAy6njlM, in a comment by "spiritscar":
...Robert E Howard was a bipolar manic depressive who committed suicide at the age of 30. Some of you feel this performance is over the top. Bipolar manic depressives behavior is exactly that, over the top. If their behavior wasn't abnormal, well they wouldn't have a problem would they?...

For Thomas Ligotti: http://www.teemingbrain.com/interview-with-thomas-ligotti/
TL: This is going to be a boring response because I haven’t anything writerly to say about this matter...
... These themes just naturally come to the fore when I’m experiencing some especially intense or unpleasant episode in my life. Pain is my muse, so to speak. By 2001, my psychological status was that of bipolar depression. In 2002, my depression let up for a month, and I went into a hypomanic phase.

So, no, your examples likely fall on the side of bipolarity, not autism spectrum. Yes, I know, there are people that have both. But major depression (to the point of committing suicide) plus artistry, usually lands you on the bipolar side. Like ASD, bipolarity is heavy on genetic component.

I can attest personally that depression and anxiety accompanies autism. I don't doubt co-morbidity of bipolar manic depression with autism with these individuals, but I have no doubt that autism was a factor in those authors in question who have since passed away, and with those who are still with us.
Also, Actress Daryl Hannah is on the autistic spectrum, as are Crispin Glover, and Vincent D'Onofrio. Autistics have made their mark on the arts.

I'm autistic, and I'm much better at art than I am math/science.

I'm a published writer, but I couldn't do a higher math equation to save my life.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 1:31 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm a published writer, but I couldn't do a higher math equation to save my life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_bipolar_disorder Easily 41 writers/song writers/screen writers there.

Sure, there are autistic politicians (e.g. the mayor of Taipei), or bipolar scientists (e.g. Ludwig Boltmann). There are autistic/bipolar/schizophrenic people probably in every single profession. But when you do clustering analysis a la machine learning (which is basically stereotyping), you can't say there is strong correlation between writers and autism.

You don't see in the news autistic people committing suicide that often. But bipolar artists committing suicide is a dime a dozen. (I'll talk about bipolar and modulation in the future.)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 1:56 am

eikonabridge wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_bipolar_disorder Easily 41 writers/song writers/screen writers there.

Sure, there are autistic politicians (e.g. the mayor of Taipei), or bipolar scientists (e.g. Ludwig Boltmann). There are autistic/bipolar/schizophrenic people probably in every single profession. But when you do clustering analysis a la machine learning (which is basically stereotyping), you can't say there is strong correlation between writers and autism.

You don't see in the news autistic people committing suicide that often. But bipolar artists committing suicide is a dime a dozen. (I'll talk about bipolar and modulation in the future.)

I figure people in the arts belong to a wide range of conditions, ranging from autism, to schizophrenia, to manic depression, etc.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 7:57 am

eikonabridge wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

And?

I'm autistic and I'm better at art than math/science.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 9:17 am

eikonabridge wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I don't get the pride concept. Not that I'm against others feeling that way. But to me it's like being proud that my hair is a certain color or that I'm a certain height. I'm proud of stuff I accomplish.

Proud to be bipolar: https://djbooth.net/features/2018-06-04-kanye-west-bipolar-disorder-superpower
Proud to be gay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_pride
Proud to be American: https://youtu.be/ox4IRQVGsBU

I guess the common theme is that there are prejudices/stigma/perceived injustice out there (that's true even for, say, hate groups, white supremacists, etc.). So, people grab an identity. It's always a bit of us-vs-them. In absence of a "them," people wouldn't feel a need to be proud of an identity. No one would say: "I am proud to be a human," because, who are you going to brag that to?

Things like pride and envy et al don't register much with me on a personal level.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 9:18 am

It's sort of good that you're channeling your "inner James Brown."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 9:20 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Temple Grandin often says in her public autism speeches, "We need autistics because they see the details".

I am good at seeing details others miss.

XFilesGeek wrote:

I suck at both.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 9:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

:?:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 9:47 am

James Brown wrote a song called "Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud."

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 12:57 am

EzraS wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Temple Grandin often says in her public autism speeches, "We need autistics because they see the details".

XFilesGeek wrote:

I suck at both.

Your writing indicates that you're a kid genius.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 6:25 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
EzraS wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

XFilesGeek wrote:

I suck at both.

Thanks. Unfortunately a good deal of other academic areas says otherwise. The writing is my savant thingy I guess.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 9:28 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm Proud!

I'm to.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 9:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

https://youtu.be/_e9WDfg2idk

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 3:12 pm

EzraS wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
EzraS wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

XFilesGeek wrote:

I suck at both.

Thanks. Unfortunately a good deal of other academic areas says otherwise. The writing is my savant thingy I guess.

Now if only you could combine your vocabulary with knowing what you're talking about; then you'd really have something going. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 4:13 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
I guess the common theme is that there are prejudices/stigma/perceived injustice out there (that's true even for, say, hate groups, white supremacists, etc.). So, people grab an identity. It's always a bit of us-vs-them. In absence of a "them," people wouldn't feel a need to be proud of an identity. No one would say: "I am proud to be a human," because, who are you going to brag that to?

At last somebody has managed to summarise in one paragraph what i have been trying to say in thousands of posts over the last 7 yrs on WP. The missing link here is social stigma...we all internalise it....

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 4:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
eikonabridge wrote:

At last somebody has managed to summarise in one paragraph what i have been trying to say in thousands of posts over the last 7 yrs on WP. The missing link here is social stigma...we all internalise it....

Interesting.

Maybe it's once "others," (from the stars) walk among us that we unite as proud to be human? :? :P