Emu Egg

Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

31 Jul 2018, 3:48 pm

Does he have sleep apnea?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2018, 10:35 pm

Before investing your time posting a response, please be aware that this thread is from 2008 and the original poster moved on long ago.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 2:14 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Before investing your time posting a response, please be aware that this thread is from 2008 and the original poster moved on long ago.

Gone too are all those quasi-MBP (Munchausen-By-Proxy) moms. (Frankly, they should be called MBPBI: Munchausen-By-Proxy-By-Internet). And the forum today, with its low traffic, is actually a much healthier place.

It used to work like this: moms would exchange ideas about medications. Then some of them would report a violent meltdown of their children. Then people would give compliments to each other on how incredibly amazing a job they were doing as parents, on how they couldn't imagine how difficult the other person's daily life must be. Problem was, that was precisely what the MBP moms were seeking after: praises, and sympathy. Every time someone jumped in with their knee-jerk praises and sympathy, I was always like: "oh no, don't you realize what you are doing?" It was like feeding the hungry plant in the "Little Shop of Horrors" movie. And sure enough, those moms would come back with increasingly violent stories of their children. You don't need to be a genius to tell that none of that is sustainable in the long term.

Drawing pictures and taking kids out for fun, connecting their two worlds (happy vs. sad/mad), always works like wonder for my children. No medication needed. I mean, the same principle applies to anxiety.

http://www.eikonabridge.com/fun_and_facts.pdf
http://www.eikonabridge.com/anxiety.pdf

The difference between communication and medication is: with communication, your children develop thinking skills and get more and more mature: they build up connections after connections inside their brains, and suddenly, all their sensory/rigidity problems are gone before you know it. You use medication only to mask the symptoms, but you are not developing the brains of the children. So, once the medication is off, you are back to square one.

The thing is, people that look down upon themselves will always find excuses to use drugs. There is nothing you can do about them. Sure, many autistic people themselves are ableism enablers.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 7:27 pm

^^ got to smile a bit at that ^^

When we went for autism assessment there was a whole shelf in the centre's office dedicated to munchhausen.

Looking back on my own childhood I am often perplexed that my mum never had my frequent fainting, sleepwalking and anxiety investigated.... that she let me move abroad alone at 15 weighing 5.5 stones not noticing I hadn't eaten for the past two years...... but at the end of the day, I am ok and I am glad I didn't get churned through the works of people claiming I was not!

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 2:41 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Gone too are all those quasi-MBP (Munchausen-By-Proxy) moms. (Frankly, they should be called MBPBI: Munchausen-By-Proxy-By-Internet). And the forum today, with its low traffic, is actually a much healthier place.

It used to work like this: moms would exchange ideas about medications. Then some of them would report a violent meltdown of their children. Then people would give compliments to each other on how incredibly amazing a job they were doing as parents, on how they couldn't imagine how difficult the other person's daily life must be. Problem was, that was precisely what the MBP moms were seeking after: praises, and sympathy. Every time someone jumped in with their knee-jerk praises and sympathy, I was always like: "oh no, don't you realize what you are doing?" It was like feeding the hungry plant in the "Little Shop of Horrors" movie. And sure enough, those moms would come back with increasingly violent stories of their children. You don't need to be a genius to tell that none of that is sustainable in the long term.

Drawing pictures and taking kids out for fun, connecting their two worlds (happy vs. sad/mad), always works like wonder for my children. No medication needed. I mean, the same principle applies to anxiety.

http://www.eikonabridge.com/fun_and_facts.pdf
http://www.eikonabridge.com/anxiety.pdf

The difference between communication and medication is: with communication, your children develop thinking skills and get more and more mature: they build up connections after connections inside their brains, and suddenly, all their sensory/rigidity problems are gone before you know it. You use medication only to mask the symptoms, but you are not developing the brains of the children. So, once the medication is off, you are back to square one.

The thing is, people that look down upon themselves will always find excuses to use drugs. There is nothing you can do about them. Sure, many autistic people themselves are ableism enablers.

I take medication, and I do not "look down on myself."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)