Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2008, 9:15 pm

SolitaryShell wrote:
i know how to drive, but I hate driving ..to much stress ...too much noise ...too much caos ..and I´m very frightened to harm somebody or get harmed while driving

I feel the same.
My parents forced me to get my driver's license when I was 18 and leaving for university. I didn't have a problem passing the test. I've always been visually oriented. I simply never enjoyed all the hassle.

My husband (mathematically oriented) had to learn how to drive as soon as he was of legal age (16) for it because he grew up in the country. He says it took him a couple tries to pass the test. He's been in a few accidents.
My whole family grits their teeth when he's at the wheel.
Sitting in the passenger seat while he's driving is one of the few times its a given I'll be stimming.

For the longest time I thought I was just having a hard time dealing with being in the passenger seat,
but on a long drive with my son-in-law and daughter I was actually able to fall asleep as a passenger in their car with either of them driving.

My husband drives goofy but doesn't seem to realize it himself.
I let him drive because no matter how goofy he drives, driving myself just isn't worth the extra aggravation.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 10:48 pm

I'm too busy to learn how to drive and I have epilepsy.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 1:36 pm

I don't feel like learning how to drive, but my parents say that I MUST learn how to drive. I hate the problem though that they won't help me, when I clearly tell tell them that I have a problem studying the manual. I have to see it done to learn it, otherwise it just won't work. But its like they just don't listen, and keep repeating "Just study the manual" when I clearly say I CAN'T, and I have already told them my difficulty.

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2008, 2:41 pm

Metalwolf wrote:
I don't feel like learning how to drive, but my parents say that I MUST learn how to drive. I hate the problem though that they won't help me, when I clearly tell tell them that I have a problem studying the manual. I have to see it done to learn it, otherwise it just won't work. But its like they just don't listen, and keep repeating "Just study the manual" when I clearly say I CAN'T, and I have already told them my difficulty.

When I was in high school back in the 1960s everybody had to take "Driver's Education" class. Since it was a very big school and there weren't enough training cars to teach all the students in within the school year, driving lessons inside an actual car were limited to those students who won a lottery to do so.

Most of us were only given the class room training
and it was explained to us that classroom training only prepared us to take the written test, basically a knowledge of "the Rules of the Road" (laws).

If we wanted to qualify for the driving portion of the driving exam we needed lessons learned in a car while we were observing others and driving ourselves.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 10:49 am

I don't remember getting much classroom training even for the written test; but I think that was because I was in Special Ed, and they generally don't think their students will amount to much in life. :wink:

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

05 Dec 2008, 6:05 pm

I just got the drivers manual. It will be forever until I take the test.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 2:52 pm

Llixgrjb wrote:
I have the feeling that it's just me and a handful of old New Yorkers left who have never touched a steering wheel.

Hey!! You aren't the only one, not by far. I've had my permit for just over a year and I have maybe 1/2 an hour of driving time. I hate being behind the wheel of a car(or in my case, a van). My whole life my parents have said that once I get my licence (or get behind the wheel of a car) I'm something like 4x more likely to get in an accident b/c of being a teen driver & my really freaking slow reaction time. Now, I'm freaked & won't even drive the quarter mile to work that has, like, no cars, ever(the lazyness of driving is b/c it's about 20 freaking degrees outside where I live at the moment :P ). I guess we both should start driving, huh? :)

tlcoopi7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2008, 9:28 pm

In my case, it was driver's ed twice and three times taking the road test before I got my licence on August 17th, 2000, just days before my 19th birthday.

Right now, I have a hard time convincing my mom that I am capable of driving a car. One thing that I did to try to convince her is that I typed up my own driving experience and recorded that I did not have any accidents or tickets of any kind and compared that with two of my siblings, one who lost license because of 2 DUIs.

My goal is try to get around without having to rely on family members. The three options that I have are buy a car (hard to do since I can't get a job), find a job that requires driving (hopes that would convince my mom) or move out of my hometown (I am suggeting that option because my mom drives a transit bus in my hometown

http://www.myspace.com/tlcoopi7 My MySpace Profile

http://www.facebook.com/tlcoopi7 My Facebook Profile

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 6:05 pm

I'm scared to death of driving - to the point that it's a joke in our family.

Cheeseburgers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2009, 7:02 am

Its not so much spacial coordination issues for me, I felt fine every time I practiced and I'm a fine biker. I don't drive because I don't know how to make practicing it a priority (luddite tendencies) and I'm bad with arranging activities with others. My biggest fear with driving is getting cramps from poor leg circulation. It should be a priority, though, because it would open more job opportunities in landscaping, farming, and other skilled labor jobs.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 5:07 pm

I didnt learn to drive till I was 20. I just didnt feel like I had a need for it. Since then I have learned to drive pretty much anything. Last job I drove dump trucks and front end loaders. Learned to use all kinds of heavy equipment and even have a licence to run a crane, and yet I cant tie my own shoes 8O. Look out every one!

irikarah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2009, 5:20 pm

I don't know how to drive and I hear about it constantly.

ARandomPerson
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2009, 8:11 pm

Llixgrjb wrote:
I have the feeling that it's just me and a handful of old New Yorkers left who have never touched a steering wheel. I've always just put it off primarily because of my poor sense of space and direction. Never really got a feel for it. Would any older first time drivers care to share their experience with me? How hard is it really?

i am not due to accute anxiety

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 1:52 am

Me too. I live in a city, I don't need to drive. I just take buses!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 10:41 am

I'll need to drive if I want to be a paramedic, but the last time I tried to learn I almost got myself and adverb killed. :(

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 11:59 am

I took 25 lessons when I was 17, and then the driving instructor told me he just couldn't teach me any more due to me letting go of the steering wheel at roundabouts and junctions. It was the whole manual gear thing that threw me, using my feet and hands at the same time. But I did however manage well on a moped, which was great!

Now, I just use public transport and get cabs... but maybe I should try again in an automatic , if I can find a driving instructor willing to teach me! lol