Advice needed for support for teen Aspie

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Flo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2008, 6:23 pm

Hi, my son is nearly 14 and was medically diagnosed with AS in May this year. Up to now the school has put in various strategies to help him cope with daily routines, however on going back to begin a new term the mentor support has been withdrawn and the quiet room where he was allowed to eat lunch is locked most of the time, resulting in him returning home at 3.30 with his lunch! This seems to happen at the start of each new school year, where changes are made or he has different teachers who are not aware of his needs. I asked the school to refer him for a statement for this reason, but they said that it wasnt needed as the school were managing his support and that the local borough were restricting the amount of statements issued anyway. Do you feel that I should pursue the statement or do you feel that a child can manage without it as long as I keep prompting the school to keep their end of the bargain? I am also worried about long term, I dont know whether exams will have an effect on him, or going for job/college interviews, would a statement help? I am due to go into school this week and woud like to know whether I should be insistent on statement or not? Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks! :)

Hands
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2008, 7:17 pm

I did not have a statement because I don't have an official diagnosis of AS yet, but my brother has a diagnosis of high functioning autism and the school were very reluctant to provide him with any extra support until he had a statement.
A lot of education authorities are restricting the amount of statements issued, they don't like kids having statements because once a kid does have one it means they are legally required to provide any support that is deemed neccesary. It's all about money basically.
The other reason it is better to have a statement is exams. It allows the kid to be able to sit the exams in a quiet room rather than in the exam hall. Although my school allowed me to do this anyway because they were worried I would not show up otherwise. Also it allows them extra time and anything else they might need such as a scribe or a reader.
Ultimately, I think a statement is best. That way the school cannot get out of providing any support your son needs.
Also parents can apply for their child to be statemented, it is better if the school and the parents apply together as you have more chance of being succesful but parents can do it themselves.

Flo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2008, 1:40 pm

Thankyou so much for your reply. I think you have just confirmed what I feel I should do it's just that I always feel that I shouldnt ask for things when other kids may be more in need. My son copes quite well, but I do have to do a lot of things in the background :) and I did wonder if he may need some help at exams, particularly as he has not much organisational skills. It's nice to hear from a teenagers point of view, Thankyou :D

ster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 6:29 pm

i don't know where you are but, here in the US, schools are not supposed to pull the plug on supports without informing the parent of their intention.

Flo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Sep 2008, 2:25 pm

I am in the northwest of England and I have heard that if you have a statement then the school are obliged to fulfil their obligation, but in my situation at the moment I am relying on the goodwill of the school!

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2008, 5:17 pm

Get the statement. Then it is down in black & white what have to do.

The extra help, extra time in exams etc. is worth it.

They they don't want to give it to you take them to a tribunal.
If you need a tribunal try to get an advocate to go with you. Try the National Autistic Society they might be able to arrange one.

I think that they have a helpline for advice on statements etc.

They will try to restrict statements to save money so it's the parents who scream and shout that get them for their kids.

"How can it not know what it is?"

Emen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2008, 8:13 pm

Hi there,
my son is 19 now and I had concerns similar to yours with regard to concessions for exams. Consequently, we had to have a psychological evaluation (private) and a paediatric evaluation (public health system) in order to get the concessions he needed. It was at this time, aged 16, he was diagnosed with mild AS - his previous dx. was Dyspraxia. I had to rattle a few cages re. the school but this was my child's future we were arguing about.

So, insist on a statement and do not rely on the goodwill of the school. Good will without effective action is not enough. You must advocate for your child now before any difficulties are exacerbated and become entrenched.

Your son sounds a lot like mine - J coped pretty well at school but needed a bit more consideration of his particular needs come the exams. J was assigned a reader/writer who was there just to keep him focussed on the task in hand rather than actually read or write for him. He also took the exams in a quiet room alone with no distractions. It sounds to me as if those are the kind of accommodations your boy needs, so be prepared to fight for them.

Be polite, make it clear you understand the school's position regarding underfunding, but above all be firm and insist on that statement.

Good luck.