Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

What do people interpret your flat affect as?
Sadness or depression 21%  21%  [ 25 ]
Sadness or depression 21%  21%  [ 25 ]
Extreme boredom 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
Extreme boredom 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
Anger or frustration 16%  16%  [ 19 ]
Anger or frustration 16%  16%  [ 19 ]
Tenseness or nervousness 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Tenseness or nervousness 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 118

poker_face
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2013, 4:45 pm

stupid is not down as an option

people generally see me as stupid (generally before they even talk to me). Sometimes I think about carrying a book around that makes me look more intelligent. Or hiding my face. Any thoughts people?

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

People often think I'm glaring or leering, probably due to my thick eyebrows. I've also been told that I sound like the voice recordings at airports that say "the white zone is for the loading and unloading of passengers only". I've improved to faking a slight smile when people are looking, like when I get my photo taken, but my voice is pretty hard to raise the volume/tone without yelling.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 4:58 pm

Angry or stuck up.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:28 pm

creepy. I don't know if it's from the lack of expression or the weird expressions which result when I try to act normal, but I've been told I am creepy like killers.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:29 pm

Anger and brooding.

When I am focused on something such as chopping up vegetables or on writing something by hand, people around me often try to poke me or to pull on my clothes, then start to joke around.

When I tell them to stop distracting me, they tell me to cheer up to which I usually respond that I am fine. Then they say that I make an angry face or look as if I'm brooding over something or that I make a face as if someone died or as if I want the whole world to drop dead.

So much mislead interpretation going on there. I am focused on making my veggies look nice!

I mean, seriously? They don't magically chop themselves up in a visually pleasant way if I smile at them. Huh, maybe I got that wrong and next time, I should try to look angry so they start gaining a consciousness and get so scared that they decide to do my bidding?

I could call them "my evil veggie minions".

gratin
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2013, 6:03 pm

The most positive thing any one has ever said is "hypnotic"

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

I don't know. People have assigned all of those listed and more to me when I was unaware of experiencing or broadcasting anything.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 6:25 pm

Angry and/or stuck-up.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Oberoth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 6:33 pm

I've been told to stop looking bored/depressed by my mother, no-one else has said anything. Usually I'm neither bored or depressed, its just how my facial muscles relax.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

When I'm thinking I look angry and when it's just flat it's confusing to people, sometimes stoned looking. I've been told it's just nothing. It's unnerving because it's unnatural for people to have nothing to read from your face.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 8:27 pm

i wish there was an option for more than one in the poll.
My flat affect could be anything. Sadness,boredom,frustration,anger

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm

Nomaken wrote:
I use mannerisms which i pick up from characters i like in movies, so i am able to change up my behaviors and reflect the greater amount of expression i have inside, but my face never changes from a slightly pissed off looking scowl as my friends describe it.

I mimic people from movies etc. I also spend time pulling faces at my webcam. Practice makes not so perfect and all that.

I am told my facial expressions are sometimes over animated rather than flat. Guess I over do it a little bit.

On the other hand if I am not being silly my face tends to just look like I am frowning all the time or people seem to think I look grumpy or fed up. The number of times I have been told to cheer up when I was in a perfectly good mood!

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 2:01 am

I think it's anger and/or nervousness. It's my interpretation of their interpretation of me. No one ever says anything about it because people who misinterpret me don't even speak to me. They just look away and avoid me. So they must be finding me unpleasant and creepy.

But I notice some non-ASD people are capable of interpreting me fairly correctly though there are very few of them. They must have very good skills in reading people.

EDIT: forgot to mention it's 2005 thread

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 4:06 am

Usually sadness or depression.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Mar 2013, 4:30 am

Bored and aloof.
But I am also accused of pulling faces and have got jobs because I am very enthusiastic about the job.
I don't know when I am looking bored or pulling a face.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 10:52 pm

I've been told over and over again that I need to smile more because I always look so serious. My thing is, if I actually have something to smile for, then I'll do it. Most of the time, I don't see anything to smile at; it doesn't mean I'm unhappy. I wish other people would realize that.