Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 5:49 pm

I think I can answer that one; you said she was wrong and people don't like to be told they're wrong. It's a little embarrassing.

I mean, in most cases, it's worth it to be embarrassed, because now you know you were wrong; but it's still not pleasant.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 5:56 pm

You are no doubt correct.

It's still stupid. I figure, if you are never wrong, then you're closed into the box of your expertise and never try to do anything outside it. The only way to never be wrong is to never have a new idea. Heh. And they say autistic people are inflexible and have narrow interests.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 6:20 pm

Electric_Kite wrote:
Here's a prime one: I was in the dispensary, counting out antibiotic tablets. My boss the vet wanders by and says, "I was on that antibiotic once." I replied, "I certainly hope not, this one isn't approved for humans, it makes some people go blind. You were probably on," and named another, very similar antibiotic that is used in humans. It took about two days before she stopped acting angry to me. I still don't understand why anybody would consider this a breach of 'proper' social-rank-behavior and find it offensive instead of being happy that I knew something about the drugs we used. Madness.

Some people just don't like to be corrected. I knew one person who was quit anal about it. Like, we were both on a internet forum for a band, and he thought I should never correct anything anyone posted. Like, if someone posting something about a live show, and got something wrong (date, time, place), apparently, I'm supposed to leave that.

I've learned to sometimes not bother with correcting. But, there are times when it's appropriate.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 6:57 pm

MR wrote:
I've learned to sometimes not bother with correcting. But, there are times when it's appropriate.

Yeah. That time, I should have kept my mouth shut, and if I hadn't been thinking about counting at the same time, I would have.

There are times, though, when it's absolutely necessary, and I really wish I knew how to handle it then, to avoid the negative social consequences. I got really depressed about it, there were a couple of times when dogs died that I think would have lived if I'd been listened to instead of dismissed and yelled at for 'questioning authority' or whatever the heck they thought I was doing.

Star
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2008, 11:35 pm

Electric_Kite wrote:
Yeah. That time, I should have kept my mouth shut, and if I hadn't been thinking about counting at the same time, I would have.
There are times, though, when it's absolutely necessary, and I really wish I knew how to handle it then, to avoid the negative social consequences. I got really depressed about it, there were a couple of times when dogs died that I think would have lived if I'd been listened to instead of dismissed and yelled at for 'questioning authority' or whatever the heck they thought I was doing.

What you describe is what is so wrong with our world, not just societies like the ones in the USA or Europe, but in general. We keep telling ourselves that we are all equal and we buy into that lie while we all know it's a lie but no one dares to raise a hand and say: "Ah! Pardon me but this "we are all equal" thingy is just BS!"

We allow ourselves to be walked over in the name of social well-being and happiness (more lies both of these), while people like us autistics who really care, walk the extra mile to learn all that we need to serve others better and avoid making mistakes, we are pushed aside because in our effort to do the right thing (instead of the lie thing) we step on someone's social toes!

You know, I would have called the dog's owner and told them that I tried to save their pet but I was not listened to while I knew that my suggestion would save it! And I would do it because if a vet puts het own ego above the life of an animal that s/he is supposed to save then she deserves to get sued!

And if you think I mean for doing such a thing, then tell how would it feel if it was your dog that died, or your child for that matter as I am sure there are surgeon's assistants, doctor's assistants that are silenced when they try to give their knowledgable opinion, just because they stepped on the doctor's or surgeon's socially sensitive toes!

We live in a society which is blind and deaf and will only accept each other if they agree to cover each other's mistakes, lies, stupidity, cheating, and all the rest. Those who do not agree to play this so-called social game (the autistics thus) are seen as rude, asocial, abnormal, etc.

And we take it! We apologize to these idiots for being rude, we shut our mouth the next time round, we feel bad and quilty for hurting their feelings, for not playing their social charade, for causing a problem!

Are you in your right mind people???

They get hurt because they trip and fall over their own huge egos, not because we speak the truth, not because we DO know more than they do cause we DO bother and do want to know everything so we make sure not to be an idiot!! !

Because as Aspies we are peaceful, polite, friendly, kind and helpful people we accept these bullies who rule our lives and society in general. But for how long????

How long will we aspies keep silent and respecful of others' huge egos while they walk over ours and we do not say a word???

Oh wait!! ! I forgot!

We are abnormal, we are broken, we are an epidemic, we are sick and mentally unstable, we are autistic. Our egos do not count, our need for truth does not count, our extensive knowldge does not count. None of these counts because we have to abide to THEIR RULES, their egotictic rules, their hypocricy and lies.

For how long I ask, for how long???????????

07 Sep 2008, 11:41 pm

It's not just NTs that miss interpret what we say, aspies do it too. It has been done to me by other ASDs so that's how I know.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 11:43 pm

So well said, Star!

And doctors are the worst case of this.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2008, 12:05 am

JohnHopkins wrote:
while it is funny, finding it funny when you offend someone isn't a great attitude to have.

I agree, i really gotta stop doing it myself.

Star
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2008, 12:10 am

prillix wrote:
JohnHopkins wrote:
while it is funny, finding it funny when you offend someone isn't a great attitude to have.

I agree, I really gotta stop doing it myself.

You know what, it is funny! It is hillarious!! ! And you know why? Because they are that stupid to get offended instead of thinking for a moment and realizing that maybe the other person meant it well.

That is why it is funny and everyone SHOULD laugh when someone is offended by such a remark, because what offended them was down right their own stupidity.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 12:29 am

what offended them was down right their own stupidity.

One of my biggest problems is I tend to overestimate people's intelligence in this regard. Since I would've understood immediately that the dog is being compared to the daughter because they're both loved dependents, it wouldn't have crossed my mind that someone else wouldn't see that connection as the most likely interpretation in the context of the situation. It's practically impossible for me to predict a person's level of understanding, and this is one of the major reasons I'm considered rude, offensive, hurtful, blunt and rejected. I usually think people will understand things much more than the average human actually does. People around me seem to have a natural "gauge" for what another's thought process will be. Some more than others, but I'm an unusually big zero at this.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 1:59 am

anna-banana wrote:
Electric_Kite wrote:
Here's a prime one: I was in the dispensary, counting out antibiotic tablets. My boss the vet wanders by and says, "I was on that antibiotic once." I replied, "I certainly hope not, this one isn't approved for humans, it makes some people go blind. You were probably on," and named another, very similar antibiotic that is used in humans. It took about two days before she stopped acting angry to me. I still don't understand why anybody would consider this a breach of 'proper' social-rank-behavior and find it offensive instead of being happy that I knew something about the drugs we used. Madness.

I read your post twice and still don't find that offending... you mean she thought you were all "I know better than you"?

That behavior is called "pulling rank" on someone. Some people, and I'm not saying that you do this, but some people pull rank on others constantly. Some people who "pull rank" watch for the slightest error that others might make, or the slightest indiscretion so they can jump on it, and use it to make the other person feel small. Some people interact predominantly by pulling rank and it's their main social lubricant. I'm not saying you would do that, just that the whole thing of pointing out another person's errors, that is, "pulling rank" can be done in a way that is kind of offensive.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 4:38 am

One of my favourite sentences: "I didn't mean it that way (insert explanation here."

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:25 am

Thanks, Star.

Star wrote:
We allow ourselves to be walked over in the name of social well-being and happiness

Oh, in truth I didn't let stuff like that happen in the name of social well-being. A combonation of bewilderment and the need to eat, rather.

Quote:
You know, I would have called the dog's owner

Naw. How could I prove such a thing, and how outrageous is that in the public sphere -- I don't even have the 'CVT' and I say that my treatment plan would have worked when the DVM's didn't? Degrees do mean something. It's more that, hey, in a world where the doctor's assistant and the doctor see each other as. Heh. Anything other than social rivals, then, "Excuse me, but I think you may wish to rethink your action, or consider X," is quite a valuable thing for an assistant to say so long as he's not a moron.

anandamide wrote:
That behavior is called "pulling rank" on someone. Some people, and I'm not saying that you do this, but some people pull rank on others constantly. Some people who "pull rank" watch for the slightest error that others might make, or the slightest indiscretion so they can jump on it, and use it to make the other person feel small.

Does everyone call it that? I thought "pulling rank" was argument against the person ("I'm the boss so you're wrong,"). Doesn't matter. You're right, my blithely telling her she was naming the wrong antibiotic was an annoying thing to do. I thought I was talking about an interesting antibiotic and wondering which member of that 'family' of drugs she had actually taken. She probably thought I was talking about her being wrong. She did rather blow it out of proportion, I think.

A friend of mine does this sort of thing constantly. You'll say, "It's three 'o clock," and she'll say, "Three o' four," etc. This is mildly annoying, but easily brushed off.

I suppose the thing is that most humans attribute social reasons to most behaviors. If you're thinking, "Doing this in order to appear superior (to me)" those things are more irritating than if you suppose that I happened to care about antibiotics and that my friend has some OCD, or that all people are irritating in some way or another for reasons too boring and too personal for a reasonable being to interest himself in.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:28 am

Star wrote:
prillix wrote:
JohnHopkins wrote:

I agree, I really gotta stop doing it myself.

You know what, it is funny! It is hillarious!! ! And you know why? Because they are that stupid to get offended instead of thinking for a moment and realizing that maybe the other person meant it well.

That is why it is funny and everyone SHOULD laugh when someone is offended by such a remark, because what offended them was down right their own stupidity.

It is funny. But I've gotta argue with why it is, since I misinterpret NTs all the time, and I'd like to think it isn't because I'm an idiot.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 9:37 am

Greentea wrote:
Since I would've understood immediately that the dog is being compared to the daughter because they're both loved dependents, it wouldn't have crossed my mind that someone else wouldn't see that connection as the most likely interpretation in the context of the situation.

I didn't make that connection because what I meant was exactly what you said- that they are both loved dependats. I didn't mean that the kid is somehow like a dog in any other respect. the guy I spoke to though seemed actually offended as if I meant it that way.

so the way I see it, it was HIM who was being slow here since he didn't get the connection of dependence of the dog/kid and therefore the spoilt plans for the day. he instead chose to think that what I said was actually an insult to his kid and that way of reasoning is what I find so hard to understand in NTs.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 10:40 am

"pulling rank"....

You're right. I meant breaking rank. Sorry. haha. Now I feel dumb, and a little offended.