Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 11:12 pm

I just quit smoking about 3 weeks ago, and every time I do this, My sense of smell comes back and seems to have a vengeance.

I actually quit quitting once because I couldn't handle the smells.

Is this a normal thing?

I dunno, my sense of smell is damn near driving me nuts this last week.

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2008, 3:21 am

I know that smoking can mess with your sense of smell. And maybe you're a little hypersensitive already, and smoking covered it up, so when you stopped it came back, well, violently.

I know I can have a pretty hypersensitive sense of smell a lot of times. Sometimes wearing perfume/body spray/etc that smells good, and strong, but is not overpowering helps. It's in the "forefront" and everything else is less intense.

blamo
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2008, 5:39 am

certainly am...and thanks for quitting , I can't stand cigarette smoke smelly people. I live near a cementary, the workers throw huge amounts vegetation over a cliff in the back and I can smell it as I drive by. It might be an asscociation thing but I hate it anyway.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 11:13 am

Extremely sensitive to smell, and reactive to most artificial scents. My asthma starts up when I smell chemical 'perfumes'. It's like they can't make anything these days without scenting it. I use unscented shaving lotion, soap, and shampoo. It's difficult to find these items.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 12:44 pm

flutter wrote:
I just quit smoking about 3 weeks ago.

Congratulations, keep it up. Nasty habit...

I would presume your sense of smell when smoking would have been seen as normal when smoking. The point at which you stopped enabled you to smell properly so everything seems to be more powerful, and to add to any hypersensitivity you may already have. Just my thought here

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 3:54 pm

flutter wrote:
I dunno, my sense of smell is damn near driving me nuts this last week.

I always cover my nose up with a bit of my shirt...don't really care what anyone else thinks :roll:

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 3:56 pm

Congrats for quitting firstly and I would think that if anyone quits smoking it would mess up their senses, but for those under the spectrum that have sensory issues would probably be that much worse.. it shall pass though

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 4:02 pm

One of the reasons I smoke now is because it dulls my sense of smell and makes being around people with their scented soaps, shampoos, aftershaves, perfumes, deodorant, etc all mixing together at least tolerable.

I think Id quit if I didn't have to be around so many people on a regular basis.. weird thing is it would be quite easy actually as the addictive nature of nicotine doesn't seem to work on me.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 4:12 pm

Fraya wrote:
One of the reasons I smoke now is because it dulls my sense of smell and makes being around people with their scented soaps, shampoos, aftershaves, perfumes, deodorant, etc all mixing together at least tolerable.

I think Id quit if I didn't have to be around so many people on a regular basis.. weird thing is it would be quite easy actually as the addictive nature of nicotine doesn't seem to work on me.

Yeah, I actually made that conscious decision at one point.... to smoke to kill the sense of smell.

The few people that I'd told that thought I was insane.

This thread kinda validates that experience for me.

Alas, I have to quit smoking or they won't let me on HRT. HRT is hormone replacement therapy - and you can't smoke while taking the meds for the same reason that women on the pill shouldn't smoke.... clotting, stroke, etc...... and they flat out won't let you start HRT till you quit smoking.

I still get the occasional twingey nicotine headache, but for the most part the physical addiction is worked out, and taking a puff tastes like absolute crap.

However, I still want to do the activity...... I get fidgety and start chewing things..... I underestimated how much of a stim it was for me.

ugh.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 5:48 pm

Just like you, flutter, I have never meet a smell I liked, which is the reason that I'm very grateful for my allergy meds. Take care now, congratulations, and keep up the good work.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 5:55 pm

I only smoke socially and always have a problem dealing with the sense of smell/taste the day after. or a few days after. it passes though.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2008, 6:00 pm

My husband smokes alot and I can hardly tolerate the smell. I feel bad saying it but he stinks and it's a turn off. So congrats! Also should add that he can't smell a darn thing, so I know smoking can cause you to lose your sense of smell, so hopefully now that you're regaining it, it will only seem intense right at first. You'll probably adjust, hang in there!

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2008, 9:23 pm

Get some gum you like - it will help occupy your mouth when you have a need to smoke. Find something to do with your hands, too. Knitting, sewing, making chainmail, anything that requires a little concentration and both your hands.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 10:22 pm

Yeah, I've had this problem too. When I've quit before my sense of smell was way strong. It's already over the top, while smoking. When I quit I literally have had times where I have to run to the nearest trash can, because of dry heaves from everyday odors. My nose is a double edged sword for me. When I smell something nice it's like a gift, but when I smell an odor that is barely noticable to others, but feels like torture for me it's not so nice.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2008, 10:22 pm

nekowafer wrote:
Find something to do with your hands, too. Knitting, sewing, making chainmail...

I could sure use a decent piece of armor before taking on that fiendish dragon. :wink:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 12:54 pm

serenity wrote:
...when I smell an odor that is barely noticable to others, but feels like torture for me it's not so nice.

I have to cover my nose in stores if we pass the candle section or anything like that...it's especially bad at the mall...as soon as you enter, the nail salon smells like rubber balls, and then right after that, the candy store's roasting almonds :x And they have entire shops dedicated to potpourri and candles!!