aspie 67%  67%  [ 71 ]
aspergian 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
autistic 22%  22%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 106

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 7:18 am

I say i have AS, aspie sounds like a pet name or something. :?
If someone were to ask if i were aspie i would go along with it as it doesnt realy bother me too much.

GrendelUlf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2008, 10:26 am

Becuause I think John Robison rocks.

I have to say though the whole self diagnonsis thing really bothers me. If you read enough about any disease/phobia/sydrome/disorder you can believe you have it.

Certainly Asperger's Syndrome is rather popular right now as much as it dismays me to say. I am not saying that there are not people who haven't correctly diagnosed themselves but the great majority of us went through hells that cannot be accurately described for a great deal of our lives until we fortunatley came in to contact with a good Psycologist/Psychiatrist or other qualified professional who diagnosed us correctly and will have to deal with this the reast of our lives. Hopefully better equipped to handle issues. At one point I think I was almost diagnosed with Schiztophrenia. I think a lot of these people will move on to the next trend of whatever is on CNN a lot.

This has just been bother me so much I just have to say it.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 11:00 am

I'm comfortable with aspie and autistic. I use them interchangeably.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 8:34 am

I like "Aspie"; that's what I call myself when describing my AS. I think it gives AS a postitive light, because it's a fun term to say. I have never used "Aspergian," but I think that term is better to be used in a professional setting (like giving a presentation or something) than "Aspie." "Aspergian" just sounds more formal. I never use "autistic" to describe someone with AS, because I'm one of the people who believes that Asperger's is a form of Nonverbal Learning Disorder, not a form of autism.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 8:45 am

I consider myself to be an Aspie.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 8:51 am

Its not possible for me to be an Aspie because of a speech delay history... and personally I think its silly but those are the rules apparently.

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2008, 11:50 am

I use Aspie on here and with my mum, but with everyone else, I say "Asperger's Syndrome" as no one knows what "Aspie" is.

I also only use Autistic with my mum because I don't like having to deal with, and defend myself against the ignorant "You can't be Autistic because (fill in the blank)" responses. I've noticed that with most people, if they have an idea of something in their mind, and you go against that idea, they will deny it like their life depends on it, for whatever reason, so I get through to know one if I use "Autistic".

RubieRoze
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2008, 1:25 pm

GrendelUlf wrote:
I have to say though the whole self diagnonsis thing really bothers me.

Why should it bother you how someone chooses to label him or herself?

GrendelUlf wrote:
I am not saying that there are not people who haven't correctly diagnosed themselves but the great majority of us went through hells that cannot be accurately described for a great deal of our lives until we fortunatley came in to contact with a good Psycologist/Psychiatrist or other qualified professional who diagnosed us correctly and will have to deal with this the reast of our lives.

And one wouldn't have to deal with it for the rest of one's life if not diagnosed, self or otherwise? If one can relate with symptoms and useful find coping strategies like those found on WP, what harm is that to you?

If someone were to use a self-diagnosis of Asperger's an an excuse for [insert inappropriate behavior here], then yes, I can see your point. But then that person would probably find an excuse to do what s/he wants anyway.

Used as a springboard for self-education and self-awareness, though, I'm finding it quite useful.

If it ever were to come up, I would probably identify it as something like "Asperger's, which is a mild form of autism."

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:07 pm

I think "aspie" sonds stupid and has a negetive ring to it. I say I am autistic and if people find it negetive they can kiss my ass.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:14 pm

RubieRoze wrote:
GrendelUlf wrote:
I have to say though the whole self diagnonsis thing really bothers me.

Why should it bother you how someone chooses to label him or herself?

Some people rightly or wrongly (mostly wrongly) go through a resentful faze.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:15 pm

I call myself all name under the sun until I'm not listening to myself any more

I'm not sure what I would call myself as I'm waiting for my diagnosis still... For the meantime I think I will refer myself as autistic.

Now - should I vote on that? .. :roll:

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 6:00 pm

Aspergian.

I really dislike the term 'aspie', although I do catch myself using it, being so popular. I just find it a bit disparaging, aswell as a bit silly and twee.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 9:32 pm

I use "Aspie" and "autistic" about equally often. People tend to know what autism is; but "Aspie" is more precise because I fit Asperger's more than any other kind of autism. I don't have trouble with people assuming I have MR because I don't come across that way, since I use a big vocabulary when I talk. And, anyway, if I were overloaded enough not to be able to speak properly, I wouldn't be able to explain how Asperger's is a kind of autism and people have weird ideas about autism, because you have to be calm enough to talk for that!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2008, 2:53 pm

I chose aspie bcuz it's short form.

d1ng0d0g
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2008, 3:49 pm

I am an asparagus.

(which in Dutch is like saying you're an Asperge(rs))

I like the joke. Because I am, me, and I would just like to be called by my name.

So, in voting, I didn't because I did not agree with all of the above.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2008, 4:15 pm

I chose autistic. Most people I've found don't know what Asperger's is anyway, let alone aspie or any variation on the name. If I say autistic, then I can explain about Asperger's.