Adults spotted without children to be interrogated

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 3:34 am

tweety_fan wrote:
...you can't take the protection too far.

I believe that has replaced cricket as the national sport in the UK. For example, did you know that all the urban areas in the entire country are blanketed in police CCTV cameras for the ostensible purpose of catching "soccer hooligans"?

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 3:57 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Damn British. :roll:

Yeah, because over here we're so much more reasonable... :roll: :lol:

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 8:21 am

tweety_fan wrote:
so the guy just was called a pedo because he talked to the kids and gave them their ball back??? What a joke..

That's right.

tweety_fan wrote:
it is understandable to want your kids to be safe, but at the same time you can't take the protection too far.
i mean it is unfair that parents are unable to take pictures of their own kids at sports events ridiculous, for the love of cake, really, u can't chronicle the life of your kids???

Yes, it's that bad. The thing is, nobody seems to consider that paranoia, hysteria, and this strange cocktail of cotton-wool physical overprotectiveness and emotional neglect are in themselves damaging. Given how comparatively unhappy children are here compared to almost everywhere else in the developed world (in that study, the US and the UK were at the bottom), despite the country's prosperity, comparatively low levels of violent crime and large welfare state, you have to say this is a society that is dismally failing its children in all non-material aspects.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Igor
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2008, 6:20 am

Britain has exchanged common sense for crass stupidity and we get more & more of these stories everyday.

Law after law has given these petty bureaucrats powers far exceeding what they ought to have. We see this with local councils using anti-terrorism legislation to spy on people overfilling bins (garbage cans) and following parents & their kids because they think they're living outside of the school catchment area. Can you imagine, getting a criminal record for having your bin-lid 1" open?

Or how about only having your rubbish / trash collected once every two weeks in hot weather (if we ever get any :lol: ), because this "will make you recycle".

It all sounds ridiculous, but it is all reported in the more reputable media, not just the tabloids.

Meanwhile, the real criminals who are making our towns and cities no-go areas can literally get away with murder. Even if they do go to prison, half the time they end up in something like a holiday-camp with Sky TV and Playstations.

Let's face it, you're probably more likely to end up with a criminal record for overfilling your bin than you are if you're a paedo.

I am really getting sick of living here and seeing all the crap that happens everyday. :evil:

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Sep 2008, 2:44 pm

I believe this particular national hysteria may be related to the lack of physical affection shown by parents to their children in England.As a result of growing up without normal kisses/hugs from parents they become similar hands off emotionally distant parents and bundle up their fear of closeness into the bogeyman/stranger hysteria.
They should try to be more loving to their kids instead like parents in other European countries like France.

pbcoll wrote:
I think 'acting suspicously' will be interpreted to mena not with their SO, not a parent, not jogging: In the UK, parents are not allowed to take photos of their own children at school events for fear of pedophiles. A guy I know deliberately limits contact with his nephews for fear of being labeled a pedophile. Another guy was near a park, some kids kicked a football near him, he picked it up, kicked it back at them and said 'hi, kids,' and they started shouting 'pedo, pedo.' I trained to work with children, and the first and most emphasised piece of advice was never to physically come in contact with them - not even if they have an accident, not even in an emergency (this even though we got background checks, we were never left alone with the kids, etc). Another person I know (foreign female) once she saw a child on the street, without an umbrella or raincoat, getting soaked in the heavy rain, and she shared her umbrella - the child was amazed a perfect stranger would offer help.
Yet apart from from this pedophile hysteria, once children are old enough to open the fridge on their own, they're usually just ignored by their parents and are in effect raised by schools and their peers (why these parents had kids in the first place is beyond me). This in a society where the adults moan about how awful children, and especially teenagers, are (they're not that bad in my experience - but in any case, if they really are that bad, doesn't the generation supposed to raise them bear some responsibility?). Unlike in other societies, teenagers are only ever mentioned in the news as either victims or perpetrators of crime. On a documentary on tv, they showed various exceptionally overprotected kids - tellingly, one of them said she was afraid of teenagers, even though she had not actually had any bad experiences with them, and could give no concrete reasons for this fear. Also, while these kids' parents were all paranoid about pedophiles, and some of them were paranoid about their physical safety, not even one of them seemed to even think about their emotional well-being, let alone the impact of this over-protectiveness and paranoia.
On a study about children's happiness, it turned out British kids are just about the most unhappy in the entire developed world, well behind less developed countries like Poland and Italy. I wasn't surprised.
I wouldn't want to raise a family here, and would rather take my chances in my violent Third World country.

Berk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2008, 3:56 pm

Warsie wrote:

f**k common sense and f**k the children.

PAEDO! I'm gonna come round and hang you.... :x

The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power, because they control the minds of the masses - Malcom X

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 4:32 pm

It's not surprising. Parents love to raise temper tantrums when they have to realize that life exsists outside the baby bubble. "What do you mean I can't bring my shreiking child into this resturant, I'm a parent!" "You can't tell me my children need to behave, I'm a parent!" "You don't know anything, you're not a parent!" There simply is no rationalizing with the growing amount of parents, who feel being a parent entitles them to behave with the same rationale and anger as their own small children.

I wonder how kids these days ever learn not to throw temper tantrums. The minute mommy or daddy says, no don't throw a temper tantrum, they turn around and throw one themselves.

Berk

22 Sep 2008, 4:49 pm

The real solution is to ban children....

The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power, because they control the minds of the masses - Malcom X