Give your definition of what aspergers is

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 10:13 am

can not delete this post, but it is deleted in essence

Last edited by b9 on 16 Sep 2008, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 10:16 am

JWRed wrote:

JWREd~
You are one of the most disgruntled Aspies I have ever encountered. IMO, ODD and certain personality disorders are much worse.

i would like to be disgruntled if i was infested by gruntles.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2008, 10:20 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

JWREd~
You are one of the most disgruntled Aspies I have ever encountered. IMO, ODD and certain personality disorders are much worse.

DO NOT call me an "aspie". I have no desire to cling to this malady like you and the rest of the delusional people on this board.

Do not attack me anymore. It is a battle you will lose.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 10:25 am

b9 wrote:
JWRed wrote:

JWREd~

i would like to be disgruntled if i was infested by gruntles.

b9, that made me laugh :lol:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 10:27 am

JWRed wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

JWREd~

DO NOT call me an "aspie". I have no desire to cling to this malady like you and the rest of the delusional people on this board.

Do not attack me anymore. It is a battle you will lose.

okay JWred but I don't consider this to be a battle and I have absolutely nothing against you. I don't think of this as a battle at all, just a disarming discussion on a message board. I am sorry if I offended you.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2008, 11:05 am

b9: I like your post, it made me recognize myself. I think I would have described it the same way if I had been better with words.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 12:59 pm

In my own words, I'd say that Aspergers is simply a different way of learning,thinking, and interacting with the world around me and all that it includes. Yes, I tend to have a great many difficulties both in the mental and social area yet, I try not to let it discourage me and simply do as best as possible with my life...

bloop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2008, 1:39 pm

From an NT point of view - I really like some of the definitions on this thread, particularly the ones that specifically address certain behaviours that can frustrate or confuse NTs.

Things that are easy for us to understand, and that are practical and to the point, would be things like Callista has posted (although there are other good ones too).

If you were to pick just a couple things to mention, I would probably mention the 3 things that freak NTs out the most (IMO) -

"I find it hard to make eye contact but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in what you have to say" (or if you AREN'T interested then politely change the subject)

"I find it hard to understand imagery in conversation / read between the lines of what people say so I hope you don't mind if I misunderstand or ask you to explain differently)"

"I often prefer to work or to be on my own - please don't be offended if I spend time on my own or don't chat much, it's just the way I am. It doesn't mean I don't like you it just means I need my own space."

Of course some people may look at you strangely when you say these things out of the blue which is probably the time to say this is because of a developmental condition that you have. Up to you whether to use the word Asperger's but I guess it would help promote awareness.

These of course may not be the exact reasons behind your behaviour but these are the worries that NTs have when Aspies behave in certain ways, and I would say these are easily understandable and non-confrontational ways to promote understanding.

Hope these suggestions help.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

17 Sep 2008, 4:12 am

b9 wrote:
in order to understand "aspergerness" it is necessary to know how fundamental autism is, and then think of people with varying degrees of both intensity, and mastery over that prevailing condition.

autism is "selfism".
"auto" means "self".

"selfism" is like being stuck inside your own version of the world, and never having the "windows" open so the breeze of other peoples thoughts can freshen my minds room.

i am quite lower functioning than you i suspect, so what i say may not be relevant.

quite relevant, benign

FYI:
yes, related to autos=self
but what i have never seen remarked yet, is that the word is not as much related to auto-as-in-automobile, autobiography &cccccc,
but was formed quite specifically analogous to the word autarchy:

a political or economical state of selfsufficiency
eg: the economy does not in any way rely on import (or export)

from that it follows that any point of interest is not located outside the autarchic system; from that it may be assumed that the interest (of fulfilling needs) is pointed at within the system

may your god forgive you

Saffy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2008, 4:42 am

When I am giving an initial explanation to parents about their child ( if they have a fresh diagnosis)
I would normally say something along the lines of this

" It is a different way of being in the world than for you or I. It is not a delay- it is a difference. Children with ASD may have different sensory perceptions ( either stronger or weaker ). They so not have the instinctive social communication skills that most of us have, for a child with ASD what is expected socially has to be learned. They will always be different, they will always function in a different way, and having ASD is an integral part of who they are, and how they are. It is part of what makes your child who he/she is. From this point forward , the best thing you can do for your child is to work hard at understanding them, and as they get older help them understand themselves and their strengths and weaknesses." etc...

My husband tends not to tell people unless he knows them well that he has AS, but if he does .. he normally just says something like "Oh I have AS, I don't have the best social skills" He will sometimes mention his memory also if relevant, e.g he CANNOT keep a schedule or list ( out of context - like a shopping list of 5 things )straight in his head no matter how hard he tries- unless he puts it to music. So he has a fun phone that he uses as a reminder system.
But mostly he just mentions the odd thing that might be problematic in that particular setting. If people say - what is AS, he normally just says it is a mild form of Autism - that seems to be enough of an explanation for most people. Occasionally people will ask more.. and if they do it is normally because the are thinking about someone that they think may have it.

I think the detail of the explanation really depends on the setting .. the person and how much of an interest they actually have. Sorting out casual interest, vs" I really want more information on this topic "

I think I got sidetracked.......

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 9:41 am

an excuse

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:43 am

anna-banana wrote:
that's a very powerfull post b9.

I almost started doubting I actually have AS...

please do not let anything i say make you wonder about yourself.
i am not like many people, and if you think i am a "model" of asperger syndrome, then that is not correct.

there is no one that is a model for AS, because AS people are as different from each other as they are from NT's.

it is not like all NT's are similar to other NT's, and all AS's are similar to other AS's

it is like most NT's are similar to other NT's , and most AS's are different to all other people.

i am on the threshold of HFA and AS , and you may be far up in the clear headed heights of asperger syndrome's mildest stages, which is just before the intersection with the NT's reality.

we are both diagnosed with the same thing, but our realities are very different.

let us liken it to a condition they may call a "walking deficit" (in analogy to our "social deficit")

say you have a mild limp, and i am helpless in a wheelchair.
we still both have the walking deficit.
you should not think you do not because you see mine is more severe.

i do not want to influence any people to think of themselves with reference to me.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:13 am

oblio wrote:
quite relevant, benign.

you may just well "be nigh on"
the fact i'd once "been iron"
if my blueprints you'd "been eyein' "
you woulda seen i am now "b-9".

(which is the model number of the "environmental analysis and control" robot in the series "lost in space")

oblio wrote:
FYI:
yes, related to autos=self

i do not remember asking whether i was correct.
but thanks anyway.

oblio wrote:
but what i have never seen remarked yet, is that the word is not as much related to auto-as-in-automobile, autobiography &cccccc,

it is not a word but a prefix.

"auto mobile" is a correct application of the prefix.

"mobile" means "movable"
so "auto mobile" means "self movable". it hearkens from the days when people were astounded to see a carriage move without being drawn by a horse.

"auto bio graphy" is "self life depiction"

oblio wrote:
but was formed quite specifically analogous to the word autarchy:

a political or economical state of selfsufficiency
eg: the economy does not in any way rely on import (or export)

from that it follows that any point of interest is not located outside the autarchic system; from that it may be assumed that the interest (of fulfilling needs) is pointed at within the system

no.
"auto" comes from ancient greek.

the word they used was "autos" which was their word for "self"
that was about 1000 B.C.

interesting post and thanks for replying

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2008, 5:04 pm

Aspergers has in the past equated to confusion, when it came to interaction, or rather relaying information accurately/effectively, why I kept on bashing into the door frame, had dropped another glass, hated change and couldn't get my arm to quit twitching, I was constantly confused.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

20 Sep 2008, 2:01 am

b9 wrote:

no.
"auto" comes from ancient greek.

the word they used was "autos" which was their word for "self"
that was about 1000 B.C.

yes.
my point exactly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autarchy

the concept stems from Ancient Greek Polical Philosophy
(would there be such a thing as non-ancient greek philosophy)

in practice, self-sufficience translates as independence,
so i always thought of it as quite a reasonable goal, if attainable,
which, in retrospect, comes across as a quite autistic point of view
(rather than theory-of-mind)

& even that can be taken both ways

i'm not sure whether the old thinkers ever saw their
theoretical vision embodied in any autarchic city state

anyway, in the real world, it doesn't work
ironically, if it would be the auti-goal to be (survive) independent(ly),
that goal is self-defeating

meanwhile, do i hear bells aringing?

may your god forgive you